Thread: Residential UV lights are worthless and potentially hazardous - Change my mind

Post Likes

Residential UV lights are worthless and potentially hazardous - Change my mind

From what I've read and heard on podcasts, residential UV lights do not kill CV-19. I have seen them degrade air filters and the casing on wiring. I have concerns about ozone production even though the new lights claim "no ozone."
    I consider the big 3 for IAQ to be filtration, ventilation, and humidity control.

Let the debate commence.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

2. Likes TannerD, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I know not a lot of testing has been done. UV light has been known to kill many things. Sunlight UV-A if exposed long enough has shown to kill other viruses in the Covid Family. UV-B has been shown to help different skin conditions. UV-C has shown like UV-A that it kills most virus and bacteria, it's more potent and takes shorter exposure. There are many chemical's that kill Covid 19 and other Covid type virus So it is not a big leap to believe that UV-C will kill Covid-19, the question is how much exposure is needed. I would think it would be easy enough to test and see. I have heard all the guys with big brains that would do this testing have been too busy fighting Covid in trenches to do the testing for UV light. While I don't think it's worthless, I question a single virus (spore/molecule) exposed to UV-A or UV-C for a second is enough to kill it

4. Likes theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I attended a talk by ASHRAE on Covid mitigation strategies a few months ago. My understanding is that in-duct UV lamps are ineffective against Covid. As I recall this is for two reasons - the velocity of the virus going past the lamps and also the fact that a lot of the virus spores are wrapped in dust making the UV ineffective against them.

So yes they are probable not worth installing as a protection against Covid.

6. Likes R600a, baby b, drizler liked this post.
    Post Likes
    To say they are worthless is a bit of an overstatement but if you single out use on Covid 19 I have no argument at this time.

i have been installing UV lights for years. I agree that care must be taken as to where they are located as they do cause some plastics to deteriorate. I have one that I use as a trial for people so they can see if it cures the issues they are having without the expense of purchasing one only to find out it did not work. My unscientific conclusion is that about 60-70% of the time they help. I find it interesting that often times I go back to retrieve the unit and they say it didn't help only to have them call a few weeks later saying they want one. Like all things it is not a one size fits all application and should be treated as such in that it will only help some and not all with the data we have now.

The worst part is there will be dealers that will push the UV lamps and the 'Air Scrubber" type devices playing on peoples fear of a virus only as a profit center not an actual fix for anything.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    To say they are worthless is a bit of an overstatement but if you single out use on Covid 19 I have no argument at this time.

i have been installing UV lights for years. I agree that care must be taken as to where they are located as they do cause some plastics to deteriorate. I have one that I use as a trial for people so they can see if it cures the issues they are having without the expense of purchasing one only to find out it did not work. My unscientific conclusion is that about 60-70% of the time they help. I find it interesting that often times I go back to retrieve the unit and they say it didn't help only to have them call a few weeks later saying they want one. Like all things it is not a one size fits all application and should be treated as such in that it will only help some and not all with the data we have now.

The worst part is there will be dealers that will push the UV lamps and the 'Air Scrubber" type devices playing on peoples fear of a virus only as a profit center not an actual fix for anything.
    Air scrubber CLAIMS covid results.

specifically the hydroxyl blaster, but it uses a hepa filtration system in combination.

The idea being the hepa catches the junk, the UV kills it.
    Read the fine print, specifically the laboratory testing.

I've had success with PCO products.
    I've also had people hate them.

The biggest problem is the cost benefit doesn't make sense.

People are willing to pay X for it, but it costs 2X, forcing salesmen to come up with added value to meet the cost.
    Which is where people get burnt.

Post Likes
    We're selling i Waves like crazy. Whatchu boys think about it?

10. Likes theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Issues like optimum oxygen levels, minimal pollution levels, medium %RH, and comfort levels important issues Indoor air should be clean and free of mold spores and allergens. These issues are important now and long after COViD is a memory.

Oh, do not forget Vitamin D3.

People are buying equipment but not sure what really works.

Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes

Residential UV lights are worthless and potentially hazardous - Change my mind

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We're selling i Waves like crazy. Whatchu boys think about it?
    I like them. I did some research on it and decided to put one in my own house and that was NOT cheap.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    UV light is definitely effective at killing microbes. Our local water treatment facility switched over to a UV system so they no longer have to use chlorine as the treatment. UV is incredibly brutal to cells and micro organisms. For example, you cannot look at those bulbs. When they first came out a guy I know looked at them for a relatively short amount of time and it ruined his vision for a while. He went to the doctor and was basically treated like someone with arc flash damage. They do work, but how well, and under what conditions, can only be answered by scientific research.

A lot of hocus pocus gets introduced into this trade by tradesmen who make claims with zero scientific backing. Like for example, the old claim that you need two different manifold gauges for 22 and 410 because of the oil. I’ve noticed that the superstitions are always the worst when it comes to “unseen” agents like chemicals and in this case UV light.

If you really want to know about the credibility of UV light claims, you would need to contact the manufacturer and request their lab results or find something published in a scientific paper that discusses UV light. Did the podcast happen to cite any research that agrees with the claim that they are ineffective?
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."