Post Likes

email from T___tech tools

This was waiting for me in my in box when I got home today. Probably a lot of you guys got the same thing if you have an account with T__Tech Tools.

The part that woofs me off is that they did not say who this was.
    This is almost a smear campaign, throw something out and let people imagine the worst. Then say that was not your intent.
    A little research reveals it was a company based in the western US that was redirecting a misspell. They have killed the redirect by contacting the internet service provider. I am not going to give the low lifes any advertising.
    But I will say IT WAS NOT inst___rix.com or in any way associated with that owner and his web sites.

Bill, you guys can beat this.

Here is the email.

It has come to our attention that a competitor's website has been diverting traffic from T___TechTools.com by using minor misspellings (typosquatting) of our Trademarked website name.

We have contacted them and asked them to stop this illegal practice.

Please contact me directly at Bill at xxxxxx.com or 555-555-5555 with any questions or concerns.

We apologize for any confusion this has caused.

We hope to have this issue resolved shortly.

Sincerely,

Post Likes
    Got the same email today

Post Likes

Cool

got it to.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    I also got the same email.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Wolfdog,
    I must be really dumb because I've read your post five times and I still don't understand how so-called "T____Techtools" is smearing anybody if they don't even mention any names. Aren't they basically saying to their customers "be careful when typing in our URL because misspellings are being re-directed to a competitor?

Post Likes
    It would appear that you are not familiar with either website.
    Many people here can fill in the blanks. I did not use the full names because I don't want to chance crossing the moderators and perhaps be "infracted". (That almost happened in another thread, and one of the moderators showed mercy on me.)

Perhaps I am just being cynical about the email.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
    It would appear that you are not familiar with either website.
    Many people here can fill in the blanks. I did not use the full names because I don't want to chance crossing the moderators and perhaps be "infracted". (That almost happened in another thread, and one of the moderators showed mercy on me.)

Perhaps I am just being cynical about the email.
    I think you ARE being cynical if you gave us a true rendition of their email to their customers. I saw nothing sinister about it whatsoever. Also, I see nothing wrong with mentioning Trutech since they are not a competitor of this site, or even of Contracting Business Magazine. In fact they are mentioned frequently as are a number of HVAC supply companies (haven't they even advertised on this board?). Even "the News" is mentioned frequently here, and they ARE a direct competitor of Contracting Business. The rule is very nebulous but I think the idea is that direct links to HVAC forums are not allowed. At least that's what I was told a few years back (I think by "Editor"),when I got yelled at when I posted a link they didn't like.

Post Likes

My side of the story

I wrote the email quoted below as a private communication to my customers to let them know of a factual situation.

I was advised by my attorney that I could mention the name of the offending party, but I chose not to, as it is not my intent to harm them in any way.

What happened is against trademark law.
    (My original email included hyper links to a website that explains the legal details of such a situation.)

If a business does not vigorously defend it's trademark it can be forfeited to the public domain. So I had to do something.

I think the offending party made a mistake, and like good netizens, they took care of the matter very promptly (today) once notified.

I could not be sure, at the time I wrote the email, that my customers had been misdirected. So I felt an obligation to notify my customers promptly.

I included my email address and personal cell phone in case anyone had any questions or concerns.

Some of you may know me personally, many of you do not.
    I encourage you to get to know me before passing judgment on me.

So I could have pointed a finger, but I chose not to and in the process (apparently) offended some people. My apologies to those I have offended.

That was not my intent, and I truly mean it.

Have a good night.

bill

Post Likes

Cool

You have given me great customer service and great pricing Bill. That in itself speaks volumes as to the type of person you are, Honest and dependable. Keep it up.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    I have purchased from these folks several times and been extremely satisfied with the service.

I can respect a man\company barking over his own bone. No problem there.
    From my vantage point I thought the email was a bit of a wild swing. My opinion.
    I will take Cousin Bill at his word.

Case closed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TruTech-Bill View Post
    I wrote the email quoted below as a private communication to my customers to let them know of a factual situation.

I was advised by my attorney that I could mention the name of the offending party, but I chose not to, as it is not my intent to harm them in any way.

What happened is against trademark law.
    (My original email included hyper links to a website that explains the legal details of such a situation.)

If a business does not vigorously defend it's trademark it can be forfeited to the public domain. So I had to do something.

I think the offending party made a mistake, and like good netizens, they took care of the matter very promptly (today) once notified.

I could not be sure, at the time I wrote the email, that my customers had been misdirected. So I felt an obligation to notify my customers promptly.

I included my email address and personal cell phone in case anyone had any questions or concerns.

Some of you may know me personally, many of you do not.
    I encourage you to get to know me before passing judgment on me.

So I could have pointed a finger, but I chose not to and in the process (apparently) offended some people. My apologies to those I have offended.

That was not my intent, and I truly mean it.

Have a good night.

bill
    Bill, you need not offer any apologies. Your are completely right and correct in your action and took a position of "responsibility." It should be commended not condemned.

Truth be told, you gave us all a lesson in Trademarking even if others have not had to deal with the issue. I actually am, as a small contracting firm, having to deal with and fight another over not only my name, but logo and website content. International Trademark Attorneys (of which you do need for this--even the cease and desist letter) is extremely expensive and perhaps beyond the realm of what others here may have no clue about.

I do not wish this upon anyone, and I had some protections is place including TM apps. It is a positive lesson for all.

Post Likes

thanks!

Thanks for the support and feedback.
    I learn something(s) new every day, and just wanted to share.