Thread: Combining 2 suites - need advice

Post Likes

Combining 2 suites - need advice

I currently occupy a 1200 square foot office that has its own compressor and air handler. I am looking at expanding into the adjacent office (1100 square feet), which also has its own compressor and air handler. The air handler in the new space is inconveniently located and I would need to relocate it. I'd rather actually do away with it.

Is there a way to utilize the 2 existing compressors with a single air handler? The issue I have is space - I would like for the mechanicals to be contained within my existing mechanical closet. Or would I instead be looking at redoing the whole setup with a single larger unit that can supply the entire space on its own?

Post Likes
    There are dual circuit air handlers which are made for just this purpose. They aren't real common until you get into the bigger sizes. Are both outdoor units the same capacity? You'd have to completely redo the duct system to do this.

Post Likes
    Thanks BaldLoonie. They're both 5 ton units. I wonder which way is more cost effective, going with a dual circuit air handler or just replacing everything. The current units are going on 7 years. I'll need all new duct work in the new space anyway since I'll be renovating and turning an open space into one with multiple smaller rooms.

Post Likes
    What are the offices going to be used for, Can the air be mixed, what outside air requirements, What exhaust requirements?

Who sized this equipment,10-Tons for 2200 Sq Ft

Post Likes
    It's a dental office so lots of small rooms. Also it's the top floor of a 3 story building so it does get warm up there. I don't know the answer to your other questions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AuggieDaDoggie View Post
    It's a dental office so lots of small rooms. Also it's the top floor of a 3 story building so it does get warm up there. I don't know the answer to your other questions.
    You need an Engineer!

Medical before covid was special now it a whole new ball game!

Post Likes
    10 tons for 2400 sq feet?
    I'd want a proper commercial load calculation before changing anything.
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    10 tons for 2400 sq feet?
    I'd want a proper commercial load calculation before changing anything.
    With the new requirements for outside air it might be right!

Post Likes
    Do you own the building????

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AuggieDaDoggie View Post
    Dental offices also require 8-12 ACH of ventilation. That's a lot of capacity you need to take into account for the HVAC sizing.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    You need an Engineer!

Medical before covid was special
    ______ now it is a whole new ball game!
    ACCA Manual N or ASHRAE guidelines

https://henryscheinequipmentcatalog....r-purification

[16] US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Guidelines for Environmental Infection Control in Health-Care Facilities. https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol...round/air.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities