Thread: New gas furnace install running on propane

Post Likes

New gas furnace install running on propane

I had a new gas furnace installed by hvac company runs on propane, however the propane conversion kit was never installed. It ran for 3 months intermittently shutting down when it got cold, called contracted several times came out installed new thermostat, same problem, showed contracted soot all over exterior house on vent, has yellow substance coming out of top of furnace inside, they finally opened the furnace and said the problem was no propane conversion kit was installed, they installed it let it run and it shut down many times finally they came out pulled house from inside furnace and nothing but pasty soot came out. Contracted said he would recommend they take entire furnace out and replace with new furnace have not heard from them in days, he said he did not make the final decision but did not think the owner would differ from his opinion. After I discovered this I did some research on my own all online so keep that in mind but what I discovered was the following when you run a gas furnace on propane without the propane conversion kit it has the wrong profane and consequently it burns at a much higher hotter rate that can result in explosion and or carbon monoxide poisoning of occupants in house. That sounded obviously a very potentially dangerous problem. My question here is simple I believe the contracted who said he would recommend the entire replace of the unit is the only way to go? Is that the general consensus of this community? My other question is should the duct work coming from the unit be replace as well, and should the duct work throughout the house be replaced and or cleaned. This was a newly constructed home and a newly installed furnace. Any confirmation and or suggestions are greatly appreciated. It seems to me that I was the only one who new there was a problem and continually pushed to get resolved what I did not know but was later discovered. Should I accept anything less than a new unit and cleaned ductwork or replaced ductwork if in fact that is what should be done.

Post Likes
    I would demand it be replaced!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Ductwork should be fine.
    But you should get a new furnace.
    I’d be on the phone hourly with their office. Until they make a decision
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    SHUT IT OFF

As Rider said get on the phone non stop until its replaced. If you have to stay in a hotel so be it!

5. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yikes. That's a huge mistake and the minimum would be a new heat exchanger but given that the installer would have to eat that cost it would be easier to just replace the furnace.

Post Likes
    We all know if a company is stupid enough to install a furnace without a propane conversion kit, they would also be stupid enough not to own or know how to use a manometer to verify proper inlet pressure and know how to adjust the proper outlet pressure.

What is the make of your furnace? Lennox, Carrier, Goodman?

Post Likes
    Thinking maybe the flue pipe may need to be cleaned on the insides also? Check chimney also, thinking that part is probably OK, but they can look at it while flue is out. Make sure to register new furnace as manufacturers warranty decreases if never registered. They should check your static pressures, temperature rise across HX, gas pressures, amprege draws of motor(s) etc. are within manufacturers specifications, it’s called a start up guide/commissioning report.

Post Likes
    New furnace. It will be impossible to completely clean the old one.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    If it is sooted its trash.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    We all know if a company is stupid enough to install a furnace without a propane conversion kit, they would also be stupid enough not to own or know how to use a manometer to verify proper inlet pressure and know how to adjust the proper outlet pressure.

What is the make of your furnace? Lennox, Carrier, Goodman?
    Maytag i q series

Post Likes
    Out of sheer EMBARASSSEMENT I would replace the new furnace.

Now then, whats actually wrong w/ the now old, now used, furnace? How many BTU were used, if, before/after the conversion kit change out was/not done?

13. Likes Bazooka Joey liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    If it is sooted its trash.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Why? As an Apprentice, the Techs brought me along,because I was the best heat exchange scrubber/cleaner/ guy you ever saw. Oil /gas(nat/LP).I couldn't tell you squat about anything about how the system worked or how to fix anything.

Post Likes
    New furnace and the exhaust piping needs to be removed and replaced.

They also need to pay for the removal of soot on the house.

The ductwork should not have soot in it.

I would however verify static pressures of the new ductwork to verify it was sized properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Anyone can make a mistake but that one is a biggie. I don't know if I would want to give them a second chance or not. If they missed an error that big how many small things did they miss also, or other big things for that matter.

Post Likes
    Thinking if furnace was never registered, some companies will clean it up and sell to a unsuspecting potential customer...as new or as a option,.. a good used..or offer to employees, it’s not like they are going to return to distributer for their mistake.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Thinking if furnace was never registered, some companies will clean it up and sell to a unsuspecting potential customer...as new or as a option,.. a good used..or offer to employees, its not like they are going to return to distributer for their mistake.
    So they are installing a new furnace and pic pipe to outdoors and as far as I know they ran it through the manufacturer, why would the manufacture cover it under warranty for there mistake?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter05 View Post
    So they are installing a new furnace and pic pipe to outdoors and as far as I know they ran it through the manufacturer, why would the manufacture cover it under warranty for there mistake?
    Good question, maybe they have been a long time customer of that brand and buy in volumes year in year out, or maybe they are not telling you the truth?

Its not like Contractors always make a decent profit on every single install, some jobs are three steps forward no steps backwards, ( yeah ) some are two steps forward one step backwards ( call backs during labor warranty period ) some are one step forward two step backwards ( many many call backs under labor warranty period ) thinking yours is no step forwards three steps backwards for the Contractor, lost money on your job. Not to mention a ding on their reputation. Lol