Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes
    What good are features and usability if the product is inferior? It's just air conditioning man, no rockets involved. I want the best sniffer, I don't care if I have to type in a combination, spin a key and crank a handle to make it work.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

Health = Wealth! To wager otherwise is a Fools Bargain

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    I haven't used a H-10 but the ZX-1 is the best I've used at finding leaks.
    If it broke every year I would get a new one but it hasn't for me. The H-10 sounds like a great durable detector but I do not care for spinning cranks or handling keys.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    BURN!
    It really depends on what refrigerants you are measuring. The Heated diodes may be more sensitive (and only slightly more sensitive) than infrared for r-22. Refrigerants like r-410 and r-404 the infrared will win. And when i say more sensitive, i've witnessed both heated and infrareds go off the moment you get 20 ft from the control room of a supermarket's control room. Being 20ft away really doesn't help find the leak. So you would need better stability and auto calibration to help you find the leak, infrareds do that a lot better than heated diodes. And also aren't continuously burning through the sensor while doing so.

Post Likes
    Who wrote that article? Are you using it for marketing? If so, please take a marketing class. You are not going to hold the attention of too many people with a book like that.

If you are so high up at Fieldpiece, why don't you go ahead and send your dear friends here at HVAC talk some of these leak detectors for us to try ourselves? The fact is that you can test 2 of your meters against each other and probably get a different result.

By the way, I love the SC66 meter, in fact i have serial # 99, which finally craped out on me this past spring. Simple and all the meter we need in this field. Then you have to go and screw that up with the SC76. Anyway, back to the 66. It costed me two customers before i realized it wasn't reading ohms anymore. i misdiagnosed 2 compressors, thinking the windings were open because I wasn't reading ohms because it craped out. I wish it would have just died. And no, it isn't the fuse.
    Anyway, I have an SC76, and I can't stand it. The lighted background is useless because I can't read the numbers with the background you have. And the auto ranging goes bonkers, plus it has a heck of a timedelay when reading capacitors. sometimes it takes about 10 seconds for a reading to show up. What a piece of crap. The meter sticks are crap too. I had one of your sells reps tell me to my face that the changable heads are not as accurate as the meters they are made to subsititute. If you know it is crap, why sell it? And the stick style micron gauge's t conector isn't gasketed very well, or something like that because it won't hold a vaccuum even when it is all that is on a new hose.
    Stick with the SC66.
    And we should trust the leak detector why? Send us each one and we will draw our own conclusion. Why not? It is going to cost your company a lot of money to win favor in the leak detector market. Maybe we can get the word out. Otherwise, i am going with the Tif ZX. They tell me they are using a better pump, and I have only gotten one bad review on them. I will try the Fieldpiece, but i won't pay for till your company spends a lot of money to convence the industry that it is of value. Honestly, we are tired of sucky leak detectors. Pretty bad when dish soap is a better detector than a $300 meter.
    Sorry. We can't please everyone.

Post Likes
    Essay contest. I'll give an SRL2 to the person who is will to do a fair comparison to their non-Fieldpiece Leak detector. Post a short essay of how you are going to test, what refrigerants you'll be testing, what type of systems you are testing on, and that you know to use the sweeping method when using an infrared (if you don't know what this is, call me and i'll explain 714 634 1844). I'll tell everyone who won so you guys can all see the results.

Post Likes
    Send the SRL2 over and I'll test it. If it is better than the new ZX I have coming, I'll buy it. If not, I'll send it and all of the other Fieldpiece equipment that I have except my SC66 and you give me my money back. Sounds fair to me. I mean I do need a new meter to compare my new meter against don't I. You wouldn't want a new SRL2 to be compared to an old meter would you?
    P.S., I have a better way to mount the thermocouple on the SOx2 analyzer. My way doesn't tear it up as bad. The clips you send with them, well, really, who's idea was that? Grandma uses something similar to those to hang her clothes out. Who ever designed them should try using them. Do you all have a program to purchase designs?

As far as satisfying every body, I look for tools that work. The stick meters aren't accurate per your sales rep. All in ones usually don't pan out anyway.

Not being critical, just honest. Like i say, I like the SC66 and the SOx2 is good with my modification. Would be better with an automatic pump though, and the check ball in the tube gets stuck in place from time to time. Dang, there I go again.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

Health = Wealth! To wager otherwise is a Fools Bargain

Post Likes
    Send the SRL2 over and I'll test it. If it is better than the ZX, I'll buy it. If not, I'll send it and all of the other Fieldpiece equipment that I have except my SC66 and you give me my money back. Sounds fair to me.
    P.S., I have a better way to mount the thermocouple on the SOx2 analyzer. My way doesn't tear it up as bad. The clips you send with them, well, really, who's idea was that? they should try using them. Do you all have a program to purchase designs?
    What types of systems will you be testing, what types of refrigerants will you be testing, and do you know what the sweep method is? The best response will get the win. I'll give everyone a few days and decide who the winner is then.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellHarju View Post
    It really depends on what refrigerants you are measuring. The Heated diodes may be more sensitive (and only slightly more sensitive) than infrared for r-22. Refrigerants like r-410 and r-404 the infrared will win.
    I have found R-410 leaks with both but not enough to tell you your wrong with R-410 but I do not believe the SRL2 or SRL8 are as sensitive as the ZX-1 on R-404A. This is field not lab testing so not sure on all the variables but IMO I would cross R-404A off that list.

Post Likes
    Forgot, Yes I know about the sweep method and Yes I know about the "Turbo Mode".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I have found R-410 leaks with both but not enough to tell you your wrong with R-410 but I do not believe the SRL2 or SRL8 are as sensitive as the ZX-1 on R-404A. This is field not lab testing so not sure on all the variables but IMO I would cross R-404A off that list.
    I'll take the pepsi challenge with the SRL2K7 on 404. The SRL8 will be similar to the the tif.

Post Likes
    I'll take the pepsi challenge with the SRL2K7 on 404. The SRL8 will be similar to the the tif.
    Actually i take it back. The SRL8 and tif performed exactly the same on 404. And the SRL8 was very slightly less sensitive. It's still less the a fraction of oz a per year leak rate though.

Post Likes

Hmm Huh?

Post Likes
    Actually i take it back. The SRL8 and tif performed exactly the same on 404. And the SRL8 was very slightly less sensitive. It's still less the a fraction of oz a per year leak rate though.
    Was this a type-o?
    Did you mean type the SRL2 and the Tif ZX-1 with Heated Pentode performed exactly the same on 404 and your SRL8 with Heated Diode was less sensitive to 404 than the SRL2 and ZX-1?
    I wouldn't give ya S but ya butted in on a Tif vs Tif thread
    I had found a 404 leak last week with the ZX-1 that neither the SRL2 or SRL8 would detect.
    I'll look through my scrap and see if I can find it.
    One thing you might want to look into over at FP is the High Sensitivity the ZX-1 has for R-134A I have no love for most anything Tif but they got a winner with this ZX-1 Could be a fluke that they probally designed it for automotive (R-134A) and it actualy works great on the R-400's Heck some blends have 134 in them so............

Any lab tests with the new UEi RLD15 Russell?
    They claim better sensitivity than all of them in their spec.

"HFC: R-134a, R-410A, R-404A, R-407C & R-507
    (R-134a, R410A sensitivity ≥ 0.05 oz/yr)
    HCFC: R-22 (R-22 sensitivity ≥ 0.025 oz/yr)"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast