Post Likes

Would like some grill help...

Every year I get the grill ready. I never bought a 4-500 dollar grill and I'm not going to this year either. So I got to thinking, this year perhaps I can make my grill a bit better. Utilize what I have, just modify it a bit...a high performance kinda deal.

My grill is a two burner manufactured by Char-Broil. I always had my doubts when I bought it because it uses no briquettes. It has a burner with an angled metal cover over it, thats it. I was wondering if I could dump a bag of briquettes over top of the metal plate? I want to get the heat source closer to the grill. I think it would cook in a more controllable fashion. Anyone do anything similar or have a better idea?
    Always here

Post Likes
    best thing i have ever done is by a new webber genesis, last week to be exact. I have had 3 cheep $160 grills in the past 5 yrs, i tried the grill rocks and it did not help..the problem is in what the cooking crate is made out of. The body of the grill is also important....stamped steel in both makes piss poor grilling. Cast Steel/Iron is best, If you are going to modify get some cast iron grates.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Every year I get the grill ready. I never bought a 4-500 dollar grill and I'm not going to this year either. So I got to thinking, this year perhaps I can make my grill a bit better. Utilize what I have, just modify it a bit...a high performance kinda deal.

My grill is a two burner manufactured by Char-Broil. I always had my doubts when I bought it because it uses no briquettes. It has a burner with an angled metal cover over it, thats it. I was wondering if I could dump a bag of briquettes over top of the metal plate? I want to get the heat source closer to the grill. I think it would cook in a more controllable fashion. Anyone do anything similar or have a better idea?
    How much bulk meat at a time do you grill?

Post Likes
    Enough for two most of the time. We really don't have large cookouts. Maybe one or two a year. I like tuna steak, 1 to 1.5" thick. I like to use the grill 3 or 4 times a week when its warm out. We just cook for the two of us most of the time.
    Always here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Enough for two most of the time. We really don't have large cookouts. Maybe one or two a year. I like tuna steak, 1 to 1.5" thick. I like to use the grill 3 or 4 times a week when its warm out. We just cook for the two of us most of the time.
    I recommend an old fashioned, well-built hibachi. Not one of the cheapies. It only requires like 5 briquettes on each side. Easy clean up. Looks cool too. A double hibachi is what I'm remembering. I'll try to find a pic.

Post Likes
    Going to pick up a new grill. Just seems any money I spend on this would be better served towards the purchase of a new one.

Going for something real nice........
    Always here