+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nate certification's

Post Likes

nate certification's

what do yall think of nate and do yall think its worth it have heard some people say it is and others say its waste of time and money id like to here what some of yall think
    thank you for taking time to read this

2. Likes Jim1959 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

Post Likes
    Plenty of opinions are shared in many threads. Just do a search for NATE and your question will probably be answered.

Post Likes
    Depends on your state, jurisdiction, and even maybe your utility company.

Here in Utah NATE is required to apply for utility company rebates, company must show that a NATE certified technician installed the equipment.

Also here in Utah, other than the EPA608 and the local RMGA (gas piping) certification, anyone can work in the trade, thus many companies prefer to hire NATE certified technicians to weed out the wanna-be techs from those with a future in the trade.

6. Likes Zamoramax, Jim1959 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    I’m right behind you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Depends on your state, jurisdiction, and even maybe your utility company.

Here in Utah NATE is required to apply for utility company rebates, company must show that a NATE certified technician installed the equipment.

Also here in Utah, other than the EPA608 and the local RMGA (gas piping) certification, anyone can work in the trade, thus many companies prefer to hire NATE certified technicians to weed out the wanna-be techs from those with a future in the trade.
    I have to agree. Its varied by location. Here in CA its nothing more than a selling point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

9. Likes dieseldude, Jim1959, Gary Warren Jr liked this post.
    Post Likes
    it's a dog & pony show.
    N ot
    A
    T rue
    E xample
    Manufacturers require X# of employees to be certified for tier pricing.
    Have first had seen a tech with every nate cert available at the time do crap that was not right and when I asked him about it, just a shrug.
    Yes, I'm nate certified.
    If this bogus coordinated group could/would have some type of enforcement for doing stupid stuff, I might thing higher of them.
    But; there is no nate police, just dealer fear of higher pricing.
    Never had a client ask anything about nate, even though there are huge window stickers on back door window.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

11. Likes Zamoramax, cartershvac, Jim1959, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you learn something or a lot of somethings then it is well worth it.

13. Likes Zamoramax, cartershvac, Honfor450, Jim1959 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    A little worse then Section 608!

15. Likes cartershvac, Jim1959, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    A little worse then Section 608!
    “Whatchu talkin’ ‘bout Willis?”

Post Likes
    I got all of them... until they added 2 new ones.
    I thought it was moderately challenging... the Senior Systems Efficiency Analyst cert was a bear.. I was 2 years and change in the trade when I got most of them, around 4 when I got the senior cert. It helped keep me employed through the great recession years of 2008 through 11 or so, as companies went belly up all over the place and underneath my feet. I never been unemployed unless I wanted be (Gotta take a vacation now and again, amd I right or am I right? Hehe)
    It will NEVER hurt, but it helps most in non-union residential markets predominantly. There are large exceptions to that, like areas with energy rebates tied to it as was mentioned.
    I like it. I would reccomend it. But results do vary based on the local industry landscape.
    I have a thread on taking the test in the laws and certifications section. Maybe it would help you out a little. It is not new but it has good tips
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

18. Likes Jim1959, YOUNG FROSTY liked this post.
    Post Likes
    When I was at a residential company they paid extra $ to be NATE certified, because Bryant required 50% of techs certified for some program, once I moved to commercial I let it expire and no one at my company has NATE. The study guides were good and itÂ’s never bad to continue education.

20. Likes Jim1959, slctech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I am in the same boat as evan37f, I let mine expire as soon as I left the residential and light commercial arena. In my area, there was no demand for NATE in the larger commercial and industrial markets, they felt you have already proven yourself competent as to hire in at those levels. A year ago, for no reason, I went and just retook a bunch of tests for, again for no reason? Dunno why...hmmm

Maybe gentlemen such as "numbawunfela" and myself just enjoy the challenge and personal gratification that comes from having these certifications? hmmm

I personally desire to go further and achieve certain RSES classifications, I have enjoyed my membership (got my 20 year recognition) with the RSES and wish to get my CM and even CMS classifications...why? Dunno, no different than NATE, may not be required, but just want to for personal reasons. I would do it but there is not a proctor within 500 miles of me....the day will come though, retired or not...LOL

Some guys may say that going for NATE or an RSES certification is just a waste of money or time if you are not required, other feel they are just money making outfits, and they may be right and they may be wrong, what we all choose personally to test ourselves and force ourselves to become better in an industry without being told to do so is our own prerogative.

Kind of think it as a sick OCD I have, why the hell am I even typing in this thread right now? Why do I care to participate? Why have I decided to take time out of my life to become a member of this community??? I get nothing out of it, no certificate, wife thinks I am totally nuts talking HVAC all the time with my "nerdy" on-line friends...so what is it? I just think most of us have acquired a sick passion for this industry, and that sickness can lead us to want to live and breathe and constantly learn and share and commune with others also afflicted with the same mental disorder. There are some sickos that found personal gratification out there by torturing themselves with a crack of a whip across their naked butt by some crazy leather bound b!tch, others like myself find that same sick gratification by torturing ourselves by taking NATE tests, dreaming of taking RSES tests, teaching school part time at the Vocational College at nights, and spending endless hours here on this site, volunteering our services.....all for no life awarding reason other than we need to...like talking to my mashed potatos right now as I stack them on my plate "this means something?!".

22. Likes Zamoramax, kdean1, Jim1959 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I am in the same boat as evan37f, I let mine expire as soon as I left the residential and light commercial arena. In my area, there was no demand for NATE in the larger commercial and industrial markets, they felt you have already proven yourself competent as to hire in at those levels. A year ago, for no reason, I went and just retook a bunch of tests for, again for no reason? Dunno why...hmmm

Maybe gentlemen such as "numbawunfela" and myself just enjoy the challenge and personal gratification that comes from having these certifications? hmmm

I personally desire to go further and achieve certain RSES classifications, I have enjoyed my membership (got my 20 year recognition) with the RSES and wish to get my CM and even CMS classifications...why? Dunno, no different than NATE, may not be required, but just want to for personal reasons. I would do it but there is not a proctor within 500 miles of me....the day will come though, retired or not...LOL

Some guys may say that going for NATE or an RSES certification is just a waste of money or time if you are not required, other feel they are just money making outfits, and they may be right and they may be wrong, what we all choose personally to test ourselves and force ourselves to become better in an industry without being told to do so is our own prerogative.

Kind of think it as a sick OCD I have, why the hell am I even typing in this thread right now? Why do I care to participate? Why have I decided to take time out of my life to become a member of this community??? I get nothing out of it, no certificate, wife thinks I am totally nuts talking HVAC all the time with my "nerdy" on-line friends...so what is it? I just think most of us have acquired a sick passion for this industry, and that sickness can lead us to want to live and breathe and constantly learn and share and commune with others also afflicted with the same mental disorder. There are some sickos that found personal gratification out there by torturing themselves with a crack of a whip across their naked butt by some crazy leather bound b!tch, others like myself find that same sick gratification by torturing ourselves by taking NATE tests, dreaming of taking RSES tests, teaching school part time at the Vocational College at nights, and spending endless hours here on this site, volunteering our services.....all for no life awarding reason other than we need to...like talking to my mashed potatos right now as I stack them on my plate "this means something?!".
    My wife says the same thing. She calls Htalk my facebook... as for the education, I crave it. By no means am I one of the smart guys here. Probably lacking on the knowledge end. But I want it. Where I am you are taught to install things as a duct monkey. No intelligence needed. If it doesn't work call the service guy.. I wanted/want to know the ins and outs of everything I touch. I am supposed to be the professional that knows what they are working with and how it works so I can fix it if a problem occurs. Most of my knowledge has been self taught. Read some books, read the install manuals, watch recorded classes for free, Htalk, ect ect.
    Most guys in the field round here couldn't diagnose a blown fuse, they just sell a new system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

24. Likes slctech, Jim1959 liked this post.
    Post Likes

CM and CMS actually mean something, at least to those who understand the knowledge necessary for them. NATE is a rubber stamp. BPI and RESNET are a little better but from what I’ve read about them the public knows nothing about them. As with all certifications, if the tech isn’t motivated to apply what he’s learned he’ll cut corners to finish and go home. Unfortunately, even what passes as inspections doesn’t ensure good work.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

26. Likes Gary Warren Jr, Jim1959 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Our Union agreement pays more for a journeyman tech if they are Nate cert. One Nate gets another buck and 2 certs gets another.
    I don't know if they are useful but most anything to keep the ol' wheelhouse running can't hurt.
    Way too many people in our field have not read a book since HS. Mostly learn enough to just get by. I tried teaching classes a few years back. What a frustration. I did learn that people can be motivated to learn. What's a bit harder to find is self motivation.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

28. Likes Jim1959 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    For my money, the NCI classes are well worth it. The public may not know what they are but they actually have realistic and valuable content.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

30. Likes Jim1959 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I did NCI as well. I also liked them.
    Of course, NATE is a test, and NCI is a class... so not really apples to apples.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

32. Likes Jim1959 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I am for any kind of education/knowledge that makes me smarter and more valuable to myself and to this fabulous Profession. And I have 250 or so Classes, Seminars ,Schools to prove it, and I want even more mental power, lol.

34. Likes Jim1959 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    I did NCI as well. I also liked them.
    Of course, NATE is a test, and NCI is a class... so not really apples to apples.
    I can get shoulder patches for NCI certs, but customers only know that I can get the job done.

36. Likes Jim1959 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in