+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Modine overhead heater.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstartedasacc View Post
    No. I don’t need diagnostic help and I don’t want to call and hope I get the one guy in all of the company that knows how they come apart. Too aggravating when I don’t get him. Was just hoping someone here would know the unit I posted and could say something like “Yeah. Take the side panel off. Remove a screw and the top slides out.” I’ll figure it out for myself.

I know you guys don’t know me or what I know and I appreciate the willingness to help. I’ll tell you one thing about me you can take to the bank. If I say a limit needs to be replaced, it’s because it mechanically or electrically does not work anymore. I know to and am capable of figuring out why.
    Sight unseen?,and you can tell a good part from a bad part? Not too bad!, Not too bad! If you found a burnt/corroded crimp connector ,would you be Tech enough and come out and say so?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Sight unseen?,and you can tell a good part from a bad part? Not too bad!, Not too bad! If you found a burnt/corroded crimp connector ,would you be Tech enough and come out and say so?
    Show me where I said it was sight unseen. If the crimp connector is burned it’s highly likely the spade it’s connected to took heat as well. Don’t tell me you’re not replacing that $10 part even if it still works, on an overhead unit that requires disassembly for access. Do you not automatically replace auto reset limits you know have been cycling?

Either way, I still have to disassemble the unit to get to it. What’s your point?

Post Likes
    If it were me, I’d start taking panels off until I could visualize the limit. Then I’d take the screw(s) off the limit and replace it. Then I’d figure out why the limit was tripping and fix that problem. Finally, I’d put the panels back on. It’s NOT going to fall off of the ceiling unless you take the bolts/nuts off of the hanger. Pretty simple stuff.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

4. Likes stumpdigger liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Show me where I said it was sight unseen.
    I am perfectly capable of changing a limit on something I haven’t seen before.

Plus, when you asked how to change it. You obviously have not seen the limit. Or you would know how to remove the panel, and change the limit.

Is it the auto reset limit, or the manual reset blocked vent switch that isn't closed.

Post Likes
    You cherry picked that sentence nicely. Are you just trying to be a dick like Techman?

The auto.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post

Too good to call tech support but can call us names!

Post Likes
    Honey vs Vinegar
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Hey guys I just wanted to throw my little two cents in. If the limit is on top of the heater nine times out of 10 it probably is a gravity-fed heater. That said it was installed on the basis that the building would be in a positive pressure. If the building is in a negative pressure the hot air will escape along with Co into the building ie. tripping the limit. Op you need to really dig into this and see why it's tripping. if the building is in a negative pressure at any given time that limit will trip. Whenever you get that unit to fire up put your hand by the top vent and if you feel heat coming out of it the building is likely in the negative pressure. Or the vent stack somewhere is clogged or the cap bent up so where the unit cannot breathe.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

11. Likes nantucket liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post

Too good to call tech support but can call us names!

Us? I didnÂ’t call you anything. And techman was dick. Right out of the chute. Are you gonna say he wasnÂ’t? It was a pretty simple question about a specific unit. Dieseldude is the only one who posted any kind of useful information pertaining to the question asked. VTP posted a diagram which was thoughtful. Which panel to take off first doesnÂ’t warrant a call to tech support. Everyone else just assumed I was changing a limit for the sake of changing a limit. Pardon me if that is frustrating. Flue gas is deadly? Wow. What an epiphany. Limits are there so the building doesnÂ’t burn down? Tell me more. Tell me more.

I asked a question about a specific unit to see if someone who has worked on it knew the fastest way to get to a hard to get to part because time is money. Time is money. That is preached here over and over, is it not? Then I state the specific reason I asked the question in the first place AND STILL I get “The limit is not the answer.” Then I try to tell you that I’m a capable tech and know how to troubleshoot a limit and I get treated like I think I’m some kind of ******* super tech.

I guess IÂ’ll take dieseldudes advice and take the panel nearest the gas valve off first.

Post Likes
    Us? I didnÂ’t call you anything. And techman was dick. Right out of the chute. Are you gonna say he wasnÂ’t? It was a pretty simple question about a specific unit. Dieseldude is the only one who posted any kind of useful information pertaining to the question asked. VTP posted a diagram which was thoughtful. Which panel to take off first doesnÂ’t warrant a call to tech support. Everyone else just assumed I was changing a limit for the sake of changing a limit. Pardon me if that is frustrating. Flue gas is deadly? Wow. What an epiphany. Limits are there so the building doesnÂ’t burn down? Tell me more. Tell me more.

I asked a question about a specific unit to see if someone who has worked on it knew the fastest way to get to a hard to get to part because time is money. Time is money. That is preached here over and over, is it not? Then I state the specific reason I asked the question in the first place AND STILL I get “The limit is not the answer.” Then I try to tell you that I’m a capable tech and know how to troubleshoot a limit and I get treated like I think I’m some kind of ******* super tech.

I guess IÂ’ll take dieseldudes advice and take the panel nearest the gas valve off first.
    Let it go and read my post. Guys here will give you a hard time. No biggie dont get caught up in it. Its what we do. Weeds out the homeowners.

14. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sorry for the crappy pic. Just trying to get an idea of the unit. Is this what the unit looks like from the side? No inducer motor correct?

16. Likes nantucket liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Apply for Pro Membership
    Problem Solved

18. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH, stumpdigger liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You’re right. I let my frustration get the beat of me.

20. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You’re right. I let my frustration get the beat of me.
    Wait till you been doing this for some years...

Guys here will tell you I've said sorry a few times myself.

Now. Heads back in the game hows the unit look???

Oh and its time you go pro

Post Likes

23. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes

25. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Yep gravity fed

Post Likes
    And please do not insult our Mods they work for free here 👌🏻

28. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yes except there is a two to three inch space between the top of the chamber where the limit is mounted and the top cover of the unit. There are no visible screws on the top cover so it looks like one or both of the side panels will have to come off to get the top cover off, maybe even the front. I’m trying to avoid taking stuff off that I don’t need to which was the point of my question. I can see the limit from the floor and had a six foot ladder and got up there and tapped on it. It worked for a few minutes and then went off again. Never reset again when it cooled down. Need a ten foot ladder to get all the way up there. The maintenance guy said he’s have one there for me when I get there Monday. Then I will check the flue as well as the burners, gas pressure, etc. Heat exchanger is clean on the outside as well as the fan. He says they blow them off every couple weeks.

30. Likes stumpdigger liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in