Post Likes

vantage aire water source ac units

working on 2 of these units that cool transformer and switchgear room.both units, according to plant maint people and previous jman tech at our co,have said they never worked right since installed.these are modular style units that have comp, id coil and all refer piping mounted on one slide in assem and blower assem and motor on upper slide in assem.return temp was 85,supply air 55,fan motor draws full load amp.water in 55.both units freeze up id coils after running more than 1 hour. on start up dis 235 suc 71 sh 18 sc 9 sight glass clear.within 3-5 mins,suc starts to fall sh stays 17-18 and sc starts to climb.pulled out charge, evac and weigh in to label specs.got the same results.these are 10 ton units each, but looking at indoor coil, which i pressure washed before i started,seem too small.3 row coil maybe 38 by 38 inchs.spec sheet says 8.5sg ft of coil surface.no air bypassing the coil i see.if they run long enough,the liquid line will ice up to txv outlet. thought i would see if anyone has seen these units before.

Post Likes
    55' inlet condensor water temp,does it have a water regulating valve on it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by al o View Post
    55' inlet condensor water temp,does it have a water regulating valve on it?

Whats the water supply out of the condenser, what's the approach of the cond barrel? My guess is liquid is building on the condenser barrel. Have you got model serial make of units?

http://contractingbusiness.com/service/cb_imp_44702/

Post Likes
    yes it does.when first started up,temp rise thru the plate type htx is normal,10-11.when suc starts to drop the sc starts to rise backing up the r-22 in the htx.it will get to point the liquid line temp out of the htx is about the same as incoming water. the dryer ,sight glass,and then txv will be at same temps. pulled some charge out of one system until sc would stay at 9-10deg and slight flashing at sight glass.temp drop thru htx then would stay normal.dis around 235-245.sh17-18, suc still low45-47 then id coil starts to ice at bottom and top of coil first.dist body and tubes out ice up almost instantly on start up.and yes fan rotation is correct,return is 40 by 40 thru the wall with 4 18 by 18 by 1 filters. blower section access panel will suck out of your hand to unit within the 4 to 5 inchs of attaching.i am still thinking either to small mid coil or maybe wrong or missing nozzle in dist assem. the factory rep was brought out after first installed,his solution was to have suc acclumulator put on one unit, and basically said they worked as should.the plant has 2 more compressor section modules on site and they look just like the orginals,only diff is danfoss instead of copeland comps.

Post Likes
    chrishvacman mod #oncontrol panel vfobe2a4x on the comp module vo-oo110d-04c and vlc0100b1a21. looks like these were made in your area of the world.thanks for your help!

Post Likes
    Well it looks like vantage aire got bought by AERS but I don't see any other info on them heh so, whats your condenser approach? Possible air flow issues/ Are the units under load? Compressors have unloaders?

Post Likes
    chrishvacman cond app on the unit that still has label charge in it starts out low then gets high in a hurry.the unit i pulled some charge out to get to 9-10 sc runs lower then slowly rises.air flow was my first thought,return temps 77-79deg at air filters,comps are copeland cr or zr 108s scrolls. next week i will get a ladder and get up to supply duct and take off first supply grill and check if its sound lined, maybe a piece came loose. i kinda doubt it. its got foil wrap on the outside and duct noise would not be a issue in this place! while i got access to supply i am going to block off coil face with cardboard andcheck for bypassing of air.