Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Question Please help with heat pump "balancing" issue

Hello, I am the proud owner of a new Comfortmaker 17seer 2 stage 3 ton heat pump with 20KW electric auxillary and variable speed blower. My house is ~2000 sq feet and I have one room that is the furthest away from the air handler and in the winter is about 5 degrees colder than the rest of the rooms and in the summer, it is about 5 degrees hotter. I have tried to "balance" this issue by adjusting/closing dampers for the other rooms but I want to make sure I am not hurting the unit.

Here are my questions:
    1.) Can I hurt the unit by closing off other dampers to get a "balance"? (I had the impression that since I have a variable speed blower, it will compensate for the reduced air flow... but I may be wrong)
    2.) I have 2 other rooms on the other end of the house that I don't use. Can I close them off without damaging the equiptment? When I do close them off, the rest of the house seems to be much more balanced.

I have read a lot of the other posts on this forum saying that it is not a good idea to restrict dampers or close off rooms, but I wanted to see if I had a different scenario because of my variable speed blower. I hate having one room (master bedroom) that is always colder or warmer than the rest of the house.

Thank you for your help!!!!

Post Likes
    Do not close the registers. It does nothing for the unit except build up static pressure. No good can come from this...

call your contractor to come out and deal with the balancing....duct changes may need to be done to get the required CFM at the correct FPM to achieve the goal.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    if its that far off add a two or three zone zoning system with a 14-16 inch balancing damper so your system can be fine tuned to those rooms and also have any back pressure be regualted properly..

if they didnt change your ducts and your old system was larger that maybe the problem and the answer is again zoning or redoing all the ducts..

what was replaced ,how ell is your home insulates,?radiant barrier,e windows etc what partnof the country are you in? did they do a proper heat load when changing system?

Post Likes
    can you get to the duct to install some booster fans, this will allow you to pull more air into the room without alot of extra cost.

Post Likes
    You have duct issues.

Call your contractor back.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes

an extra return (if possible) in the problematic room might help

Post Likes
    Thanks for your help, I am looking into duct booster fans now. I think it might be the perfect fix for my problem. When I had a home energy audit done, the inspector said my ducts were just "marginal" for the size of the air handler but I didn't really want to replace all of the ductwork if possible.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doinkeroni View Post
    Thanks for your help,* I am looking into duct booster fans now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Duct booster fans are over rated. Usually a waste of money that makes more noise but not much more air.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    Are your grilles OBD (Opposed Blade Damper) type? if not you CANNOT EFFECTIVELY balance anything. We balance homes after installs as a requisite and it is important. If the home owner does not have OBD's we include that with the cost of the new A/C system. Are the ducts in good shape? Do not shut your grilles off. You could potentially damage the system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    Don't worry, he'll be back....

Pay me now or pay me later.....you know how the story goes.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    just because you hav a 17 seer 2 speed heat pump with a variable speed motor doesn't mean properly sized duct work is not needed. proper sized duct work WILL make your 17 seer 2 speed heat pump with a variable speed motor more effiecent and will increase its life span. provided you are also using a very high eff. media filter to keep the system clean.

dogboy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast