+ Reply to Thread

Thread: carrier heat pump water source

Post Likes

carrier heat pump water source

Working on a carrier M# 50rhr036scc51130
    S# 3805v19316
    Keeps locking out, can't figure out why water into the unit 80f water out 125f
    Suction pressure 75 psig
    Discharge,before entering condenser 325 psig
    Suction line temp 64f
    Superheat 8f

There are 2 fairly new units in the same building doing the same thing!

I try turning unit on and off 3 times and jump out test pins but its not giving me a code
    Thanks for any help!

Post Likes
    Is unit 3 phase? If not check MFD on run capacitors, or check amps on compressor. Could also be overcharged, sounds like superheat is low. What is units superheat requirement. Does it have TXV? check subcooling. . .

Post Likes
    Is the unit on a water source heat-pump loop? In other words you don't have a restrictor of some kind on the water flow device, ie; head pressure water regulating or balancing valve of some type?? These are designed to have about an 8-10 deg f split on the water side on the condenser coil. At that time the suction should come down to around 60-65 psig. I believe these have a cap tube or an accurator for metering so the suction will follow the head. It looks to me like your superheat should be around 19 deg f by the temperature pressure chart. If it has a fixed restrictor for metering the refrigerant then set the condenser to an 8-10 deg f Delta T on the water side and then dial the charge to about a 15 deg F superheat. I find that any lower and you start to have compressor problems when you have a cap tube or Accurator.

The other thing that might cause your failure is a overflow on the drain pan. If it has a float on it anyway. I don't remember if these have pan floats.

Let us know what you find in the end. Good luck.

JJ

Post Likes
    Hello fellow frustrated technician. I have been working on Carrier 50rhr036zcc50130, with very similar conditions. The delta between water in and water out is about 65F. Head and Suction pressures are very similar.
    The unit keeps locking out. Driving me nuts.

Two things I found wrong with the unit. First.... the unit was grossly overcharged, and I reclaimed just over a pound out of the unit. This brought my head down to about 225. Secondly I am having the building mngt acid wash the coil. It must be fouled. Reduced water flow thru the coil. Good luck with your unit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hotcoolguy View Post
    Hello fellow frustrated technician. I have been working on Carrier 50rhr036zcc50130, with very similar conditions. The delta between water in and water out is about 65F. Head and Suction pressures are very similar.

Two things I found wrong with the unit. First.... the unit was grossly overcharged, and I reclaimed just over a pound out of the unit. This brought my head down to about 225. Secondly I am having the building mngt acid wash the coil. It must be fouled. Reduced water flow thru the coil. Good luck with your unit
    65 delta?????? thats crazy. Those LOR can only be reset by power off / on. You need to flush that condenser from scale. I have about 15 of these units. If your water flow is reduced for whatever reason, that head pressure rises quickly. And you said pressures are very similar??? What was the room temp, and water inlet temp. Is it a heat pump? might wanna check your temps across that RV, could be leaking discharge into suction side. But you dont have any pressures listed so its hard to say anything.
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Post Likes
    water into the unit 80f water out 125f

Normal split is 10 - 15F in cooling depending on flow.

You have a flow and or fouling issue.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teeball57 View Post
    water into the unit 80f water out 125f

Normal split is 10 - 15F in cooling depending on flow.

You have a flow and or fouling issue.
    i agree. check strainers, flow regulators, etc. for debris/ blockage. sounds like a water flow issue to me. what is your water pressure drop across the coil? list any of the previously mentioned parts on your water system, and any other interesting conditions. how many units on this loop? does each unit have its own pump or is there a central pump system? you state the units are fairly new. is the entire system new or did new units get installed on an old loop? what is the piping material, i.e. poly, steel, copper?

Post Likes
    oops! like those before me, i will not get an answer from the o.p. because the question is over a year old! i guess i should check the dates first.....

Post Likes
    yea sounds like some type of restriction in the heat exchanger or strainer. Also check the powerhead on the txv and make sure unit isnt kicking out from a freezestat

Post Likes

45 degree water delta

hx is scailed and/or water flow is low

Post Likes

over a year old

Need I say anymore

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hotcoolguy View Post

65* delta T on the condenser? Do you think it was really overcharge? Yea the unit will lock out, ON HI PRESS!!.Now that you brought the HP down to 225 with a fouled condenser, I'm pretty sure when the condenser is cleaned the unit will be locking out again driving you nuts.

Post Likes
    best union shops in NYC?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in