Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Any lady HVAC mechanics out there?

So, are there any lady HVAC mechanics on here?

Just curious! There is one lady who works in service in our shop. I only bring it up because when I post reply comments on here, I use the term "guy's" alot. Such as, "you guy's". So I just wonder if that offends any of the ladies. I will say I havent seen many ladies in this trade.

I'm bored and it's an interesting topic to me....lol

Post Likes
    I know of a few female fitters, tinners, and service techs. I wouldn't say they're ladies by any stretch of the imagination, though.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    I know of a few female fitters, tinners, and service techs. I wouldn't say they're ladies by any stretch of the imagination, though.
    Careful what you say, Rob....
    My wife is my service tech & my daughter is her helper.
    My wife has completed her two years of technical school & has over 5 years experiance as a service tech.
    She is also very good looking & when not working IS &
    LOOKS & ACTS like a LADY in all repects....
    Also, our business has INCREASED because of her...

Richard
    Lets get H.I.G.H. http://www.theletsgethigh.com
    Honesty, Integrity, Gallantry, Honor

Post Likes
    Oh, "you guys" has become so generic anymore, I can't imagine anyone getting too worked up over that terminology. What I'm slowly adjusting to is the term "dude" being used generically!! We have a youngish (mid-twenties) guy working with us who uses "dude" indiscriminately. My contemporaries (50s) are more apt to call me dudette. But a few weeks ago, I heard a couple girls talking to each other and one addressed the other as dude.... so I think this one is slowly working it's way into our lexicon as well.

As long as you keep me on the payroll, I can deal with it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bornriding View Post
    Careful what you say, Rob....
    My wife is my service tech & my daughter is her helper.
    My wife has completed her two years of technical school & has over 5 years experiance as a service tech.
    She is also very good looking & when not working IS &
    LOOKS & ACTS like a LADY in all repects....
    Also, our business has INCREASED because of her...

Richard
    He sure got your panties in a bunch, didn't he!?!

Well, I kind of agree with Rob. There's a girl that works with us that likes 'guy stuff' like beer and football, but isn't butch, she's kinda girly outside of work. But every other woman that I've met in the trade is a rough customer, two of them are welders.

Post Likes
    We have a woman mechanic that just hired on in March. Good mechanic and tougher than most of the guys that work there with thicker skin too. If you're going to say something smart to her you better be ready for something to come back your way.

Post Likes

-

Using 'guys' doesn't bother me. I can't imagine any woman really having an issue with it. Any woman who does is way too thin skinned. I actually see it as me being included with the guys instead of being segregated just because of my gender.

Post Likes
    I work with a few girls and they are guys.

Post Likes
    I've only worked with 2 ladies so far. One was the daughter of the owner of a company I used to work for and she was just there to collect a pay check. The one I work with now is basically a filter changer.

So, I guess my curiousity comes from the fact that I haven't met any that work in service or construction for that matter. I've heard stories from others guys about women they worked with that were very good techs.

Post Likes
    Well, let me clarify what I said. It wasn't meant to paint all female tradespeople with the same brush - all I meant was that the women in the trades that I've met have been really rough around the edges.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Well, let me clarify what I said. It wasn't meant to paint all female tradespeople with the same brush - all I meant was that the women in the trades that I've met have been really rough around the edges.
    LOL Rob! The only reason I'm rough around the edges is 'cause I'm 56!!! I was very smooth in my 20s/30s.

Post Likes
    And there is her ...

There's another one but I can't find Robo's Baltimore picture ...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    I've been in the field, wholesale, sales rep, manufacturer adn in all of those I rarely come across women, especially as techs. They're usually very capable and sharp (they have to be to challenge the stigma) or they're usually there because of who they're related to.

I never think about it, ever. There's other labels I do think of, such as "parts changer", "flake", "joke", ect. One thought that crossed my mind the other day is how many wholesalers are hiring only if people are Spanish speakers also. I don't know if I want to work or do business with a wholesaler that puts such a priority on technicians who aren't able to read technical bulletins, manuals, ect. in the same language that the manufacturers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast