Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Carrier TruVu Processor....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    63
    Post Likes

    Carrier TruVu Processor....

    Folks,
    Any Carrier Truvu knowledge out there ? Just some ( perhaps obvious) questions .

    The new Truvu processor , is this device able to act as a router ? What is the intent of the Bacnet IP port ? Is it just third party Bacnet IP ? Reading the startup guide on it details the configuration of the IP address and describes the ivu front end discovery process where it can find it ? But i do not see where it can originate a new mstp bus. It does have one reference to an architure drawing showing the xt router with vavs beneath it on the mstp bus...

    The data i find on it does not give a clear features and functionality of the IP portion of it ?

    Any thoughts would be appreciated .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,543
    Post Likes
    From my knowledge of the ALC version of this product;

    They can act as router, if they are ordered that way. I don't know if the carrier version limits this ability, ALC version has both in different part numbers and prices.

    The non router version can use either the IP port or the MS/TP/ARCnet port to talk to the server. They won't be able to create a sub network though.


    Edit; after some future Gen5 firmware is released the non router versions will be able to create a BACnet sub network that is NOT routed to the rest of the system. Might be interesting to isolate things. Only programs running in that controller will be able to see that equipment. Current firmware this is not possible though.

    I was pretty involved in the beta testing of these on the ALC side.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,543
    Post Likes
    Carrier versions; TV-MPCXP and TV-MPCXP1628 are Routers.

    TV-MPCXP1628-NR is NOT a router, thus the -NR. Interestingly the web page mentions BACnet router but I REALLY think that's a typo as the ALC module with -NR is Not A Router.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    63
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter

    Carrier TV-MPCXP

    [QUOTE=MaxBurn;25988887]Carrier versions; TV-MPCXP and TV-MPCXP1628 are Routers.

    Ok , so lets look at two applications to confirm....

    1st is we can hang a TV-MPCXP off an ethernet configure it as a router... and wire up to 60 open controllers off it ?

    2nd is we have an existing Open XT-RB router with an existing mstp bus and in that scenario can we simply hang the TV-MPCXP on the existing bus and disable the router function ?

    Thank you again....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,543
    Post Likes
    Both should work. Second one might take a very long time downloading driver updates.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    602
    Post Likes
    I have installed all three versions of these, the Open-MPC & I/O's are getting phased out. Cant remember the EOL, but was announced when the TV-MPCXP was released in late 2019. The MPC1628's were released around April 2020 ......

    TV-MPCXP:
    Processor with Routing functions like a XT-LB but has no physical points. It has 2 serial ports just like a XT-LB for field devices and supports OPN-MPC I/O's & Tru-Vu I/O's for expansion.

    TV-MPC1628:
    Processor with Routing functions like a XT-LB, it has 28inputs & 16outputs. It has 2 serial ports just like a XT-LB for field devices and supports OPN-MPC I/O's & Tru-Vu I/O's for expansion.

    TV-MPC1628-NR:
    Processor with No Routing functions, it has 28inputs & 16outputs and connects to a arcnet/mstp but like any other controller. It supports OPN-MPC I/O's & Tru-Vu I/O's for expansion.
    It can also connect with by IP if needed, but I have not tested.

    They also support Rnet for sensors/displays, xnet for i/o's and actnet for valves, etc.

    TV-MPC1628-NR is cheaper as you are not getting the routing functions of a Link. If you combine a TV-MPC1628-NR with a XT-RB for the system, it is a little cheaper but not much. And a XT-RB wont hold control programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anytown USA
    Posts
    2,142
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Both should work. Second one might take a very long time downloading driver updates.
    If they could speed up downloads on all controllers, it would be absolutely amazing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,543
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    If they could speed up downloads on all controllers, it would be absolutely amazing.
    There is a beta starting next week regarding new firmware for this whole platform. I've found the betas are the time when we have the most influence and open line of communication to the developers and more people taking issue with this are welcome as far as I'm concerned.



    Does carrier not have a version of the TV-MPCXP without IO buss/IO expansion? ALC side has that for integrations like these VRF systems. That version of the ALC module just got Rnet added in, it didn't have it originally.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anytown USA
    Posts
    2,142
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    There is a beta starting next week regarding new firmware for this whole platform. I've found the betas are the time when we have the most influence and open line of communication to the developers and more people taking issue with this are welcome as far as I'm concerned.



    Does carrier not have a version of the TV-MPCXP without IO buss/IO expansion? ALC side has that for integrations like these VRF systems. That version of the ALC module just got Rnet added in, it didn't have it originally.
    I have not worked with any of these new controllers yet. It looks like they have a couple versions from what I see, some with built in IO, some without IO, and with and without integration capability.


    I hope they don't go away from the other line of controllers, like the UC, UCXP, I think those are solid devices, they just take forever to upload/ download. I also liked the newer VAV controller that you can use as either VAV or vvt depending on which program you load into it. I've done a few jobs with those that went very smooth.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    602
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Does carrier not have a version of the TV-MPCXP without IO buss/IO expansion? ALC side has that for integrations like these VRF systems. That version of the ALC module just got Rnet added in, it didn't have it originally.
    Carrier does not yet, all three TV-MPC devices currently available have the I/O bus for expansion. For third party vrf we have to integrate into a link to hold the integration programs. Carrier does have the Toshiba (Carrier branded) line of VRF they offer. Carrier gave us the the OPN-MTCC for these. It is in the metal Open Link type controller and not the newer XT-**.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    602
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    I hope they don't go away from the other line of controllers, like the UC, UCXP, I think those are solid devices, they just take forever to upload/ download. I also liked the newer VAV controller that you can use as either VAV or vvt depending on which program you load into it. I've done a few jobs with those that went very smooth.
    The Open line has been out for awhile and is due for update. The UC, APP & UCXP are great controllers, but they have limitations on how they can be used.

    The entire Open line will be going to TruVu over time. Including the VAV controller, which I hear will be a latter one to be implemented. Not sure the time frame on this.

    The first was the TruVu ET display, upgrade to the equipment touch in 3 sizes. I have not seen any information on a version for the system touch yet. Then they announced the EOL of the Open MPC late last year after the release of the first TruVu MPC controller.

    They recently announced the new i-Vu logo. This Friday they are announcing the release of v8.0, looking forward to see what improvements/changes they will be making.

    Name:  ivu_logo.png
Views: 40
Size:  6.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Amarillo by mornin'
    Posts
    1,046
    Post Likes
    Just to throw this out there, you can lock outputs in software on these modules and they will stay put during a program download-great for critical applications.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anytown USA
    Posts
    2,142
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
    The Open line has been out for awhile and is due for update. The UC, APP & UCXP are great controllers, but they have limitations on how they can be used.

    The entire Open line will be going to TruVu over time. Including the VAV controller, which I hear will be a latter one to be implemented. Not sure the time frame on this.

    The first was the TruVu ET display, upgrade to the equipment touch in 3 sizes. I have not seen any information on a version for the system touch yet. Then they announced the EOL of the Open MPC late last year after the release of the first TruVu MPC controller.

    They recently announced the new i-Vu logo. This Friday they are announcing the release of v8.0, looking forward to see what improvements/changes they will be making.

    Name:  ivu_logo.png
Views: 40
Size:  6.2 KB
    I saw there is a webinar on Friday, I'll be watching unless something comes up. I like the VAV controller, how you can separate the actuator from the controller. That's come in handy more than a few times. I haven't used the tru vu displays. I've been using Ivu Pro and putting it on a Microsoft Surface Tablet with a panel mount enclosure. It works well for a user interface. The Tru Vu displays are just so expensive, maybe one day they'll lower the cost.

    I'd like if they allowed us to use Lon and Modbus on the UPC. I keep hearing it's for future use, but it's been years.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    602
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    I'd like if they allowed us to use Lon and Modbus on the UPC.
    Never had a need to do Modbus with i-Vu. Modbus is only thru a link, controllers don't support it.

    I have never used one but the LON-OC option card is supposed to be supported on the UPC as it has the Lon option port. The product data sheet states "Fully compatible with Carrier Open controllers equipped with a Comm Option port".

    With i-Vu & Lon integration it usually been with multiple third party devices into i-Vu for us, we use a CCN/Open Link with a Echelon® SLTA-10 Serial LonTalk® Adapter on the S2 port.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anytown USA
    Posts
    2,142
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
    Never had a need to do Modbus with i-Vu. Modbus is only thru a link, controllers don't support it.

    I have never used one but the LON-OC option card is supposed to be supported on the UPC as it has the Lon option port. The product data sheet states "Fully compatible with Carrier Open controllers equipped with a Comm Option port".

    With i-Vu & Lon integration it usually been with multiple third party devices into i-Vu for us, we use a CCN/Open Link with a Echelon® SLTA-10 Serial LonTalk® Adapter on the S2 port.
    I ment to integrate carrier equipment into other brand controls. The UPC is half the cost of the Modbus/BACnet translator and the lon com card. Last time I asked , the UPC wasn't able to convert CCN to lon or Modbus, only BACnet. It shows on the front of the upc, that lon, n2 , Modbus, is for future use, but wasn't released the last time I looked into it. I think it's been a few years, I doubt they allow the Carrier side to use it. Maybe the ALC side has those capabilities on the device.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,543
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    Maybe the ALC side has those capabilities on the device.
    EQ-PRTL for ALC. modbus and lon*.


    *forget about it. They don't even bother posting the integration guide for it any more.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    VA/DC
    Posts
    404
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Balibe View Post
    I have installed all three versions of these, the Open-MPC & I/O's are getting phased out. Cant remember the EOL, but was announced when the TV-MPCXP was released in late 2019. The MPC1628's were released around April 2020 ......

    TV-MPCXP:
    Processor with Routing functions like a XT-LB but has no physical points. It has 2 serial ports just like a XT-LB for field devices and supports OPN-MPC I/O's & Tru-Vu I/O's for expansion.

    TV-MPC1628:
    Processor with Routing functions like a XT-LB, it has 28inputs & 16outputs. It has 2 serial ports just like a XT-LB for field devices and supports OPN-MPC I/O's & Tru-Vu I/O's for expansion.

    TV-MPC1628-NR:
    Processor with No Routing functions, it has 28inputs & 16outputs and connects to a arcnet/mstp but like any other controller. It supports OPN-MPC I/O's & Tru-Vu I/O's for expansion.
    It can also connect with by IP if needed, but I have not tested.

    They also support Rnet for sensors/displays, xnet for i/o's and actnet for valves, etc.

    TV-MPC1628-NR is cheaper as you are not getting the routing functions of a Link. If you combine a TV-MPC1628-NR with a XT-RB for the system, it is a little cheaper but not much. And a XT-RB wont hold control programs.


    The 1628 can not use the older xnet MPC expanders.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    VA/DC
    Posts
    404
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    I ment to integrate carrier equipment into other brand controls. The UPC is half the cost of the Modbus/BACnet translator and the lon com card. Last time I asked , the UPC wasn't able to convert CCN to lon or Modbus, only BACnet. It shows on the front of the upc, that lon, n2 , Modbus, is for future use, but wasn't released the last time I looked into it. I think it's been a few years, I doubt they allow the Carrier side to use it. Maybe the ALC side has those capabilities on the device.
    I just checked. per the most recent document from 2019 its still all future.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    VA/DC
    Posts
    404
    Post Likes
    [QUOTE=ccnman;25988947]
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Carrier versions; TV-MPCXP and TV-MPCXP1628 are Routers.

    Ok , so lets look at two applications to confirm....

    1st is we can hang a TV-MPCXP off an ethernet configure it as a router... and wire up to 60 open controllers off it ?

    2nd is we have an existing Open XT-RB router with an existing mstp bus and in that scenario can we simply hang the TV-MPCXP on the existing bus and disable the router function ?

    Thank you again....


    1st yes but its two comm loops 60 and 60 at 76,800 mtsp or port one can be arcnet 156 at 99 devices and 60 on the other.
    All bacnet speeds are available. It also has end of line termination.

    2 I haven't tried that, but I believe so. ill post the install manual shortly

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    VA/DC
    Posts
    404
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ccnman View Post
    Folks,
    Any Carrier Truvu knowledge out there ? Just some ( perhaps obvious) questions .

    The new Truvu processor , is this device able to act as a router ? What is the intent of the Bacnet IP port ? Is it just third party Bacnet IP ? Reading the startup guide on it details the configuration of the IP address and describes the ivu front end discovery process where it can find it ? But i do not see where it can originate a new mstp bus. It does have one reference to an architure drawing showing the xt router with vavs beneath it on the mstp bus...

    The data i find on it does not give a clear features and functionality of the IP portion of it ?

    Any thoughts would be appreciated .
    did you set up the bacnet ports? port 2 comes disabled. plug the ethernet cable (dchp) into the service port. 169.254.1.1 thats the set up page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •