+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intermittent BACNet Comm Failure

Post Likes

Intermittent BACNet Comm Failure

We're new to BACNet and are having a problem with intermittent communication failures. We have 2 BACNet networks on this project. Network 1 has several (20+) ABB drives on it and, after we worked out some bugs, have solid communication. Network 2 has a Honeywell BACNet Spyder and 2 York chillers connected to it and we occasionally lose the whole segment.

Details:
    JACE: WEBS 6 running AX 3.4.51
    Ports: Using an expansion card with 2 485 ports on it
    Network 1: Standard 18/3 plenum/shielded cable (before we knew what wire to use), not terminated (I know), shield is only terminated at the JACE, and I believe that the ABB drives bias the network internally. No communication problems.
    Network 2: 100ohm 22/3 1 twisted pair/1 reference plenum/shielded cable, not terminated (I'll explain later), shield is only terminated at the JACE, and no network bias.
    The JACE is the first device on both networks with a MAC Address of 0.

History:
    A few days after bringing Network 2 online the network went down. All devices were powered but were not communicating over the network and showing "down" in the JACE. Power cycling chiller #2, the last node on the network, brought the network back online. A few days later, it happened again and was resolved the same way, by power cycling chiller #2. Originally this network was wired using the same cable used on Network #1. After the second failure the cable was replaced. I tried terminating the network using 100 ohm resistors matching the characteristic impedance of the cable, this would bring the network down imediately so they were removed. The network was fine for a couple of months but went down again yesterday. I will be on site tomorrow and will attempt to bias the network using a method recommended by Honeywell in their BACNet Spyder literature.

Any other suggestions? Any ideas why the termination resistors brought the network down?

Thanks,

Charles

Post Likes
    i can not help but may ask you a question??
    what is biasing????
    i have heard a lot of guys having this problem and they always say the answer is to add resistors and bias????
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Unlike a LON network where communication is controlled by timing, a BACNet network is controlled by the devices. A device will wait it's turn to transmit over the network. When a device takes over the segment it will "pull up" or "pull down" the network while it has control. When control is released, the network needs to return to a neutral state so the next device knows the network is available. A network that is not biased may remain in this pulled up/down state after control is released halting communication because the controllers think the network is in use and refrain from transmitting.

Some controllers (check with the manufacturer) have built in biasing, others do not. If you have a segment where the controllers do not provide biasing, auxiliary biasing needs to be added. This is usually achieved through a set of resistors.

I've also learned from another board that you cannot terminate a non-biased network. In short, a BACNet network needs to be biased AND terminated.
    Last edited by I-Con Systems; 05-21-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Additional information.

Post Likes
    1. first I would start with address no gap in addressing device. correct 4,5,6,7 not correct 4,8,10,11
    2. how long on com bus may need a repeater.
    3. check all connection. make sure end of line is installed correctly. at both end of com bus.
    this should do it.

Post Likes
    thanks Icon
    that was a great answer and even a hammer and pipewrench guy like me gets it
    frank

Quote Originally Posted by I-Con Systems View Post
    Unlike a LON network where communication is controlled by timing, a BACNet network is controlled by the devices. A device will wait it's turn to transmit over the network. When a device takes over the segment it will "pull up" or "pull down" the network while it has control. When control is released, the network needs to return to a neutral state so the next device knows the network is available. A network that is not biased may remain in this pulled up/down state after control is released halting communication because the controllers think the network is in use and refrain from transmitting.

Some controllers (check with the manufacturer) have built in biasing, others do not. If you have a segment where the controllers do not provide biasing, auxiliary biasing needs to be added. This is usually achieved through a set of resistors.

I've also learned from another board that you cannot terminate a non-biased network. In short, a BACNet network needs to be biased AND terminated.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    http://www.chipkin.com/files/pdf/Bac...echnicians.pdf

Maybe this wil help ya. After reading it i know why some people prefer lon,also look on there website they have some free tools for scanning bacnet networks.There are also more free tools at wireshark.com do a search there on bacnet --cool stuff.

7. Likes square&level liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in