Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: leak detectors

Post Likes

Is this new enough to sniff the HCFC's?

Will this detector do the job for the new gases?

Johnson Controls RLD-H10G Leak Detector

I found it on ebay for <$30

a deal or a waste of money?

Or is one H10 just as good as any other H10?

Thanks

Post Likes
    An H10G is an H10G.

Yokogawa makes them all.

I heard tell that they are now part of bacharach.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by bryan l
    ... I found an electronics wholesaler that I get materials was selling the exact same battery for $20usd...
    Hello Brian,
    After many bad experiences - I use my H10 and nothing else - period!
    Please let me know where to get the replacement battery - thanks - walter.
    Yesterday, I didn't even know how to spell Engineer, today I'm already one!

Post Likes
    I have an H-10. Infact I bought my first one in 1964. I just bought a CPS LS3000 and am really impressed. Picks up everything and sensivity is calibratable. My D-tek quit picking up 134-a even after changing tips. It was 8 yrs old so into the dumpster it went. I never liked it anyway. First bat. one I got was a Tiff. That lasted about 1 day. What a piece of junk.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

bryan l Guest
    I found it at a place called AeroBell electronics. there a wholesale place that does instrumentation, controls and electronic.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by bryan l
    I found it at a place called AeroBell electronics. there a wholesale place that does instrumentation, controls and electronic.
    Bryan - thanks for the reply. But I can't find AeroBell electronics... Please try to find a bit more info on this; I am sure many others would like to a find a cheaper replacement battery!

Have a great day - walter.
    Yesterday, I didn't even know how to spell Engineer, today I'm already one!

Post Likes
    I have one of these thats like new. I got it on Ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:LC:US:1

[Edited by rickebay on 06-23-2004 at 11:12 PM]

Post Likes
    I have found the H10 to be a POS with 404 and 507

dtek worked better,
    bought a ritchie one last yr, kicks ass on 404 and 507, we have 16 of the ritchies now, my h10 and dtek are in my garage now

Post Likes

Talking leak detectors

aw hell fellas,put that nitro bottle on and crank that baby up,you will find your leak,trust me if the rest of the tubing blows apart,then the integrity of tubing has broken down.
    if at first you dont succeed,then skydiving is not for you

Post Likes
    Originally posted by shaun66
    I have found the H10 to be a POS with 404 and 507

dtek worked better,
    bought a ritchie one last yr, kicks ass on 404 and 507, we have 16 of the ritchies now, my h10 and dtek are in my garage now

There's more types of freon blends out there today than just 404 and 507.

I'm looking at the new Backarack H10 batter powered.

Post Likes

Re: Is this new enough to sniff the HCFC's?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by R12rules
    Will this detector do the job for the new gases?

Johnson Controls RLD-H10G Leak Detector

I found it on ebay for <$30

a deal or a waste of money?

Or is one H10 just as good as any other H10?

Used to swear by the H-10 but find its not picking up the new gases very well, we use alot of R507. Bought that Ritchie Accuprobe that Shaun66 referred to and it works well, almost too sensitive at times though to narrow down location.
    Our guys are using it more often, they all have H-10's or D-teks but the new Ritchie from the shop is seeing lots of use. A bit more costly but you'll save in the long run on sensors, I believe it comes with 2 year sensor warranty.

As for H-10's I have 3
    H-10G green leather case, 110 volt, this one still works great, better than the cordless but hassle in a big store.

H-10P black plastic case, cordless, variety of brand names attached to it (mars, johnson, etc) crappy battery life, although we found that replacement batteries bought from the local battery shop are alot cheaper and held charge longer. Also expensive and short lived sensors. Pain in the ass to keep charged up for when you really need it, and not picking up the HFC's worth a crap anyhow. Seems to find them little cap leaks but not the big one?

H-10XP pistol type, replacable batteries like a cordless drill. Thought this would be great with the swappable batteries, but it has the same problems with senors and problems picking up HFC's

An H-10 for $30.00 is probaly shot and needs a new pump.
    Did a search on Ritchie Leak Detector, they were $349 US at one site. Probaly a bit more at the wholesaler.

Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

Post Likes
    I've tried so many leak detectors it's mind blowing. H10 works great as long as your not looking for leaks with blends, R404A, R507, etc. I've used the battery operated H10PM, battery life is terrible and so is the cost. It works great for R22, I've found very small leaks. I had a Kool Gas line that was blowing during defrost, I went in approx. 20 hours after the defrost and was able to pin point the exact area and pull a 2 foot section in a frozen coffin case and make repairs to the line. The H10's Rock just don't use them for blends.

D-Tech was a contender about 2-3 years ago, the one thing I did like about the D-Tech was if it was set on low and it pegged out there was no doubt in my mind there was a leak. The auto reset was a pain when there was a high concentration of gas (that's where the H10PM in manual mode totally Rocks, because you can tune it down). I sold my D-Tech about a 1 1/2 years ago on E-bay.

The Tech-Mate made by Inficon, the same Company that makes the D-Tech is very good at picking up blends and pure fluids. It works on the same type of scale as the D-Tech, LOW and HIGH. It's fairly cheap and operates on D cell batteries. I like this unit but I'm starting to loose confidence in it as it gets older. The sensor has been replaced and it seems to have lost it's luster. I like the fact that the sensor is back in the unit and not at the tip, moisture is not as great of a danger to this unit as models that have heated tips at the end of the probe.

The Tiff FZX-1 (the Big Blue Dong) I used it for a while, picks up blends and fluids very well but is way too sensitive for my likes, picks up too many ghosts and leads you in circles. I got tired of pressing the tune down or reset button. Sometimes in Super Markets you'll get Blower leaks and trying to find the source with the FZX-1 will drive you out of your mind. I have not used the latest and greatest Tiffs so I can't give an honest opinion. I have used several of the older Tiffs and found them to be inconsistent. I tried the big loud Noisy one mentioned at the top of this thread, it does pick up everything! I mean everything, air, ambient air temp change, fluorescent lights in cases, propane exhaust ( from floor buffers). Maybe it's just me! I don't care for the Tiffs, they have led me on too many wild goose chases. Don't be slanted by my opinion, there are many techs who like them, I'm not one of them.

I just bought the Yellow Jacket/Ritchie AccuProbe. I haven't tried it yet, I've heard it's supposed to be the latest and greatest. The parts guy at ARS said that Raley's/BelAir-Nob Hill Super Market chain conducted a test using all the top Leak Detectors for over a month in their California stores, they have their own in house Design and service department by the way. They are very picky about their choices, after the test was completed they bought 30 AccuProbes! Well, I guess I'll just have to see for myself. I do like the fact you can choose High, Medium and Low detection levels plus it has a digital read out that scales the severity of the leak. I'll check back and post results.

If I had it my way I would have a leak detector modeled after the H10PM, it would have a 24 hour operation cycle and use disposable batteries and pick up all types of refrigerants. I like the fact you can put he H10PM in Manual or Auto mode, set the level at High, Medium or Low and manually tune the heater up or down. When this happens I'll buying with out hesitation.

Post Likes
    had a mars h-10-piece of junk -was not the same as the old johnson h-10.now use a 3 year old d-tek-the brand new oes were having warranty problems with the infr-red sensing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast