+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anybody Remember

Post Likes

Anybody Remember

On this site (I think, defiantly maybe) I saw a touch method for troubleshooting cap tub sealed systems, I believe icemeister may have produced and explained it.

It was a great troubleshooting method especially for folk that don’t service them everyday.

Post Likes
    if you pull charge , weigh it back in , and only half of the condenser feels hot , its waxed

OR if you suspect a leak (make sure evap isnt iced up) and top off the charge to test , and only half the cond is hot , its waxed

The condenser should be a nice steady change of temp from top to bottom , and the drier slightly warm

If I pull a charge , I dont even play games with them anymore , the first thing I do is cut the tube off the drier and look inside the cap

If the cap is clear , you can bet the Evap leaks

Post Likes
    Probably referring to feeling the condenser coil.
    I'm not sure exactly what was posted but, the very top will be the hottest as it loses its discharge superheat here.

The middle or basically 90% of the coil will be the same temp. Its at saturated condensing temp.
    The very bottom or outlet will be slightly cooler.
    Thats on a properly working system.

However, this method is becoming more and more challenging to properly use. Most new crap tube systems are so small and so efficient that they dont make much heat to begin with.
    I had a 1 year old true work table freezer that I swore had to have a refrigeration issue. Entire condenser was cool.
    I was so tempted to tap on and get readings but I didnt.
    Followed up the next day (repair was a bad evap fan motor), and it was down to temp and all was ok.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    if you pull charge , weigh it back in , and only half of the condenser feels hot , its waxed

OR if you suspect a leak (make sure evap isnt iced up) and top off the charge to test , and only half the cond is hot , its waxed

The condenser should be a nice steady change of temp from top to bottom , and the drier slightly warm

If I pull a charge , I dont even play games with them anymore , the first thing I do is cut the tube off the drier and look inside the cap

If the cap is clear , you can bet the Evap leaks

That is good advice, that is the first time I’ve heard half cond warm it’s waxed, make sense since it would be restricted and increasing subcooling.

Post Likes
    UmmScott

That sounded a lot like it best I remember it had pics of basic system drawn with Hot, Warm, Cool, and Cold with an explanation of several problems and what you would expect to see, a lot like you just said.

I bet in our lifetime almost all cap tube Refigeration will be HC refrigerant. I generally do what Snapperhead said and remove the charge and weigh it back in then see how it runs.

I’m trying to get it as a cheat sheet for some of my younger techs.

6. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    by the time those techs get out everything will be propane , so no more waxing , only leaky joints

8. Likes steve wright, UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by steve wright View Post
    On this site (I think, defiantly maybe) I saw a touch method for troubleshooting cap tub sealed systems, I believe icemeister may have produced and explained it.

It was a great troubleshooting method especially for folk that don’t service them everyday.
    I started a thread some time ago about how to diagnose a cap tube system with what I call the Touchy Feely method, using only your sense of touch...ie, no tools.

https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...-or-Low-Charge

It was a summary of my experiences dealing with small cap tube systems which at first glance appear to be low on charge, but could also be a partial cap tube blockage with a few quick hand temperature checks.

The intent of the thread was to present a simple way to quickly and simply to answer the question of is it low charge or a plugged cap tube, for example when when you have a system with no service access valves.

The discussion quickly ran off topic however.

10. Likes VTP99, Juan Madera liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Name:  043AEFF7-B8A5-4E74-BA39-AD029BA418F9.jpeg
Views: 455
Size:  3.19 MB

I have this one from 40 years ago.

12. Likes VTP99, Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    icemeister that was the link, and greg58 that was a good pic of what I needed.

This getting old and forgetful is not for sissies.

Thanks to all for the information, is this a great site or what?

Post Likes
    I too have been of the "touchy feely" type and find that without gauges and tools, just observation and feel gets you pretty well into a diagnosis. I use the feely method on a lot of small condensers, cap tube or not...

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I started a thread some time ago about how to diagnose a cap tube system with what I call the Touchy Feely method, using only your sense of touch...ie, no tools.

https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...-or-Low-Charge

It was a summary of my experiences dealing with small cap tube systems which at first glance appear to be low on charge, but could also be a partial cap tube blockage with a few quick hand temperature checks.

The intent of the thread was to present a simple way to quickly and simply to answer the question of is it low charge or a plugged cap tube, for example when when you have a system with no service access valves.

The discussion quickly ran off topic however.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in