+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Space Heaters do you Like

Post Likes

Which Space Heaters do you Like

Okay, Which Electric, portable space heaters do you like?

I know the answer is none, and I know they are all horribly inefficient junk, but which ones do you like?

Which ones do you feel work the best or are the safest, light weight, or provide the most even heat, or heat up the quickest, best for the dollar etc.

Also, which should I buy a half dozen of to lend out to customers (i.e. say I am working on a furnace and cannot get a board until morning). Which are good, safe, and inexpensive that would be reasonable to lend out to a customer to hold them over until morning?

Thanks

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    They are all 100% efficient.
    I liked the oil filled radiator type best when i had to use them. The radiator was the most comfortable and safest. I could put towels over it to dry without it getting hot enough to worry about. Also strangely my power bill was lower with the radiator than with the forced air style even though they were equal wattage. I think I was able to be comfortable with the radiator on a lower setting for some reason.

That brings back memories of a very cold winter.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

3. Likes NETWizz, Sparky63 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    They are all 100% efficient.
    I liked the oil filled radiator type best when i had to use them. The radiator was the most comfortable and safest. I could put towels over it to dry without it getting hot enough to worry about. Also strangely my power bill was lower with the radiator than with the forced air style even though they were equal wattage. I think I was able to be comfortable with the radiator on a lower setting for some reason.

That brings back memories of a very cold winter.

Okay. Now what about for leaving with a customer? The radiator ones are heavier and more expensive than other cheaper units that use the same amount of power.

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NETWizz View Post
    Okay. Now what about for leaving with a customer? The radiator ones are heavier and more expensive than other cheaper units that use the same amount of power.
    I have heard liability mentioned with reference to this in the past.

Someone said if you loan them a heater and the wiring it is plugged into burns the house down you could be somehow liable.
    I don't know if I buy that story but I am just passing it on.
    I personally feel that the radiator is way safer because some of the other kinds can become a fire hazard if some flammable material gets poked through one of the grills somehow.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

6. Likes NETWizz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    In oklahoma i say be warm and well fed and I will see you when I get the parts in. It is rarely cold enough here to really worry and everyone should have some backup heat so if they have to buy something that doesn't bother me.

8. Likes NETWizz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I spent a winter in a 1960s single wide mobile home and i used one 1500 watt heater in the bedroom for heat. Talk about cold. I don't know how the pipes didn't freeze but I always wondered if there was heat tape on them because my power bill was so high. I was a helper to a tile setter that winter and we had 3 of 3 frost less faucets freeze on one job. Mixing thin set was interesting. We had to heat the water before using it. I also discovered that painters tape doesn't like the cold either. I am going to turn the furnace up to 79. I am shivering thinking about it.

10. Likes NETWizz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I spent a winter in a 1960s single wide mobile home and i used one 1500 watt heater in the bedroom for heat. Talk about cold. I don't know how the pipes didn't freeze but I always wondered if there was heat tape on them because my power bill was so high. I was a helper to a tile setter that winter and we had 3 of 3 frost less faucets freeze on one job. Mixing thin set was interesting. We had to heat the water before using it. I also discovered that painters tape doesn't like the cold either. I am going to turn the furnace up to 79. I am shivering thinking about it.

What a jerk. I was perfectly fine, fed, happy, and warm then you came along. Now I am shivering cold just reading that. *turns own furnace up*

12. Likes R600a, Sparky63 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    In oklahoma i say be warm and well fed and I will see you when I get the parts in. It is rarely cold enough here to really worry and everyone should have some backup heat so if they have to buy something that doesn't bother me.

"Bake some cookies, It'll keep you warm till I get there" I use that phrase because it works, and I happen to like cookies.

14. Likes dieseldude, R600a, Cagey57, NETWizz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    "Bake some cookies, It'll keep you warm till I get there" I use that phrase because it works, and I happen to like cookies.

I always told them it was a good time to cook a turkey also. I did leave them at times but had them sign about the dangers etc. Unsure how much protection that afford but probably better than nothing.

16. Likes NETWizz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Okay, Which Electric, portable space heaters do you like?

I know the answer is none, and I know they are all horribly inefficient junk, but which ones do you like?

Which ones do you feel work the best or are the safest, light weight, or provide the most even heat, or heat up the quickest, best for the dollar etc.

Also, which should I buy a half dozen of to lend out to customers (i.e. say I am working on a furnace and cannot get a board until morning). Which are good, safe, and inexpensive that would be reasonable to lend out to a customer to hold them over until morning?

Thanks
    I carry what I call "milk house" heaters. Light with its own fan. 20 or so at Walmart.

They have a tip guard so if they tip over they shut off.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

18. Likes R600a, NETWizz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    They are like 15$ at a box store. My feeling is they can run and get two and then that way they always have them if they ever need them. I have 2 sitting in my attic just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Likes NETWizz, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    They are like 15$ at a box store. My feeling is they can run and get two and then that way they always have them if they ever need them. I have 2 sitting in my attic just in case.

We have been loaning non-oscillating ceramic heaters. We have 4 of them. They are small, light, and shutdown if tipped. They have a fan and honestly are no better than any other 1500 watt unit.

We basically lend one per floor is typical and one per bedroom, but it all depends on circuit. A lot of kids’ bedrooms share a circuit, so only one heater is usable per two bedrooms normally. Often we suggest leaving a door open and if it is too cold having a kid sleep in the living room. It is usually large rooms like the master bedroom and living room that really need a heater. We are less concerned with rooms away from the water source. It is common for the pipes to run through one wall on one side of a house... All things being equal space heaters in or near those rooms on that wall are more critical.

Post Likes
    We have been loaning non-oscillating ceramic heaters. We have 4 of them. They are small, light, and shutdown if tipped. They have a fan and honestly are no better than any other 1500 watt unit.

We basically lend one per floor is typical and one per bedroom, but it all depends on circuit. A lot of kids’ bedrooms share a circuit, so only one heater is usable per two bedrooms normally. Often we suggest leaving a door open and if it is too cold having a kid sleep in the living room. It is usually large rooms like the master bedroom and living room that really need a heater. We are less concerned with rooms away from the water source. It is common for the pipes to run through one wall on one side of a house... All things being equal space heaters in or near those rooms on that wall are more critical.
    If I’m that concerned about water freezing pipes I’ll either a tell them to drip the faucet or b I’m calling every part house in town to get something to get them running.

We lost power about a month ago and it was mid 30’s out. Power was off 14 hours. House dropped from 68 to 67 in a 14 hour period at 35*.

Now Saturday it will be 12* but it’s still going to take a length of time to get freezing pipe temps inside the house. And again, they can run to HD or Lowe’s or ace.

23. Likes NETWizz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I used a small electric furnace with a Range cord on it. only used it a couple of times for emergency heat however it was nice for working on new construction in cold weather before gas service was available.

Post Likes
    Ceramic or oil filled. Nothing with red hot elements or anything hot enough to catch a paper towel on fire.

26. Likes NETWizz liked this post.
    Hurst11 is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    Well if they have an electric oven,turn the thing on and open the door,problem solved. If they have gas stove then same thing but crack a window or two that way some fresh air gets in. I agree here in Oklahoma it don’t get cold enough and stay for there to be much need to keep something for people to use.

Post Likes
    Ceramic

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in