• About once a year

1 4.35%
  • I see them at least 2 or 3 times a year

2 8.70%
  • Nearly every month

17 73.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Post How often do you see Anticipators in your service work?

This is a poll for all who do residential service work. How often do you see Adjustable Anticipators in your thermostats? How often do these anticipators cause problems that must be diagnosed?

There is the real possibility that some respondents will say 'never' simply because they do not know what an anticipator is or how to diagnose it, nevertheless, I am curious to see how widespread they are in Residential, or even Commercial Service work around the country.

Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    I see them regularly and set them properly on every install which has one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican3 View Post
    I see them regularly and set them properly on every install which has one.

some old people just don't like newer technology.......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    some old people just don't like newer technology.......
    I kinda figured that there are relatively few models of t-stats that have anticipators nowadays - any chance one of you friendly voters who regularly sees anticipators could give a model number, link, or some other indicator of what kind of stat you see them on most frequently?

Post Likes
    on all the non dig. stats except for millivolt you will find an anticipator except for one resi. cust. that has a pneumatic system still in place.

Post Likes
    I see them a lot, we usually install digital with new install. I seen one burn up and started small flame. Some people think old one lasted 20 years, the new one probably not. Why get new one?

Post Likes
    T87s are the most common around here. We installed thousands over the years as did everyone else. I have a couple dozen good ones on the shelf. Stopped saving the good ones and recycle them at the wholesalers now.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Years ago all the t-stats for cooling & heating, had a non-adjustable cooling anticipator & the heating anticipator was usually adjustable.

For increased efficient operation, I personally like a temp differential spread between kick-on & off on heating & especially on cooling. Some want & like the close temp tolerances. - Darrell

Post Likes
    I see them on a daily basis. Pretty much all mercury operated thermostats have an adjustable anticipator...

I'll adjust them to the gas valve. Whether it makes a difference or not, I dont know. I've never had any complaints though. I would just sell the person a more accurate digital thermostat instead of messing with anticipator settings (unless it was set WAY off for some reason)....

Post Likes
    Goes to show you never know what other guys are working with. I have seen an anticipator once in the last 5 years. I thought 'lookie there, an anticipator!' and I had a bit of trouble explaining to the helper what it was for. (good thing the RSES NATE Study guide I have in my van has a good amount of info on them)

I took the NATE Senior Cert on Saturday, and there were nearly 10 questions (out of 100) where the anticipator was either the focus or an option for the question. Seemed a bit excessive, but it goes to show that you never know what all is out there.

It's not too late though - any midweek visitors wanna vote my way!?!?

Post Likes
    Just had a call last Saturday where the H/O came down to their beach house for the weekend and had no heat. This was after having the local electrician out the week before because of no heat. Found the anticipator way out of adjustment and the sequencer not bringing on one element amd the fan. Replaced the sequencer, adjusted the anticipator to the system, and system is now operating normally. Saw the invoice from the Juice Jockey,,,,he "adjusted the thermostat."
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    See them almost every day. The mercury stats have not all been replaced. That is not much of a question. Anyone that does service work sees them every day.
    Blue Fox

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lentz View Post
    See them almost every day. The mercury stats have not all been replaced. That is not much of a question. Anyone that does service work sees them every day.
    Well now easy there cowboy, not everyone who does service work sees them everyday - I do service work with Baysis communicating thermostats that I log into over the internet about every other week, that does not mean that anyone who does service work sees internet accessible thermostats every week, just means I do.

I will admit that they are a bit more common than I thought - I guess that is the point of the excercise.

Where are you located that you see them so much?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast