Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I had a call christmas eve. No cool.
    I went out & the t-stat was turned off.
    it took me 6 hrs. to balance the 4 supply regesters in that tittie bar.
    Only 6 hrs would have taken me day's to do that.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    It would have but WIFE came looking for me.

Post Likes
    I DONT do on call - gave it up

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun66 View Post
    I DONT do on call - gave it up
    Ya we know shaun ya don't have to rub it in.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    There's 5 of us who take the on call routine. I'm not sure how they schedule it, but it didn't work out too slick this year. I had turkey day, took on call for a coworker for a couple days over Christmas, then I was picked for new years.

Oh well, I had to go out a few times each week (which is kinda odd, usually we don't get many calls), but it sure makes the checks more fun to look at.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    Newyears day 8am no heat, gas valve not opening. Couple of thumps with a wrench and its going hope it lasts till monday morning when parts house opens.

3am Saturday two small boilers down in a prison wing. Both on same wing and same problems. You know gas valves will fail if their rated for 10.5" and the inlet is approx. 5psi. And you just know we have gas valves and a regulator on their truck for Lochivar boilers.

And of course I'm already scheduled for first thing Monday!! Going to be a busy week.

Post Likes
    I was on call this whole week and till monday. Was on a few today starting out early AM. Never ends. "well I noticed the alarms last week. and it started to get warm on Tuesday, so we figured we better call Today. (Saturday 7am).

You say that to me and you just bought yourself a few more hours of my expertise.

Post Likes
    I've just had a couple of call outs over the holiday period, lost of control air in an educational bldg and loss of heat in another. Both relatively easy fixes, always glad when the holidays are over and things return to normal...or as normal as things get for early January and minus 30 Deg OA temps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    I was on call this whole week and till monday. Was on a few today starting out early AM. Never ends. "well I noticed the alarms last week. and it started to get warm on Tuesday, so we figured we better call Today. (Saturday 7am).

You say that to me and you just bought yourself a few more hours of my expertise.
    Sounds like a dumba$$ charge to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    Ya we know shaun ya don't have to rub it in.
    gotta rub it in, market guy - no on call. = AWESOME

Post Likes
    Got the on call New years day till next thursday. Had 3 calls yesterday..... second one was at Hooters. They swore they had 2 out of 3 gas furnace ac rooftop package units working, but i knew we had been there and called the guy who went back then. He said they had 2 systems down and only one working. Same problem in both. Nipple from pressure switch to inducer chamber had rusted off. They didnt want to fix em. So I go out and the one that was suppose to be working was in fact down. And of course we were right the other two were down. Bad hi temp limit. Pulled one from a down unit and off it ran. So I called my 3rd call..... lady said emergency heat was working... its late (5pm or so) I can go today. Did just that and spent 4 hrs there! 2 out of 3 down.
    Then went to another call were the heat pump was cranking out 19 degrees delta T but the heat strips werent energized. Someone wired it to w2 on a trane ahu. Tied it in to w1 and viola. 31 degrees delta T. was 31 degrees out. quiet evening...... (knocks on wood)
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun66 View Post
    gotta rub it in, market guy - no on call. = AWESOME
    I wouldn't get too cocky about that HOSS. There is no cake job with the tools for too long.

Factory rep job, even they sometime have to eat $hit. And, when the work slows down, you may have to do it.

Still for right now, your a flippin bastage in my book. When you want to come back to reality and be a real refrigeration man, we got a spot on the roster for you. Maybe. But if you become too wusified, soft, girly, you may not fit in.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes
    I was out on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve but just to 4:30 pm.
    Besides Cha Ching! I got two tins of homemade cookies, a bottle of 12 year old Glenlivet, and two bottles of homemade Italian wine.

The HO's were surprised I came out, two of these folks had service contracts with other HVAC companies, one was told Saturday as the soonest, the other was told Monday!
    We are having a cold snap in Philly at this time.

I am installing a furnace for the Glenlivet guy, his normal service provider is going to be surprised to see a new condensing furnace at their next scheduled visit.

My wife understands, and this happens rarely on a holiday, in fact I can count on my fingers the total times I have gone out at odd hours, in the last 30 years. Most of the time I can talk folks through a quick fix or they are understanding and wait till the next morning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast