+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feeling dizzy?

Post Likes

Feeling dizzy?

You never know what you’ll first see when you open the door to a mechanical room and turn the lights on. I instantly started turning off gas valves and got questioned as to why I was doing that.... “Nobody else has pointed out there being a problem with it”
    Name:  IMG_3307.jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  2.20 MB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I found this on Friday. Looked at the guy and said that it had to be fixed. “Yeah it’s been getting worse throughout the years.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I don't have pictures but I saw one where the 80% furnace was common vented with a natural draft water heater and the vent cap got squished in such a way that you couldn't tell from the ground, everything looked normal but it was completely closed so all of the furnace and water heater exhaust were coming out the top of the hot water heater the amazing thing is the co reading with the furnace running was zero. They always wondered why the hot water heater pilot kept going out.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I just want to meet someone who said "Oh yeah, thats ok. I get some more foil tape.".

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpingram55 View Post
    I just want to meet someone who said "Oh yeah, thats ok. I get some more foil tape.".
    I don't.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpingram55 View Post
    There’s a lot of them in my area. Worst part is that one of our “major” companies in this small town has been doing their work for years.. of course it’s the same scenario on the first floor, and now I will be replacing all of those vent pipes also.

Long story short a one man show like myself just gained a 60 ton church because I pointed out the obvious and was honest about their problems and how serious it was. It might have been wrong for me to tell the preacher that the price of double wall vent pipe is how some people get the bid.. I know I’m not wrong but it’s just sad they would leave things that way In the lords living room.
    Name:  IMG_3478.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  2.86 MB

7. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Not trying to be rude, but your fix doesn't give me the warm fuzzies either. As cheap as all new pipe would be why not just do it right with some new 4" single wall branch pipe up and out of those twinned bad boys, build a new properly sized B-Vent trunk line with some B-Vent "T"s and B-Vent it over to the main stack? And if you were to lower the two branch pipes coming out of those twinned gargantuans, you would be able to get a steeper slope towards the stack assisting with draft. In my jurisdiction the way you have the two branch pipes attached to the main trunk pipe is against code, can not cut into a pipe and stub/butt in a pipe to another, requires some form of mechanical connection, whether manufactured means to attach and lock two pipes, or for single wall crimping, feeding, and screwing.

Just teaching, and pointing out ways to improve and better your image since you are a eager growing one-man-show.

At least the flue gases are not leaking into the space, now.

9. Likes Lahrs, UltraCool, Unlimited1, VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Not trying to be rude, but your fix doesn't give me the warm fuzzies either. As cheap as all new pipe would be why not just do it right with some new 4" single wall branch pipe up and out of those twinned bad boys, build a new properly sized B-Vent trunk line with some B-Vent "T"s and B-Vent it over to the main stack? And if you were to lower the two branch pipes coming out of those twinned gargantuans, you would be able to get a steeper slope towards the stack assisting with draft. In my jurisdiction the way you have the two branch pipes attached to the main trunk pipe is against code, can not cut into a pipe and stub/butt in a pipe to another, requires some form of mechanical connection, whether manufactured means to attach and lock two pipes, or for single wall crimping, feeding, and screwing.

Just teaching, and pointing out ways to improve and better your image since you are a eager growing one-man-show.

Yeah that fix wouldn't fly here either in fact if I walked in and saw it I'd be required to shut the system down on the spot. I don't care if it's a church they can pay the money to bring it up to code and get it running safely just like everyone else.

11. Likes R600a, Unlimited1 liked this post.
    Post Likes

I didn’t do that. The second picture is the first floors unit, I was stating that nobody has pointed the issues out over the years of service work.. I would never do some BS like that

13. Likes R600a, VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Here’s my repair before getting another support strap by the furnaces. I still have to go back and replace all the vents on the other system that wasn’t brokenName:  IMG_3480.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  2.45 MB

15. Likes comfortdoc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UrAverageAguy View Post
    I didn’t do that. The second picture is the first floors unit, I was stating that nobody has pointed the issues out over the years of service work.. I would never do some BS like that

You did not make that clear in your second photo. I can now see the slight differences between the two photos, it appeared like before and after pictures, to me. I have worked on numerous twinned systems, but those photos prove the existence of twin twinned systems!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UrAverageAguy View Post
    Here’s my repair before getting another support strap by the furnaces. I still have to go back and replace all the vents on the other system that wasn’t brokenName:  IMG_3480.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  2.45 MB

Awwwww, that just brought a tear of happiness to my eye! Good job!

Post Likes
    Will ask that you go back and fix that old octagon electrical gang box...lol. Not sure they even make a cover plate for those things anymore. And don’t forget your coffee.

Post Likes
    Will ask that you go back and fix that old octagon electrical gang box...lol. Not sure they even make a cover plate for those things anymore. And don’t forget your coffee.
    Yeah I’m going to fix the box and put a proper P trap on that drain. I’m not a fan of using 90s. All the dried up crap don’t ever get pushed through those 90s like people expect.

20. Likes R600a liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in