Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hvac maintenance must haves

Post Likes
    I find for the vast majority of condensers I run across aren’t really all that dirty that I need to use a coil cleaner on. I do have the cleaners and a sprayer and coil gun but most of the time get er just fine with good psi and water. Everybody comes up with their own method to the madness that works best for most things.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurst11 View Post
    I find for the vast majority of condensers I run across aren’t really all that dirty that I need to use a coil cleaner on. I do have the cleaners and a sprayer and coil gun but most of the time get er just fine with good psi and water. Everybody comes up with their own method to the madness that works best for most things.
    Same here. If I do use cleaner it is usually viper hd or some evap no rinse in a can. With that wand, a bullet nozzle and patience I can get most anything clean.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Like Corny said, safety first! Get a good 3M silicone comfort fit respirator and gloves!
    Don’t forget eye protection when needed.

All coil cleaners are caustic to your body! I refuse to use acid cleaners even if they’re for outdoor units. I don’t feel the need to kill my self with other heavy duty cleaners because someone can’t change their filters. They’ll pay for a new coil or coil removal. Not to mention insulation and mold/mildew. If you want respiratory and throat issues later in life, then by all means don’t use a respirator. I yell at my helper every time I see him messing with insulation without any mask. I supply gloves, safety glasses and cartridge type comfort fit respirators. Every company should! This is the least they can do especially if you have to buy your own tools. Ask your boss to supply the ppe necessary, and if they refuse, then find a good company to work for, because they don’t give 2 shits about you.

I’m sure they’ll be someone telling you they’ve eaten insulation and breathed toxic coil cleaners for years without a respirator. Yeah, good luck with that.

Your company should have a basic list of tools they expect you to have, and an inventoried list of tools that they supply.
    Last edited by mgenius33; 02-23-2021 at 11:38 AM.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    wal mart had a decent retractible but use care taking care of it, they are a bit fragile

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    had small problem with coil gun, have to wash out cleaner often

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcjr View Post
    wal mart had a decent retractible but use care taking care of it, they are a bit fragile
    I think the name is silver bullet and those are what I use. they are wonderful hoses you just have to drain the water and never ever pull them around a corner of a house you have to walk them around the corner not dragging them against the edge or it will wear out extremely fast. Also if they're laying in the sun for extended periods of time under pressure make sure to open the valve so that some water will flow to cool the hose or it will also fail quickly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I think the name is silver bullet and those are what I use. they are wonderful hoses you just have to drain the water and never ever pull them around a corner of a house you have to walk them around the corner not dragging them against the edge or it will wear out extremely fast. Also if they're laying in the sun for extended periods of time under pressure make sure to open the valve so that some water will flow to cool the hose or it will also fail quickly.

I use the Zero-G expandable hose. I think I got it from Lowe's. $25 for a 50 footer. Doesn't kink, and won't blow up either if it freezes with some water in there.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PKP543 View Post
    I use the Zero-G expandable hose. I think I got it from Lowe's. $25 for a 50 footer. Doesn't kink, and won't blow up either if it freezes with some water in there.
    I tried those but I didn't like how they didn't shrink to push all the water out like the ones I use do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12