+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noisy Compressor

Post Likes

Noisy Compressor

I have a 3 ton water furnace approx 3 yrs old. It has two zones, a closed loop with a desuperheater. I like the system with one exception, the noisy compressor. During the heating season the compressor runs almost 24/7. The compressor noise is loud enough throughout our WHOLE house that as much as I like the system(evenness of heat, desuperheater, efficiency) I would consider not installing geo in the future. The whine/hum penetrates the WHOLE house and guests often ask what the noise is. Can someone help me with the noise???? Is this common??? My contractor has failed with a solution. The shipping bolt has been removed, the compressor is wrapped with insulation, and the unit is on a foam board covered with a cement type exterior. I question the foam board and wonder if a "gel" type or other material would help cancel the noise. The first 6' of the metal return and supply are insulated. It is a long way from a whisper. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thank you,
    Noisy Compressor

Post Likes
    Is this a scroll or recipocating? Does it have a discharge muffler? Is this transmitted water or refrigerant piping noise? Is the unit mounted on isolation pads or mounted rigid to the building stucture? Pics and model# may help

Post Likes
    I would first physically disconnect the water piping from the desuperheater connections on the unit to see if that helps before going any further.

Post Likes
    Are you suggesting that the compressor noise is being transmitted through the desuperheater piping?

Post Likes
    It is a dual capacity 3 ton Envision. I think it is also a dual capacity scroll compressor. The unit is mounted on a foam board covered with a cement type exterior. TeeBall57 maybe on to something... I put my ear to the hot water supply line 55' from the desuperheater and water heater and could hear the same whine/hum that I hear through the whole house although, not as loud. Could the house be magnifying the sound from the hot supply lines?
    Thanks,
    Noisy Compressor

Post Likes
    It's been known to happen, disconnect those line and you'll find out.

Post Likes
    I have shut valves between the external connections for the desuperheater and the water heater. Can I safely shut off those valves and disconnect the lines from the external connections on the front of the water furnace with out damaging the desuperheater. Or is there other procedures before just disconnecting the lines? I am concerned about "dry firing" the desuperheater with no supply and return.

Post Likes
    Yes you will want to turn off the desuperheater (switch on front of unit below the lights) and use a bucket to drain the water from the lines.

Post Likes
    makes sense. What about when I reconnect the lines. Is there any purging involved or does it purge automatically?
    THanks.

Post Likes
    I thought we might take this a step at a time. If that does not cure your noise issue then yes I would recommend purging and don't over tighten those fittings. They seal with a rubber ring.

If that does cure your noise issue you will have to reconnect differently.
    Enough for now, let's see if disconnect of lines helps.

Post Likes
    You don't suppose someone left the shipping bolt in the compressor mount in that Envision do you?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icesoft View Post
    You don't suppose someone left the shipping bolt in the compressor mount in that Envision do you?
    On his first post he said they removed shipping bolt

Post Likes
    You describe the sound as being heard throughout the house.

Are you using flexible stainless steel braided hoses to connect water to the unit?
    They help isolate vibration.
    Is there a flexible collar(fabric) on the duct between the unit and the ducting?
    A duct collar as used on a forced air furnace or air handler is ESSENTIAL to reducing noise in supply and return ducting.

A compressor blanket will help some but it sounds to me as if you have a systemic problem more than a component specific problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in