Thread: Got a little winged surprise today

Post Likes

Got a little winged surprise today

Went to the summer home this morning to turn on the heat. Heat went out last winter and we got the plumbing repaired late summer. Fortunately we shut the water off every time we leave but there was residual water that burst a couple of PEX fittings and a braided supply line under the kitchen sink. The board shorted in the furnace and I went to put a new one in today. Well, it never fails there is always 1 or 2 dead bats in the return stuck to the air filter. I think I figured out where they are getting into the attic but I'll be damned if I can find how they're getting into the return. I pull off the burner and blower doors. Pull off the top of the filter rack and pull on the filter, it snags, and all of a sudden there is a loud hiss. I'm thinking "What the hell is that?" Pull on the filter again and another loud hiss. I'm like there's and animal in the furnace. Now, I've never heard a bat make noise before, so I'm thinking maybe a squirrel or a possum, but I can't see anything. I look at the filter rack and see a wing on the back side. So I grab a Channellock's and pull on the filter a little more. Now half his body and 1 wing is accessible. He's hissing like a motherf'er and those little guys got some sharp looking teeth. I was amazed something so small is capable of hissing so loudly. A couple whacks with the Channellock's and I put him out of his misery.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Rare bat killed near Chicago.

ASPCA investigating!

3. Likes 2sac, heatingman, UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It is like an investigation...

Post Likes
    Hahaha wow let’s hope he wasn’t one of the endangered species hahaha. When I was in my early twenties I worked a few research jobs. One night I went out with the crew studying bats and they trapped quite a few of them. They have some gnarly teeth for sure! It was during a mayfly hatch and mayflies were everywhere. Well the guys was holding this bat and it was just snatching up the mayflies that were landing on his hand. The little guy was totally in kill mode. It didn’t even care that it had been captured
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    They are trespassers I don't care if they are the last one on earth they die.

7. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Need a cape if you are going to ding bats.

Had an opossum get chewed up in a blower wheel, mice & chipmunks on contactors, mice on compressor terminals, roaches in contactors, snakes in ducts & fireplaces, squirrels in fireplaces, opossums in ducts, snakes & frogs under houses, dead dogs & cats under houses, but never bats in the blowers!

9. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That reminds me of a residential call blower motor was burned up. Pulled it to change it and found a bigger sized bird In The squirrel cage. Looked all over the duct never found any access to how it got there. Still curious how it managed to get thru the filter....

Post Likes
    Just got done watching "The Joker" movie yesterday. I thought it was a pretty bad movie, as far as Batman movies go. Not a whole lot of action, and it was mostly just a long depressing movie that tried to make you feel sorry for how nobody likes this Joker fella. Anyways, I'm glad you didn't get bit and turned into the next Batman, 2sac. Sounds like it must have been an exciting few minutes!

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

12. Likes 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’ve seen a bat stuck to an air filter once. When I pulled the filter out, the bats head popped off as it passed through the filter slot!

14. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Just got done watching "The Joker" movie yesterday. I thought it was a pretty bad movie, as far as Batman movies go. Not a whole lot of action, and it was mostly just a long depressing movie that tried to make you feel sorry for how nobody likes this Joker fella. Anyways, I'm glad you didn't get bit and turned into the next Batman, 2sac. Sounds like it must have been an exciting few minutes!

I didn’t care for that movie either. It went super slow Imo
    “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Post Likes
    Where there's a will there's a way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    oh wow!

Post Likes
    2sac u didnt take any pics?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    2sac u didnt take any pics?
    No pics. I was a bit freaked from the hissing at first until I realized it was a bat. I was thinking a possum or a squirrel was going to attack me. LOL
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING