Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

acid / oil test kit

I'm Looking for the part number/name of an acid oil test kit that uses just a plastic tube and litmus paper with a schrader depresser instead of a full oil test kit. I received one in a compressor package but can't find any around. Thank you in advance for the help.

Post Likes
    Trying to remember the manufacturer but I know you can purchase them through C.C. Dickson...part #qt2000. I want to say that they are Qwik brand. Hope this helps.

http://www.qwik.com/qwik-check.jsp

Found them on Qwik website, edited in the url
    UA LOCAL 614...WE DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

Always remember, those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself. -Richard Nixon-

Post Likes
    Thanx alot for the help! There's little at the wholesaler in a small town so I end up having to find most things and bring them in myself. Thanx again

Post Likes
    they are qwik test acid test kit. put on suction or liquid line for 2 seconds,i go for five though. been using them for year. the yellow paper turns pink with acid detected. may be called qwik check too.
    I need some free-zone in my compensate line.
    I am just a cog in the wheel.

Post Likes
    save your money and use your nose...these only work if the smell of acid is obvious...acid forms in the oil and that is why you need to buy a kit that will test oil...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mikep View Post
    save your money and use your nose...these only work if the smell of acid is obvious...acid forms in the oil and that is why you need to buy a kit that will test oil...
    Rather not use my nose if I dont have to! And acid / oil kits are to much of a pain, when I'm working on bigger systems (semi's etc) then I'd only do an oil test but on 5 ton a/c's etc. I'd much rather just use something like the qwik check test kit. Thanks though...

Post Likes
    What I am saying is that the pH paper only works if the acid content is strong, pungent and obvious. So you mis-diagnose units that have acid but at levels below nose detection because these strips can't pick it up. This is why these strips are worthless. We had them in the shop to test refrigerant we planned to reclaim. A waste of money, and it irks me that good service people are putting their trust in these things.

Post Likes
    Have you looked at the "Checkmate Test Kit" from rtxs.com? I don't own one personally but have heard good things about it. Comes with seperate tubes for oil, moisture, and acid. You can test from the suction port while it's running. RTXS SKU# RT700K Johnstone #B12-068

Post Likes
    I heard many times the test tube types not reliable in a sense that by the time they show up positive, major damage has already occured.

Post Likes
    I use the tester twice, first on the suction SV, then on the liquid SV. If it don't change color, who cares about the oil, the new compressor will have fresh oil in it, and the filter dryer will clean up the rest.

Post Likes
    apparently it will work at 1 part per million, turn from yellow to orange, and 10ppm it turns red.

Seems sensitive enough to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thefonz1 View Post
    apparently it will work at 1 part per million, turn from yellow to orange, and 10ppm it turns red.

Seems sensitive enough to me.
    The refrigerant we tested using the strips contained between 250-700 ppm acid and the strips never changed color. You can start to smell acid at about 1000ppm. This is why I say you are wasting your money with these testers. BTW 1 ppm is the legal limit according to ARI 700. We reclaim refrigerant about once a month and the only acid and moisture tester we will trust is the Checkmate mentioned above.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mikep View Post
    The refrigerant we tested using the strips contained between 250-700 ppm acid and the strips never changed color. You can start to smell acid at about 1000ppm. This is why I say you are wasting your money with these testers. BTW 1 ppm is the legal limit according to ARI 700. We reclaim refrigerant about once a month and the only acid and moisture tester we will trust is the Checkmate mentioned above.
    So, you reclaim all of your used refrigerant and sell it back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast