+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brazing Rods; any good?

Post Likes

Brazing Rods; any good?

A customer gave these to me. I have used 15% forever. It serves me well , especially if the the connection isn’t so good. How do theses sticks stack up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    look like 15%, so great!

Post Likes
    Cu 92%, phosphorus 7.5%.
    No si.

4. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Check vendor spec & recommendations
    My assumptions: more liquidious & less ductile.
    Not sure about phosphorus for ref lines.

6. Likes newoldtech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ok for ref. Recommend low clearance joints & low vibration locations. Ok with brass or cu, flux w/brass.

8. Likes newoldtech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    nope thats not silfos

10. Likes newoldtech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’m not sure it’s worth using since there is no silver. Silver is normally added for strength. It would probably hold fine initially but it’s hard to say how it would stand up to vibration.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

12. Likes newoldtech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks guys! I’ll just put it behind all my 15% silflo in my shop. My wife can sell it all for a couple of dollars in an estate sale when I’m gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Those are brazing rods not silver solder.
    I was asked to use copper/phosphorus rods many years ago. Boss wanted to save some $$$ and was given
    the rods by a sales person that must have disappeared because I never got any more. They worked but I
    had not had much experience using silver either.
    Too green at the time to make a conclusion. The fitters were also given some. Mostly used on 2 5/8" joints.
    I do know the piping leaked but not sure if it was the rods or the lack of flow or a lack of skill. Seems the
    more silver the better flow into the joint.
    I wouldn't risk using them on anything that counts. If anyone has experience, chime in.
    Probably intended for normal brazing not soldering.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    I’m not sure it’s worth using since there is no silver. Silver is normally added for strength. It would probably hold fine initially but it’s hard to say how it would stand up to vibration.
    Manufacturers have stopped using silver content every where possible to cut cost. Daikin went to 0hp rods for cu/cu & cu/brass ; silicon bronze rods for cu/steel. The bronze rods have no capillary action so 45% silver is still used on some cu/steel.

You can use 15% over either if making repairs. The silver free rods have similar strength, but more difficult to control flow and less ductile. Harder to use on poor fitting joints without filling the pipe.

Post Likes
    I have brazed quite a bit with harris blockade and really like it. It’s great for brass since it has a slightly lower melting point. Flows very nicely.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    It's said a great pool player can beat most people with a broom stick instead of his cue stick.
    Probably a skilled tech can make most any rod work. They understand what and how but
    probably would rather work with the rod of choice and probably, like the pool player, has a favorite for
    different work types. Like a break cue, a jump cue, a play cue.

When I started my company I would find silver rod on roofs. Some was not even used. I never had to buy any rod for full a year except for those special joints where 45% or blue or pink rod will do better.
    I would not have wasted rod that way but it did allow me to experiment with different flavors. All the percents of silver and brands.
    The more silver the better I liked it. Different brands didn't seem to have notable differences but it's OK to have a favorite. At the supply shop I never shopped brand, just percent.

But once I did. A job at Sandia Nat.Labs. The 2" thick spec book stated what can't be used on their sweat copper connections (not what can) I was going to use ol' 95/5 but the spec said no antimony allowed somewhere in the middle of the spec book.
    First I had heard. Also no lead (expected) but a bunch of other stuff I wasn't sure of. Finding a semi soft solder that qualified was a serious hassle. I doubt anyone would have done a lab test of what I used but where $$ have risk I would rather not. I think it was Harris that had what I needed. BTW they make a whole lot of solders.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    I played with some no silver content brazing rod, it's a little more tricky with the heat and getting it to flow smoothly, but nothing that could not be overcome. I've just used 15% ever since, seems like a bad place to cut expense.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in