Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: smokers???????

Post Likes

smokers???????

never smoked any fish meat etc could you guys recommend the best unit for buck my bday is around the corner thought Id head south and purchase one for all the fish etc I catch ( my wife is laughing in her sleep)would like something that will be durable for a long term purchase thanks
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take...

Post Likes
    I bought an electric powered smoker from pro bass shops that has an automatic wood chip feeder and must say its the best one Ive ever owned

Post Likes
    big green egg

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    I bought an electric powered smoker from pro bass shops that has an automatic wood chip feeder and must say its the best one Ive ever owned
    What brand is it? I enjoy using my Brinkman electric smoker and it does a fantastic job. it's just a pain in the A$$ to have to keep going out and putting the chips in it. Especially when i put a turkey on at 10 PM for Thanksgiving the next day.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thethomas4 View Post
    big green egg
    Ive seen that does it cost big green bucks and does it smoke or grill food I thought it was more of a bbq
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take...

Post Likes
    I've been getting the itch to get into smoking also.

I looked at the ones that Cabrella has and they are pricey. The electric model said that if you are going to use the smoker in temps below 32F then you have to warm the sensor up with a hair drier. What's up with that? I live in VT so I don't think that an electric one would be for me.

How about Propane?? I bought a cheapo Brinkman once that was charcoal fired. Didn't like it because it kept going out. It needed constant attention and you couldn't regulate the heat.

What kind is that auto wood chip feeder. Also what about the wood pellet smokers. Anyone have one of those.

Post Likes
    Hi bencool... I like smoking at this time of year. I have owned a charcoal and electric unit both by Brinkman. I currently own an electric unit that does satisfy my needs. I live in Louisiana, so I can not advise you on how good that smoker will work in the cold air of Vermont, sorry. If you plan ahead and take the time it takes to smoke your product correctly, the Brinkman will do the job (low and slow). I am sure you can spend more money on a smoker, but I am not sure you could tell the difference in the finished product.

Enjoy your smoking...have a great day!

Post Likes
    Go online and check out the line of "Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain smokers."

I own the propane model. These are great smokers for the price.

I paid about a hundred bones for mine. Worth every dime.

Post Likes
    Do NOT buy masterbuilt electric smokers, they are POS, I own one and after 4 uses the digital controller died and the manufacturer wont cover it under warranty, they are shady I wont buy anything made by masterbuilt. do some brand research, they are notorious for selling defective junk and screwing the customers.
    Last edited by hvacpope; 03-21-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
    Go online and check out the line of "Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain smokers."

I own the propane model. These are great smokers for the price.

I paid about a hundred bones for mine. Worth every dime.
    Is this the one that you have? http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...4-000423bb4e95

This really doesn't give too much info in the ad. Plus it is $169 bucks so it may be larger than the one you have????
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can't seem to find a diffinate website for "Smokey Mountain Smokers." Bass Pro has this one with the drawers so you don't have to open the cooking chamber to add wood and water. Then they have one for 128 dollars that is 21" and another that is 25" for 148. The last two models seem like you would have to open the door to add smoking chips.

But at least I know not to look at the "masterbuilt" brand.
    Last edited by Green Mountain; 03-22-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Post Likes
    CFM corp., which made the Smokey Mountain series of smokers filed for bankruptcy in April 2008. I have one and it's a great unit.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by baub View Post
    CFM corp., which made the Smokey Mountain series of smokers filed for bankruptcy in April 2008. I have one and it's a great unit.
    Which one? Apparently they have different models and styles.

Post Likes
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Outd...44440220558064

I went online and I see that Wal-Mart actually sells the model I have.
    I bought mine at Joes (Formally GI Joes)

I actually have the 21" which after I got it seen that they had a larger one.
    After using mine for the past couple years I haven't ever needed bigger than the 21.
    You do have to open the door to access the chip box and water tray, but that's not really an issue. The meat takes on its smoky flavor early in the cooking process and the liquid takes quite a while to evaporate.
    During the 6 to 12 hour smoking process I only open the door once or twice to rotate the meat.
    I recommend buying a wireless remote thermometer; these are well worth the investment and minimize the need to get into the smoker for the purpose checking the meat.
    It definitely takes a few attempts with the smoking process to determine the right type of wood to use which liquids and what rubs you like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast