+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best concentric flaring tool?

Post Likes

Best concentric flaring tool?

What is the best one for the money out now? Was looking at the YJ 60241 but it’s pretty expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes

I think you mean eccentric...

Anyway I’ve got that one you mentioned and it’s really nice. I also use the spin flare a lot and love em. I also use the yj 60278 and it makes absolutely beautiful flares.

In my opinion any one of those 3 is fully capable of making a leak free mini split flare. Look into spin flare if you haven’t. There are some real advantages to flaring that way.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I use yellow jacket 60440 with some off-brand reverse flare adapters. It's definitely not an eccentric flare tool but I love it. It also does amazing swages although it is quite slow compared to the hillmore hydraulic.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    I think you mean eccentric...

Anyway I’ve got that one you mentioned and it’s really nice. I also use the spin flare a lot and love em. I also use the yj 60278 and it makes absolutely beautiful flares.

In my opinion any one of those 3 is fully capable of making a leak free mini split flare. Look into spin flare if you haven’t. There are some real advantages to flaring that way.

Yes I meant eccentric. LOL at least with a title like that the post will get a lot of attention.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 270wsm View Post
    Yes I meant eccentric. LOL at least with a title like that the post will get a lot of attention.

True

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    I also like using the Yellow Jacket 60278. Even after many years of doing work that didn't necessitate the use of a flaring tool I was still able to get really nice, leak free connections consistently right from the first try.

Post Likes
    I use a Ridgid model that has a ratchet head that automatically stops turning when proper tension has been used to form the flare. I don’t know what the model number is off hand, I would have to look it up. It works really well though.
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    I just picked up the Hilmor orbital flare tool. Seems pretty nice, light years advanced from my last flare block. I have the Spin Flare kit as well but the flares are always slightly crooked.
    Is the orbital cone what you mean by eccentric? This also has a tubing length stop, and built in clutch to stop when it’s done.
    Anyone have experience with the Hilmor?
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    I just picked up the Hilmor orbital flare tool. Seems pretty nice, light years advanced from my last flare block. I have the Spin Flare kit as well but the flares are always slightly crooked.
    Is the orbital cone what you mean by eccentric? This also has a tubing length stop, and built in clutch to stop when it’s done.
    Anyone have experience with the Hilmor?
    We had one and it was really nice until we loaned it out and the clamp screw got lost.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I use a Ridgid model that has a ratchet head that automatically stops turning when proper tension has been used to form the flare. I don’t know what the model number is off hand, I would have to look it up. It works really well though.
    This is the ridgid one I was talking about. I’ve been happy with it, don’t use it much but works well when I do. I previously had the non ratcheting one and prefer that over the ratcheting one. Reviews say the rather can break easy and it’s a pain to get warranty to cover the ratchet. Plus I just don’t find the ratchet to be useful. Actually less useful, kinda gets in the way. One more thing to switch when you want to change directions. I’ve only ever used cheep flare blocks as a comparison so maybe there are others out there and I simply don’t know what I’m missing, but this does spin a nice flare.

https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/T...HET/p/RDG83037

Post Likes
    The Navac battery flaring tools are fantastic.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Just used my new Hilmor orbital flare tool with clutch. Worked perfectly! I never made such nice flares. Hands down better than the Spinflare. I still like the Spinswage bits though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Just used my new Hilmor orbital flare tool with clutch. Worked perfectly! I never made such nice flares. Hands down better than the Spinflare. I still like the Spinswage bits though.
    I think that one is similar to the yj which I have and do like, but the spin flares are pretty good as well. Why didn’t you like the spin flare?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    I think that one is similar to the yj which I have and do like, but the spin flares are pretty good as well. Why didn’t you like the spin flare?
    The Spin swage works great, but the spin flare always left me with a flare offset to one side. The flare itself was still good and usable it just looked odd.

Post Likes
    I like the Ridgid one

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRCON8 View Post
    I like the Ridgid one
    I actually preferred the one without a ratchet top. Without knowing better I trained it for one with a ratchet top. Not a big deal, but the ratchet added more inconvenience than it did convenience or speed. Reviews also say that the ratchet can break fairly easily. Hasn’t happened to me, but for those who are considering this flare tool, I highly recommend it, just save some cash and get the non ratchet model

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in