Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do when HVACR is slow?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I have not laid much tile, but what I did turned out real nice. Probably because I took my time doing it. Yeah, grouting is the worst part!
    Yeah. I don't mind grout. I enjoy tile work but I don't like doing it all the time. I am calling this practice for when I do mine.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    HVACR slow? When does it slow down?

Cooling in the summer, heating in the winter. When I gained knowledge and experience , I did cooling in the summer, heating in the winter, taught school, and recruited. Today, I've slowed down a bit, but I continue to teach and recruit.

It all depends on what you're willing to learn and do, because there's no reason to have a slow down in this trade, that is, unless you want it that way.

You are part of an essential trade. People, food, flowers, computers, even dead bodies rely on your services. Put that tile down and get back to work.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artrose View Post
    HVACR slow? When does it slow down?

Cooling in the summer, heating in the winter. When I gained knowledge and experience , I did cooling in the summer, heating in the winter, taught school, and recruited. Today, I've slowed down a bit, but I continue to teach and recruit.

It all depends on what you're willing to learn and do, because there's no reason to have a slow down in this trade, that is, unless you want it that way.

You are part of an essential trade. People, food, flowers, computers, even dead bodies rely on your services. Put that tile down and get back to work.
    So true but my company does not have any customers in refrigeration so with how mild Oklahoma's Winters are we have very little to do in the winter except for those rare years that we get a real hard winter.
    I am seriously thinking about as soon as I get my journeyman's license I'm going to work for one of the local refrigeration companies for a year or so to get a little more experience in that side before I go out on my own since that is more the market that I want to be in. We have one company that specializes in restaurant refrigeration and I don't know if they'd hire me but if they would they would be my top pick of companies to work for.

Post Likes
    Slow down
    2, 3, 4 hour days
    Work in the shop
    Paint
    Organize
    There’s a million things to do

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    So true but my company does not have any customers in refrigeration so with how mild Oklahoma's Winters are we have very little to do in the winter except for those rare years that we get a real hard winter.
    I am seriously thinking about as soon as I get my journeyman's license I'm going to work for one of the local refrigeration companies for a year or so to get a little more experience in that side before I go out on my own since that is more the market that I want to be in. We have one company that specializes in restaurant refrigeration and I don't know if they'd hire me but if they would they would be my top pick of companies to work for.

I say go for it!
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Just don't ever tell them you are thinking about striking out on your own.

Regarding you learning refrigeration, there is a lot more to it than doing A/C work. Best to learn refrigeration as early as you can. Then as you get older, mellow out and do more A/C stuff. One of the reasons is the odd hours work. But there are also other reasons.

If you want something to study up on for refrigeration, bone up on defrost systems. Their controls and sensors. They vary depending on manufacturer and temp of box. Gives you something to do when it's slow.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes

If you want to learn about refrigeration I highly recommend an online course that I followed taught by Dick Wirz. Not sure if it is still on but it was run by an online HVAC training company and paid for by one of our local utilities so I did not pay anything. Not sure how much it would be if you paid yourself.

I don't do refrigeration myself but the course was very useful in learning about refrigeration and the differences between that and HVAC.

Post Likes
    I think a big part of it is my boss doesn't really seem to like doing preventative maintenance so when he prices it he tries to actually make good profit and I think with preventative maintenance it is often more important to secure a lifelong customer that will hire you without question to do all of their change outs and other repairs and of course referring you to all their friends. I've noticed the customer that will hire you to do preventative maintenance is probably the customer you want referring you to their friends. The customer that wants the cheapest repair and no preventative maintenance likely has a bunch of cheapskate friends that you might not want to work for either. Another big part of it is my boss's far too kind. A few weeks ago I changed a gas valve and it was a smart valve so it was pretty expensive but he is letting the lady pay it out instead of making her get credit from a lending company or use a credit card. I'm just thinking man put some pressure on her and she'll find another hack to do the job or she'll figure out a way to get the money we don't need to be a lending company. But it's customers like that who (as she told me) if I showed up and the furnace was working at that moment she would refuse service so they really cut into our profit margins and make it hard to afford the best equipment and tools and end up keeping us at our current level of quality which isn't the worst because we care more than most hacks but I still feel like we're just hacks. Anyway I stay working for him because he pretty much lets me do things my way and he pays me often more than I actually work and he doesn't care if I do side jobs and run my own appliance company at the same time so above all he is one of my very best friends and without him I would not have made it in this state. I would have moved out of state and I might not have ended up marrying my wonderful wife because I don't think she would have followed me. Also he is the one that did the ceremony at my wedding. He sold me my first car for $300 which was the current scrap price at the time and then considered it paid off when I had mowed his lawn a couple times he never actually let me pay him a dime. On top of that he kept it on his insurance for the first year that I had the car because I couldn't afford insurance myself. So even though I disagree with a lot of his crazy ideas and I think the company could be a lot better if he would run things differently he is a great guy and a great friend, he just could be a better businessman.

Sounds like you found the only boss that is a keeper.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Sounds like you found the only boss that is a keeper.
    That's what I figure. He will retire as soon as his son or me get a license so we won't be able to keep him much longer.

Post Likes
    That's what I figure. He will retire as soon as his son or me get a license so we won't be able to keep him much longer.

Is he willing to sell you the business when he retires?

If you could get a good deal on it, that would give you a great start with some established accounts & customers. Rather than scratching it out from ground zero.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes

Where abouts are you in this sooner state? I live in a little town bout 30 miles south of Tulsa / broken arrow I work for a small place too with only myself and two other techs and 2 crews of 2 installers for new construction and change outs. I ha e some of the same thoughts as you do about where you work. They are very good to me and I’ve got a lot a lot of slack to kinda do things the way I want to do them. We have about 700 customers on our yearly maintenance plan and I’d guess there’s prolly 150 or more of them that specifically request me and if the office has enough calls to keep me from getting to them for a day or two, they will actually wait until I’m able to get there. There’s some things I think we should do differently but I am only able to see if from my vantage point as a tech and not from the owners side of things. One major thing I don’t really care for is our flare rate pricing

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurst11 View Post
    Where abouts are you in this sooner state? I live in a little town bout 30 miles south of Tulsa / broken arrow I work for a small place too with only myself and two other techs and 2 crews of 2 installers for new construction and change outs. I ha e some of the same thoughts as you do about where you work. They are very good to me and I’ve got a lot a lot of slack to kinda do things the way I want to do them. We have about 700 customers on our yearly maintenance plan and I’d guess there’s prolly 150 or more of them that specifically request me and if the office has enough calls to keep me from getting to them for a day or two, they will actually wait until I’m able to get there. There’s some things I think we should do differently but I am only able to see if from my vantage point as a tech and not from the owners side of things. One major thing I don’t really care for is our flare rate pricing
    I encountered flat rate today. My grandpa who lives about 2000 miles away had a furnace shutting down from low flame sense signal and he got charged a lot to clean the flame sensor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12