Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Ask the contractor to see the room by room Manual J load. Then ask to see the Manual D duct plan. Did he install dampers in the ducts? Sounds like you paid $$$ for a good high SEER system and the installer short changed you on duct work.

Call him back out, you paid the money. Have him fix it right.

STUD

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    just because you hav a 17 seer 2 speed heat pump with a variable speed motor doesn't mean properly sized duct work is not needed. proper sized duct work WILL make your 17 seer 2 speed heat pump with a variable speed motor more effiecent and will increase its life span. provided you are also using a very high eff. media filter to keep the system clean.

dogboy
    Make sure the media filter is properly sized with a low pressure drop or the benefit gained from the high efficiency ductwork will go out the window. Make sure you keep the system resistance as low as possible and you will get good performance and life from the system High resistance to air flow, wether from the ducts or from the filters, will degrade system performance.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    what state do you live in? If i had to guess you probally dont have one peice of duct that is sized right. I live in virginia and I have never seen a 3 ton heatpump that needed 20 kw of strip heat.
    WORK HARDER!!!!! millions on welfare depend on you...
    opinions are like bungholes everbody has one...

Post Likes
    Earlier when I said "When I had a home energy audit done, the inspector said my ducts were just "marginal" for the size of the air handler but I didn't really want to replace all of the ductwork if possible."..... What I forgot to add was that the technician that installed my new heat pump told me I did not have to replace the ductwork. But then again, he also told me it was fine to adjust the dampers and that as long as I didn't hear whistling from the fan, that it was OK. I don't believe he did any of the Manual J Load or Manual D Load calculations either. He simply removed the old unit (10seer unit that bit the dust) and replaced it with the new one.

Post Likes
    What you just stated explains everything !!!! Now manual D, J, So it's very possible he went the old rule of thumb and simple replaced what you already had existing instead of sizing the equipment the proper way so oyu now A) have equipment that is over sized, or B) have equipment that maybe sized properly but have undersized ductwork leaving you with equipment that will live a short life because of it, and you the homeowner is going to be miserable until you decide to have everything fixed properly and should you decide to have these issues fixed your not going to be able to enjoy the full benefits of the new equipment and also the huge savings you can put in the bank each month.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12