Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    Just send me a postage paid box big enough for an SC76 and I will let the meter do the talking. PM me if you are serious about wanting to get to the bottom of what is wrong with this unit. I will trade it out for another SC66. I'll even throw in the micron gauge that I just replaced with a yellow jacket thermistor style. The t fitting on the fieldpiece must not seal good. Doesn't hold a vacuum well enough to, well, please me.

Guess I am a little hard to please about what the equipment manu's specify. If only they were as leinent as some other companies.
    We have a UPS account you can ship it with. Call me or email me and I'll you a number you can ship it under.

Post Likes
    Do you also want the SC66 that stoped reading ohms and mfd, but doesn't have a blown fuse? It is something like serial #0000000098.
    I'll have to see what I can do about an amp clamp in the mean time (the stupid fluke meter doesn't have one), but will gladly send them in when I do.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

Health = Wealth! To wager otherwise is a Fools Bargain

Post Likes
    Do you also want the SC66 that stoped reading ohms and mfd, but doesn't have a blown fuse? It is something like serial #0000000098.
    I'll have to see what I can do about an amp clamp in the mean time (the stupid fluke meter doesn't have one), but will gladly send them in when I do.
    Yeah we'll look at all of them. my email is fppm2@fieldpiece.com.

Post Likes
    Wow, this thread really took off recently, lol. Since I made the thread and haven't posted anything back since, here are my thoughts on the ZX...

I like this detector and got a pretty good price on it. I don't really have much to compare to other than a Dtek that one of my coworkers let me use. I cannot complain about the ZX. Like someone in the thread said, it is most likely the same as the ZX1, but with a crappy warranty. So as far as that goes, yeah I feel that I got hosed. I would have rather had the older version with the 25 year warranty. All in all though, even though I like the ZX, I still bring the bubbles with me on every roof.

Post Likes
    Has anyone found a copy of the warranty to tell us what it covers? I hear the sensor and battery aren't covered. I ordered the ZX, because the lady at TIF told me that they had improved it and went to a better pump. I'm not big on warranties anyway, but I did hear a lot of complaints about the pumps not working. A week or two off the truck at the time we need it is not good in our business.

Post Likes
    Who wrote that article? Are you using it for marketing? If so, please take a marketing class. You are not going to hold the attention of too many people with a book like that.

If you are so high up at Fieldpiece, why don't you go ahead and send your dear friends here at HVAC talk some of these leak detectors for us to try ourselves? The fact is that you can test 2 of your meters against each other and probably get a different result.

By the way, I love the SC66 meter, in fact i have serial # 99, which finally craped out on me this past spring. Simple and all the meter we need in this field. Then you have to go and screw that up with the SC76. Anyway, back to the 66. It costed me two customers before i realized it wasn't reading ohms anymore. i misdiagnosed 2 compressors, thinking the windings were open because I wasn't reading ohms because it craped out. I wish it would have just died. And no, it isn't the fuse.
    Anyway, I have an SC76, and I can't stand it. The lighted background is useless because I can't read the numbers with the background you have. And the auto ranging goes bonkers, plus it has a heck of a timedelay when reading capacitors. sometimes it takes about 10 seconds for a reading to show up. What a piece of crap. The meter sticks are crap too. I had one of your sells reps tell me to my face that the changable heads are not as accurate as the meters they are made to subsititute. If you know it is crap, why sell it? And the stick style micron gauge's t conector isn't gasketed very well, or something like that because it won't hold a vaccuum even when it is all that is on a new hose.
    Stick with the SC66.
    And we should trust the leak detector why? Send us each one and we will draw our own conclusion. Why not? It is going to cost your company a lot of money to win favor in the leak detector market. Maybe we can get the word out. Otherwise, i am going with the Tif ZX. They tell me they are using a better pump, and I have only gotten one bad review on them. I will try the Fieldpiece, but i won't pay for till your company spends a lot of money to convence the industry that it is of value. Honestly, we are tired of sucky leak detectors. Pretty bad when dish soap is a better detector than a $300 meter.
    Funny I got a 66, I have had it for about 4 yrs and the ohm's stopped reading recently. I also have the standalone manometer and coworkers with the 76 and manometer attachment said that mine was better constructed and seemed more accurate (now wish I had gone with the 510, oh well). I am gonna need a new meter and was going to pick up a non auto ranging but now iam wondering if I should pick up somethin else any suggestions?? Don't wanna get the 76 and wish I had sprung a bit extra for a different brand/model.

Post Likes
    You can still buy the SC66 I think. I have nothing against the 66 other than the way mine failed on the ohms and mfd readings. Better check the MFD reading if you lost the ohms. I had no idea my reading was no good. But the other 8 years I used the meter, it worked good for me.
    You no doubt confirm my conclusions on the stick attachments. They may be ok for some, but when I set a gas valve, I want it dead on. I get enough fluctuation from the gas meter, I don't need a crappy setting from my manometer. With that being said, I do like the attachment kit that fieldpiece includes with their manometer. I wish the Testo 510 came with that, but it came with a cover and a case. The only case I got with the fieldpiece was the package it came in, which is durable, but it is still just a package, and I have a heck of a time getting the fieldpiece to zero, and when I set a gas valve and turn the valve off, a lot of times I get a reading of something like .22 or .33 on the readout, even with the hose unplugged, so there I have to reset the valve again and hope that what I am reading is correct this time. And yes, when i rezero, I find the valve to be reading .22 or .33 above what my target setpoint was. Now that is crap.

But anyway, get another SC66. It is best all around meter for what we do, and it doesn't have the auto ranging nor the time delay on the readings. In the mean time, beware of your MFD reading on the meter you have.

Post Likes
    Who won the essay?

Post Likes
    I am going to be doing a field comparison between the Tif ZX, a Fieldpiece SRL2K7, and possibly an Inficon D-tek Select. I'm a tech just like everyone in here and not affiliated with any vendors or anything. Granted, the ZX isn't an ifra-red detector and is used differently; I'm just going to compare the ability of each and how I think each piece stacks up. I'll post a link once I get everything going.

Post Likes
    Do you have an ultrasonic you can throw in the test? I have long wondered how they stack up to these other testers.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    This is from Superior Signals Site on sensitivity of Ultrasonics

"When comparing to gas specific detectors which are extremely sensitive, remember, the instrument was tested under controlled laboratory conditions, and the ability to actually locate small trace gases, especially in a windy outdoor environment is extremely limited. It is physically impossible for an ultrasonic detector to locate a leak such as .5oz per year because there is no turbulent gas flow involved. A leak of .5 oz. per year is equivalent to a loss of 1 pound in 32 years!"

http://www.superiorsignal.com/superior007.htm

I don't doubt a good ultrasonic detector can perform better than a sniffer in some cases.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Good Article. I assume they are mostly checking the evap coil for leaks when checking for leaks with ultrasonics, and hopefully the greater pressure will cause the leak to make whatever decible noise they are looking for. Sounds like it would be useful on gas systems too to confirm tight fittings.
    I used my tif on an evap coil the other day, where I had changed a compressor out on the system. I put in 10# psi of 22, and went up to 350# with nitrogen. I consistently picked up on something at one point on the U bends, but could find absolutely nothing with bubbles. I was thinking that perhaps if I had an ultrasonic I could have at least confirmed with the noise that I wasn't wasting my time looking further for this leak. I did like the zero out sensitivity feature on the unit.
    I really wish I could have pin pointed what i was picking up on. Whatever it was it was specific to this area of the coil, as the tif never alarmed anywhere else, which I really liked. The bubbles just never formed anywhere. I wonder if it was leaking in the metal plate area of coil at the u bends and just wasn't bubbling. I hate meters that false alarm and alarm on moisture. My intent is to have only the best leak detection tools in my arsenal, which I have so far determined to be Big Blu and Gas Leak Bubbles, and this tif unit. I am still in the deciding mode on the ultrasonic. Some guys on here swear by them. Only one post that I have read has put down the Tif ZX or ZX-1. That isn't bad for this bunch.

Post Likes

Sweep Method for InfraRed...

Quote Originally Posted by RussellHarju View Post
    Essay contest. I'll give an SRL2 to the person who is will to do a fair comparison to their non-Fieldpiece Leak detector. Post a short essay of how you are going to test, what refrigerants you'll be testing, what type of systems you are testing on, and that you know to use the sweeping method when using an infrared (if you don't know what this is, call me and i'll explain 714 634 1844). I'll tell everyone who won so you guys can all see the results.
    I suspect that the reason the guys like the ZX-1 is unfamiliarity with the techniques. I have the ZX-1, Srl8, HG-10, and the D-Tek Select. Im also have an AccuTrack Ultra-sonic. Love 'em all for different reasons.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast