Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes

Tif ZX-1 vs Tif ZX

Hey guys

I just purchased a Tif ZX-1 leak detector from my supply house because it was on special. They got one in for me and I took it home only to realize that it's the Tif ZX model. I looked on the Tif website and found that the ZX is basically a brand new product with similar features. In my supply houses flier, they listed it as a ZX-1 with a certain part # and it's the same as the sticker on my ZX. The only bad thing is the warranty seems to be only three years on the ZX. Does anyone have any experience with the ZX? Can someone shed some light on the differences? I can't seem to find very many other than minor appearance tweaks. I tried to call Tif customer service, but that was a joke. The one guy didn't even know what a Tif ZX-1 was.

http://www.tif.com/products/detail.php?id=8667

http://www.tif.com/products/detail.php?id=9305

Thanks for any help.

Post Likes
    it just looks like a new design as far as the housing is concerned. They probably got to many complaints about the zx-1 looking like a "adult" toy, if you know what i mean.....
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Post Likes
    I noticed that they have a 25 yr warranty on the ZX-1. I've had 3 of them fail that were less then 2 yrs old that they told me would cost nearly $300.00 to repair, so I don't know what their warranty covers. It's not their battery or sensor.
    I haven't found a more sensitive detector than the ZX-1, but their durability could be better. Maybe that's what they changed?
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do.".... Jerry Garcia
    "You just have to decide if you're a Tigger or an Eeyore,..I think you know where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate." Prof. Randy Pausch

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by n-e-w Jerz! View Post
    it just looks like a new design as far as the housing is concerned. They probably got to many complaints about the zx-1 looking like a "adult" toy, if you know what i mean.....
    Its still messed up IMO
    If its the same detector inside it'll be damn good at finding leaks.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    This post has a little age on it. Has anyone found out the difference in the ZX and the ZX-1, or used the ZX model to see if there are any differences?
    This is what they say about it:
    TIF is proud to announce a new, heated-pentode leak detector the TIFZX. The new TIFZX uses proven heated-pentode technology with an improved grip and easy-to-read display. The design of the TIFZX eliminates false alarms from moisture, solvents and cleaners. An improved, true mechanical pump allows for instant response and clearing. • Heated Pentode® sensor technology • Tri-color visual leak size indicator • Detects all CFC, HFC, HCFC's including R-12, R-22, R-123, R-134a, R-404a, R-407a, R-408a, and R-410a. • Tactile keypad controls with one-touch reset and adjustable sensitivity • True mechanical pump provides instant response and clearing • Battery test function • Sensor failure indication • Rechargeable batteries • Revolutionary design
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

Health = Wealth! To wager otherwise is a Fools Bargain

Post Likes
    i don't no....... I have had mind now for over 7 years and have had no problems--- work it till it's gone and by a new one

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    This post has a little age on it. Has anyone found out the difference in the ZX and the ZX-1, or used the ZX model to see if there are any differences?
    This is what they say about it:
    TIF is proud to announce a new, heated-pentode leak detector the TIFZX. The new TIFZX uses proven heated-pentode technology with an improved grip and easy-to-read display. The design of the TIFZX eliminates false alarms from moisture, solvents and cleaners. An improved, true mechanical pump allows for instant response and clearing. • Heated Pentode® sensor technology • Tri-color visual leak size indicator • Detects all CFC, HFC, HCFC's including R-12, R-22, R-123, R-134a, R-404a, R-407a, R-408a, and R-410a. • Tactile keypad controls with one-touch reset and adjustable sensitivity • True mechanical pump provides instant response and clearing • Battery test function • Sensor failure indication • Rechargeable batteries • Revolutionary design
    I've used both of them, they both alarmed at the same time when I compared them against each other. The main difference is the warranty period. The company bought the zx and I bought the zx-1 and its case. Nice to have back ups. when leak checking. If the supply house gave you a zx when they were advertising the zx-1 I'd be *****'in about that.
    So you didn't ask, what you though was a stupid question. Now how, are you going to tell the boss about your stupid screw up?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lbf View Post
    I noticed that they have a 25 yr warranty on the ZX-1. I've had 3 of them fail that were less then 2 yrs old that they told me would cost nearly $300.00 to repair, so I don't know what their warranty covers. It's not their battery or sensor.
    I haven't found a more sensitive detector than the ZX-1, but their durability could be better. Maybe that's what they changed?
    this is very interesting, and even more so that the warranty info isn't easily available online. Does anyone know what the warranty info reads?

Post Likes
    this is very interesting, and even more so that the warranty info isn't easily available online. Does anyone know what the warranty info reads?
    You can make your assumptions of who we were comparing ourselves to.

http://www.fieldpiece.com/tech-artic...he-supermarket

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellHarju View Post

I'm gonna assume it was the dtek select when they were having problems like a lot of us had with them. Sounds like they have corrected some issues though.

That was the exact article I read which led me to purchase a SRL2.

Its a nice package IMO but wish it was more sensitive like the ZX-1.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellHarju View Post

Who wrote that article? Are you using it for marketing? If so, please take a marketing class. You are not going to hold the attention of too many people with a book like that.

If you are so high up at Fieldpiece, why don't you go ahead and send your dear friends here at HVAC talk some of these leak detectors for us to try ourselves? The fact is that you can test 2 of your meters against each other and probably get a different result.

By the way, I love the SC66 meter, in fact i have serial # 99, which finally craped out on me this past spring. Simple and all the meter we need in this field. Then you have to go and screw that up with the SC76. Anyway, back to the 66. It costed me two customers before i realized it wasn't reading ohms anymore. i misdiagnosed 2 compressors, thinking the windings were open because I wasn't reading ohms because it craped out. I wish it would have just died. And no, it isn't the fuse.
    Anyway, I have an SC76, and I can't stand it. The lighted background is useless because I can't read the numbers with the background you have. And the auto ranging goes bonkers, plus it has a heck of a timedelay when reading capacitors. sometimes it takes about 10 seconds for a reading to show up. What a piece of crap. The meter sticks are crap too. I had one of your sells reps tell me to my face that the changable heads are not as accurate as the meters they are made to subsititute. If you know it is crap, why sell it? And the stick style micron gauge's t conector isn't gasketed very well, or something like that because it won't hold a vaccuum even when it is all that is on a new hose.
    Stick with the SC66.
    And we should trust the leak detector why? Send us each one and we will draw our own conclusion. Why not? It is going to cost your company a lot of money to win favor in the leak detector market. Maybe we can get the word out. Otherwise, i am going with the Tif ZX. They tell me they are using a better pump, and I have only gotten one bad review on them. I will try the Fieldpiece, but i won't pay for till your company spends a lot of money to convence the industry that it is of value. Honestly, we are tired of sucky leak detectors. Pretty bad when dish soap is a better detector than a $300 meter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I'm gonna assume it was the dtek select when they were having problems like a lot of us had with them. Sounds like they have corrected some issues though.

That was the exact article I read which led me to purchase a SRL2.

Its a nice package IMO but wish it was more sensitive like the ZX-1.
    BURN!

Post Likes
    BURN!
    Not really. In the article they tell you that the SRL2 is not as sensitive on common refrigerants.

To be clear if the SRL2 or SRL8 were as sensitive as the ZX-1 they would be undisputed champs IMO.

They kill the Tif on features and usability.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast