Post Likes

Close HVAC if external doors are open

Hi, I am looking for help as a multi property owner in 'hot' Florida.

I need affordable wireless or wired hvac thermostat control or similar which can shut down ac and/or heating if an external door or window is left open for 3 ++ minutes. Some properties are condos some are standalone units, all have their own HVAC systems.

Restart of control should be simple but acceptable if delayed, 60++ minutes or so. (all times are flexible).

Even better if thermostat or so can be set at highest heat and lowest ac determined by landlord (me), but this is not vital.

My utility bills are going through the roof and I believe a lot is to do with tenants leaving doors open 'trying' to cool Florida.

Post Likes
    If these are vacation rental properties, I can tell you the door open switch will generate a lot of nuisance service calls, the ones I have seen shut the ac off as soon as the door is opened, but I suppose a knowledgeable technician could make it do so after a time interval

Otherwise, the compressor normally has a 5 minute short cycle timer, if they go in or out a few times an hour it is going to get hot in there

The Honeywell FocusPro 5000 is a good thermostat for rental properties, big display, simple to use, and has the minimum/maximum set point function your looking for

Post Likes
    I designed a delay on break / delay on make setup for a friend's place in Mexico. He seems pleased with it.

Door and/or window has to remain open for five minutes before unit is disabled. Unit will restart five minutes after door is closed. Door and window switches are wired in series.

They have a penthouse overlooking Caribbean. Tenants like to sleep with bedroom window open and the AC chugging along.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    Hi Swampfox & jrbenny
    What a quick response,thank you.

Swampfox; They are rental/vacation properties and I am concerned about the instant on/off hvac cycling problem, that is why I thought about the door/window being open for some time before close down. I could be happy with even 10 minutes before it closes down, its when the door is left open all day I am concerned.
    With a shortish penalty to the vacationer when the ac does not kick in for some time. I also thank you for the advice on the Honeywell FocusPro 5000

jrbenny; can you help, supply, show your Mexico system because I think your friends tenants are the ones who are using my properties!!!!

Thanks to both of you and a happy Christmas (am I allowed to say that in these PC days).

quintain

Post Likes
    Why not make them pay the energy bill?
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    Why not make them pay the energy bill?
    there are t-stats that you can control not your renters.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by quintain View Post
    Hi Swampfox & jrbenny
    What a quick response,thank you.

Swampfox; They are rental/vacation properties and I am concerned about the instant on/off hvac cycling problem, that is why I thought about the door/window being open for some time before close down. I could be happy with even 10 minutes before it closes down, its when the door is left open all day I am concerned.
    With a shortish penalty to the vacationer when the ac does not kick in for some time. I also thank you for the advice on the Honeywell FocusPro 5000

jrbenny; can you help, supply, show your Mexico system because I think your friends tenants are the ones who are using my properties!!!!

Thanks to both of you and a happy Christmas (am I allowed to say that in these PC days).

quintain
    I've already told you how to make it. If I posted a diagram, then I would be violating the No DIY rule.

Print my original post and give it to your HVAC company. If they can't read it and do it, hire a different company.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    I've already told you how to make it. If I posted a diagram, then I would be violating the No DIY rule.

Print my original post and give it to your HVAC company. If they can't read it and do it, hire a different company.
    Of course and thanks again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by quintain View Post
    Of course and thanks again.
    You are welcome. Merry Christmas!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    You are welcome. Merry Christmas!
    Thank you for your kind wishes and a happy Christmas to you and every one on the forum.

Post Likes
    www.viconics.com

they have what your looking for
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    This is a simple alternative to having an HVAC shut down unit.
    You can google Open Door Alarm for a wireless alarm that will sound when a door is left open.
    It is tamperproof and is designed for short term rental properties.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Door Alarm View Post
    This is a simple alternative to having an HVAC shut down unit.
    You can google Open Door Alarm for a wireless alarm that will sound when a door is left open.
    It is tamperproof and is designed for short term rental properties.
    FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! The last post in this thread was in 2009, 10 YEARS AGO! Have you no manners?
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."