Post Likes

Times Square evacuation

I understand nerves are on edge about the botched terrorist attempt to blow up a vehicle. Is this just being cautious or is this overkill?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/07/...ex.html?hpt=T2

Post Likes
    What was overkill ???

The popo found an suv chock full of explosive and flammable materials and they evacuated part of the area....

Sounds logical to me...
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    What was overkill ???

The popo found an suv chock full of explosive and flammable materials and they evacuated part of the area....

Sounds logical to me...
    Sorry...I was referring to the link I posted about the cooler with bottled water found.

Post Likes
    A few more successful explosions and you may not think so.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    A few more successful explosions and you may not think so.
    So you are saying that a cooler left on a side walk is cause for an evacuation? How about a diaper bag left on the roof a car? A lunchbox left at a bus stop? I don't think that this is the same as a vehicle with smoke coming out of it. I understand that terrorists will continue to try to kill us ,but where do we draw the line on panicking over every little thing? We are giving them what they want. They want us to fear them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    So you are saying that a cooler left on a side walk is cause for an evacuation? How about a diaper bag left on the roof a car? A lunchbox left at a bus stop? I don't think that this is the same as a vehicle with smoke coming out of it. I understand that terrorists will continue to try to kill us ,but where do we draw the line on panicking over every little thing? We are giving them what they want. They want us to fear them.
    So if you were some official there and you decided to ignore something like the cooler and it blew up what would be the ramifications to you and the people that got hurt? Why not say the terrorists have already won as you are already expending a lot of energy trying to stop them.

Might as well just ignore them and really send them a message.

I doubt you have enough people in the US that want to do you harm to alter your ways much but it sure would have sent a statement if the cooler actually did blow up. Now if you were Israel I am sure the cooler would have been cause for concern. As with anything finding a happy balance takes time.

Post Likes
    It is not overkill. It would have been twenty years ago. We have murdering jihadis among us and they would love to blow up a lunch box or brief case to kill some of us. It will happen. Muslims do this stuff. We are going to have to take this sort of thing more serious now.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    It is not overkill. It would have been twenty years ago. We have murdering jihadis among us and they would love to blow up a lunch box or brief case to kill some of us. It will happen. Muslims do this stuff. We are going to have to take this sort of thing more serious now.
    Do you think that the cooler would have been treated the same way BEFORE the attempted propane and gas bomb? Why are we so reactive and not proactive ?

Post Likes
    Do you think that the cooler would have been treated the same way BEFORE the attempted propane and gas bomb? Why are we so reactive and not proactive ?
    Because you quickly forget you are not untouchable and get all up in arms when something does happen.

Post Likes
    To question #1, yes. Not so dramatic perhaps lacking recent events, but the cops in NY are expecting an attack so yes it is a big deal.

To question #2. We cannot be "proactive".

What to do? Expel muslims? Outlaw Islam? It ain't happenin' dude, he11s-bells we elected a President that bows to saudi royalty. This has been going on for more than 20 yers in my memory, we are importing islam, and we have imported their perversions. Get used to it. We now have the same problems we used to read about in newspapers about problems overseas. It is here now and it is not going away.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    They did a good job getting this guy,but their are plenty of cops in that area at all times.The SUV should have been taken out as soon as he stopped,and this comes from a cop.