+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pressure / Temperature Guage for p/t ports

Post Likes

Pressure / Temperature Guage for p/t ports

All:

I would like to monitor EWT and LWT on my Waterfurnace unit. I have read that some people just stick a meat thermometer in the p/t port but those seem like they are too big.

Ideally, I would like to purchase a real gauge set designed for this purpose but have had no luck finding what I need.

Have any of you accessed your p/t ports on your systems? If so, what did you use?

Thanks.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Like many of my searches have found, I see those gauges have a large probe. Maybe I am just unfamiliar with the trade and their tools. Are gauges like this meant to be used for many purposes... and you screw on the probe that goes in the p/t port? If so, where are the p/t port probes for those gauges?

Also, are the p/t ports a standard size... or do they vary as well. Mine look like they accept a probe less than 1/8" in size.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    You get yourself a Tee and go from there.

Post Likes
    A Tee? I think we are thinking of different solutions. I need a gauge with a thin p/t probe on the end so I can stick it in the p/t port for temp checks. The gauge is not installed all of the time... just inserted into the p/t port when I want to do a check.

Post Likes

Smile

Cooper, Model DPP400W

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info, but those seem to have a larger diameter probe.

I guess I need to get with my GEO installer and ask what size p/t ports I have. I am reluctant to pushing on the probe too hard, as I don't want to damage the port. I may just be a little too cautious and need to be more aggressive with it... but I don't want to screw up anything.

Post Likes

Smile

It works with my P/T ports!

Post Likes

Temp probe

May I suggest you get an electronic with 2 wired probes and strap them to the water lines inside the unit cabinet under the insulation. That way you can leave them there without disturbing the P/T ports.

Post Likes
    Harbor Freight $20 multimeters come with a type K thermocouple, but read only in degrees Centigrade.

If deg C vs F does not bother you, the type K thermocouple is just 2 24 AWG wires!

You spend more $$ for other type thermocouple meters, the HF one is about the cheapest I know of.

You could also try an infrared detector - point and read the temp.

Post Likes

Cooper Atkins DFP450W

I just ordered one off EBay. I saw it yesterday at the Cooper booth at ACCA in Tampa. The tip necks down much narrower than typical digital thermometers

Post Likes

gages and valves

I am in process of installing 6 ton unit in my house and would like to install some gages for monitoring temperatures and water pressure. I would also like to install shot off valves on the header pipes prior to the circulating pumps. Installer would not install any of these .He is telling me that I don't need any valves nor do I need any gages. Can any body tell me where these gages should be physically installed on the pipes? Pipes from the circulating pumps to the unit are just rubber hose and I don't see how you can mount gages there unless you put some fittings on the rubber hoses.
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bunaca View Post
    I am in process of installing 6 ton unit in my house and would like to install some gages for monitoring temperatures and water pressure. I would also like to install shot off valves on the header pipes prior to the circulating pumps. Installer would not install any of these .He is telling me that I don't need any valves nor do I need any gages. Can any body tell me where these gages should be physically installed on the pipes? Pipes from the circulating pumps to the unit are just rubber hose and I don't see how you can mount gages there unless you put some fittings on the rubber hoses.
    Thanks
    I use hobo U12 loggers with pipe probes. They are very accurate and you can keep data forever. They are also inexpensive and with a 4-probe unit I measure the EWT, LWT and the outside air temp. I also record the kWH used by the geothermal HP and with these three measurements I can come up with heating degree days, cost and overall health of the system.

If you get a probe just attach it to a piece of copper in/out of the GTHP and insulate it with rubber insulation. You will get good measurements this way.

I have some experience with PT ports and I don't believe they are made for long term immersion.

Post Likes

P/T port testing tools

Quote Originally Posted by rjkobbeman View Post
    All:

I would like to monitor EWT and LWT on my Waterfurnace unit. I have read that some people just stick a meat thermometer in the p/t port but those seem like they are too big.

Ideally, I would like to purchase a real gauge set designed for this purpose but have had no luck finding what I need.

Have any of you accessed your p/t ports on your systems? If so, what did you use?

Thanks.

Did you ever find out what gauge and temp. probes are needed from Waterfurnace? I'm needing the same tools for account we picked up. I've heard that waterfurnace has a kit that you can get, but i have not had a chance to get a hold of them and looking to find a part number or site where i can buy them.

Daniel -

Post Likes
    We just moved into a house with a hydro delta mega tek geothermal unit and the HP light is on. It made a humming noise right before it stopped working. This is while the a.c. is running. Now the a.c. Kicks on but only runs for a few seconds before cutting off again. We don't know anything about this unit make or model number. Is there anything anyone can tell me about what may be the problem? We tried to contact an a.c. repair man but he said it would be 450 bucks to come out on a weekend. Any information is appreciated. Only been in the house 2 months.

Post Likes
    Call a tech, not many left that are familiar with the older HydroHeat Delta Mega-Tek (Quadro Therm or Protocol) geo-thermal heat-pump equipment. Very high end and very finicky. Hard to diagnose without the Banana Diagnostic Terminal, too.
    Humming noise could have been the main blower motor, board mounted water pump relays, etc. System may be married to a Hydro-Flow Center that contains one or two water pumps, but this would be separate from the unit itself. Nothing in there that a layman can quickly diagnose.

Make sure who you call is familiar with water source heat-pumps....Good Luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rjkobbeman View Post
    All:

Thanks.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Cooper-Atkins model DPP400W-0-8 works fine on my daughter's Waterfurnace. It has a small tip that can be easily inserted in the PT ports.
    Old and in the way.

Post Likes
    Lube the probe with water based lubricant they will fit !
    They are tight and I always worry when pushing them in as Well I have never seen a temperature and pressure gauge that fits those in one unit I have a pressure gauge and remove it then insert thermometer

Post Likes
    Another note I also wouldn't recommend leaving probes inserted long term if you wanted change out fittings and use one of those CPI gauges with a tee

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in