+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTF, changed whole house filter and no water from hot side?????? It is LOOOOOOOOONG

Post Likes

Angry WTF, changed whole house filter and no water from hot side?????? It is LOOOOOOOOONG

I have done this 4 times a year for the last 15 years and never an issue.
    I had this same scenario when the well pump was changed, only it was on both hot an cold.

I have a whole house filter and water softener. The plumbing has the ability to bypass each or both with ball valves(yes people who come in to look at things think it is overkill, but too bad).

When I change the filter I turn off supply to filter, open the valve that allows water to bypass to the softener. I close the valve on the outlet side of the filter, then open the other bypass valve to flow into softener. I figure doing this minimizes the air in the piping. Water still goes through softener. This way I don't add unsoftened water into the system while I am cleaning out the filter housing.

There is 8" of pipe from inlet ball valve to filter and about the same on the outlet. Air bleeder on the filter housing.

I install new filter into cartridge and reinstall housing.
    Open the inlet valve partially and allow housing to fill. Leak check, then fully open.
    Then close the bypass valve to filter(only flowing into filter now), close the outlet bypass valve and open the outlet valve(water now back to normal path).

Only other non standard thing I have is a water tempering valve, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cash-Acm...4644/206945096.

Coincidence or a contributing factor or a result: Basement bathtub single handle control does not have any flow on the hot side. Disconnected on the back, at the inlet hot side and have water to it, so a failure of some sort. This is only used for cleaning the filter, so 3-4 times a year at most.

Reconnected the bathtub control and removed the water tempering assembly.

I now have hot water.

So what the hell happened these 2 times?!?!?!?!?!?

Do I reinstall the tempering device and see if it works? I can blow through it, so it is not blocked/clogged.

Only other thing I did was also drain the water heater 1/2 way or so. There was little to no hot when I was holding the outlet of the water heater. I don't know how this would effect the 2 handle faucets, and I don't think it would impact the single handle either.
    I was thinking that the tempering device might have been straight bypassing.

Thanks for reading!!!!

These incidents may be unrelated as is the bathtub control
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    If you have No water flow through house , then it can only be that mixing valve causing that

If you have luke warm water all through the house instead of being Hot , it could be either one really

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    If you have No water flow , then it can only be that mixing valve causing that

If you have luke warm water all through the house instead of being Hot , it could be either one really
    Basically my thought.

But when I removed the mixing valve, nothing blocking it and I can blow in the correct directions to simulate operation(I have not tried running water through it yet).
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    If you find its the valve .... I actually have a brand new commercial grade mixing valve T&S 0RK1 ( zero RK one ) sitting in the garage , it looks like a small chrome faucet

You are welcome to have it

Its not automatic though ... you have to set it up to your desired outlet temp by turning the knobs

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in