Thread: Vaccine cold chain

Post Likes

Vaccine cold chain

Any one involved with the vaccines?
    -70 C looks like a tough target to someone used to -12f supermarket ice cream and still has nightmares from those -40f "Dippin Dots " boxes they used to scatter around amusement parks.

2. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I hope someone answers, I think it will be pretty interesting how they will do this, this has got to be one of the first questions they (the vaccine makers and government) answer. I heard special freezer trucks driven around the country, I wonder where they will get the trucks from?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    I hope someone answers, I think it will be pretty interesting how they will do this, this has got to be one of the first questions they (the vaccine makers and government) answer. I heard special freezer trucks driven around the country, I wonder where they will get the trucks from?
    My brother is an owner operator and runs a reefer trailer. He's looking into this right now. He hauls quite a bit of pharmaceuticals because it pays extremely well.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    N2
    CO2
    Even Dry Ice

The equipment is already out there.

Post Likes
    I work at a hospital. They just bought 3 extra ultra lows which go to -70 c. We probably already have 30 of them already for different reasons

Post Likes
    I'm thinking large storage box, you can pack in dry ice to give you a couple degrees TD, but liquid co2 wont go that low.
    Are fan coil units used at those ultra low temps? Would something like a Munters Ice Dry help with coil frost build up?

Post Likes
    I know zero about stuff that cold but from my reading here wouldn’t it require a cascade system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    I know zero about stuff that cold but from my reading here wouldn’t it require a cascade system?

Yes that's what I was thinking as well.

Post Likes
    -80 is pushing single stage units.
    Cascade can hit -160 I believe

Post Likes
    All of ours are cascade systems with no fans

Post Likes
    All the -80s I’ve worked on have been cascade with static coils. Also worked on a -160 that was autocascade with one scroll compressor and a crazy blend of secret freezy juice.

Post Likes
    Was wondering about the refer trailers as well. We have a few ULT (-80C) freezers at work. Cascade system with no evap fans. Special blend of refrigerants.

Maybe use ULT freezer skids in trailers? Liquid nitrogen?

Post Likes
    I also work in a hospital we have -70C freezers in the lab, and OR.

Post Likes
    We had -80 c cabinets. piped to a flask of liquid nitrogen , if temp rose a solenoid valve opened and a controlled amount of liquid injected kept the temp down . There are a lot of manufactures out there USA and imports of Ultra Low Temp , will be a massive boost in sales

Post Likes
    There’s a lot more Cascade System, than you would think. Also there are ultra cold shipping containers, Cascade Shipping Containers. Probably most of the vaccines will be shipped by Air, at high altitudes the air is very Cold, and they can bypass the Cargo hold heat. I’m sure other Medical Supplies are already being shipped via ultra-low temperatures. At my a state gov. job there were Four Upright Cascade Refrigerators, the Size of a large home upright. One of my Doctors even has a Cascade Chest Style Unit. It’s in his Ultrasound Mini Surgery Suite.
    Retired, after 43 Years

Post Likes
    There are already a couple companies making small portable -80C freezers that look like a portable cooler. It was on the news the other day.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Changed some compressors on a few ultalows back in the day. The tech has been around for a while in Pharma.