Thread: Doesn't matter who makes it. The new components are junk.

Post Likes

Doesn't matter who makes it. The new components are junk.

Anyone else having trouble with new equipment and components from the big name manufacturers?
    I've just had a run on sporlan headmasters. Did like 6 of them in the last month. These are on new units (less than 2 years old)
    I used to do only 3 or 4 a year and they were all on ancient units.
    My other rant is suction accumulators. Had 2 this winter alone that cracked on the weld where the copper joined the steel. One was an emerson, the other one on a tecumseh condenser.
    Welding up an accumulator at 40 below is no fun on a good day. But it's extra special when the customer spent good money on a new unit.
    Before this year I don't think I ever saw an accumulator leak. That's one of those parts that lasts the life of the system.
    I can't be the only one?
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.

Post Likes
    Same here but I thought I was the only one to complain. All various parts including condensing units which use to be rock solid. Short story. Old restaurant customer called asking me to fix his built in salad bar unit that was built in 1968. Of course the system had been changed/repaired before but this time he'd gone through a few refer companies with no lasting luck. So he called me. I replaced the 1/4 hp condensing unit, new controls, new refrigerant lines, new evap, new TXV and even added an extra cooing fan for the small space the condenser was sitting in so it would not run so hot.

I gave him a fixed price as I've done so many of these. Takes about 4 to 5 hours if the waite people are there. Less if they are not.

First condensing unit had leak from the factory. Took it back which took 2.5 hours up and back twice, ordered another one. Reinstalled. New one also had a leak. Fixed it myself. Installed it. The new TXV would not work. Went through 3 of them before one would work. The supplier would not credit the first two. Now going on about 2 weeks. Hook it all up and found the liquid line dryers brazed shut from the factory braze. Cut it out then got another which they did give me credit for. Supplier is about 20 miles away through heavy traffic. Put it all back together again. Added up all the costs including the raw travel time and expense and I figured I lost about $1,000 on a system that I have done tons on. Told the owner no more fixed costs...time and material only.

Same has happened with two wine room units I ordered. Same happened with a few 1/2 to 3/4 HP blower motors. And I'm sure there is more.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Emerson has been buying up hvacr related companies like crazy for a few years now. Then moving mfg out of country. I’ve seen problems where check valves didn’t seat, txv’ lost head charge, defective fan motors extreme, delivery issues.

Parts from India, china, Mexico, vietnam...

Mostly simple quality issues or mfg shortcuts.

Post Likes
    I visited a large shoe manufacturer facility located out of the country (in Private forums I would say who and where not in Public). I was appalled at the way things were set up. Only young women between the ages of 16 and 21 were working the line. They were all issued make-up, uniforms, and they were all just miserable. I could tell, bad things were happening in that place with management and these girls. But their attributes got them the job and they were the bread winners for their families. I am sure they sacrificed a lot to work there.

What I am getting at is that if they are miserable and do not care, then that is going to be manifested ever so slightly in the quality of their work. Not saying that all these over-seas plants are horrible places. But most have a work-force that really do not care one way or another about the quality of their work.

Also I strongly believe that the quality of the materials being used are to be in question. Not all rubber that is black is the same, not all plastic that is white is the same, and the quality of the brass, copper, and steel is suffering. I believe that the Chinese who most of the world relies on for small components that are utilized in the manufacturing of larger components, knowingly skimp on the quality. Maybe not their fault, just what the world is now demanding...cheaper products??

Where I work we utilize a lot of pneumatics. One device uses a rubber nipple to verify if something is closed or open. If the end of the rubber nipple is obstructed air backs up and closes a remote switch, if the end of the nipple is not obstructed air blows through and the remote device is not activated. Just a way to prove something is where it is without metal touching metal or plastic touching metal (static and/or spark a huge no no here). These nipples use to last years before we needed to change them out. Now we can't get them to last more than a month without falling apart and cracking. Immense amount of down time is lost when things here are not running right because of these nipples. I contacted the manufacturer here in the USA. Great outfit who does make 99% of their products in the states, but guess what they just decided to outsource?? Yep, them nipples. Now being mold injected in China not in the original shop since local cost was probably a few cents more per nipple. I am lucky that this place has money, they found a local injection company, paid to have molding made and we make our own now, we could not afford the down time. Those Chinese black nipples and our black nipples look exactly the same, but our rubber mix does not dry out, crumble, and crack...why, quality of the rubber used.

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Found several over the years ( Accumulators ) that leaked, not very often thou. They seem to be always wet especially the bottom part. Seemed they tended to leak by the bottom where a threaded rod is welded onto it to secure it in a vertical position. I suppose they are made even more so in China now, so who knows the quality of metal used?

Probably doesn’t help either if the OD unit is not elevated for better water drainage during defrost in snow belt areas.

7. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Often it seems to me that one of the biggest differences in Chinese products is the finish. You get an old American part and it'll have the finest quality paint that lasted for decades and then you get the Chinese modern replacement and it's like metal is the same thing but the paint that's used is a cheap Rust-Oleum knock off or something.
    It drives me nuts when I buy a new part and I feel like I need to strip the paint and take it to my friend down at the paint and body shop to have it repainted.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Often it seems to me that one of the biggest differences in Chinese products is the finish. You get an old American part and it'll have the finest quality paint that lasted for decades and then you get the Chinese modern replacement and it's like metal is the same thing but the paint that's used is a cheap Rust-Oleum knock off or something.
    It drives me nuts when I buy a new part and I feel like I need to strip the paint and take it to my friend down at the paint and body shop to have it repainted.

You can go to the big box stores and buy plumbing copper fittings and see the poor castings on couplings as examples, almost looks like slag hanging from the ends. Just doing a visual and compare to a older American made copper fittings is striking IMO.

10. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Makes perfect sense to me. They make inferior (replacement) parts that are not cheap, then replacement of the whole unit becomes cheaper option, they sell more whole units

I've told this story before, but it's been a while. Back in about 1977 I was working in an HVAC factory. Two engineers come out on the floor and my boss said go make whatever these guys want. So off I go made just what the engineers wanted, they said thanks. I said excuse me if you start making parts like that they won't last very long maybe 2 years. They looked at me and grinned, one said it's called "Planned Obsolescence" and they left the area

Post Likes
    I just did a 3 hp low temp tecumseh condensing unit complete. Held -10 for ice cream perfect for 2 months then compressor started overheating going off on overload and locked up. Customer has been waiting 4 weeks for another compressor

Post Likes
    I had a couple compressor changeouts go bad too. Both small high temp copeland (embraco as copeland doesn't make small recips anymore)
    One went 3 months then locked up.
    The other made it overnight.
    Both were done really well, proper vaccum and dryers.
    So I can't explain it.
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.