+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IVu usb-tkit

Post Likes

IVu usb-tkit

I am looking for the specs of the wire ends for the IVu usb-tkit. I wish to make up a longer cable for reaching VAV's in the ceiling and not have my laptop on top of a ladder. Any help identifying the plugs at the cable ends will be appreciated.

Thank you

Post Likes
    I am pretty sure the pin out is on all controller labels, tagged as local access. Look at this picture. https://www.carrier.com/commercial/e...ation/opn-upc/

There should also be a label on the USB adapter cord. The board connector is 5 position with only 3 being used.

3. Likes MaxBurn liked this post.
    Post Likes
    on the usb dongle it has the plug terminations.

The positive is rnet + Negative is rnet - and ground is ground. you do not use the 12v+ point at the controllers rnet connection

Post Likes
    pin out isn't an issue. the plastic plugs for the wire ends is what I'm looking for.

Post Likes
    I believe that the dongle end may be https://www.alliedelec.com/product/p...0379/70054706/ The board end might be a Carrier special only but not sure.

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

... sitting in the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, listening to the air conditioner hum
    Post Likes
    I assume you're looking for the connector that plugs into the Rnet ports, not the 3 pin phoenix at the adapter itself?

Yeah, I could use one of those too. I spent a bunch of time searching for that brown Rnet connector, and never found one. I know someone like Digikey will have it, just way too many options to search through. Although, from them, I did buy a bunch of male and female variants of both the small and large Phoenix connectors, they come in handy as various adapters and splitters for testing. Like a female small to male large to plug my CCN converter for NSTV in place of an iVu dongle without undoing the screws. That kind of thing.

For what you are referring to, what I ended up doing was buying some of the micro phoenix connectors, male and female, and and extending that portion of the cord instead. Under the shrink wrap is a regular screw connector, in an emergency you could just extend the cord with bacnet wire and wirenuts. Alternatively, you could extend the USB end with a male-female USB extension.

The great professors of the art are not immune from the malignancy of matter and the eternal cussedness of inanimate objects.

Post Likes
    that I cant help with. other then get a USB-L kit and extend the wires.

But if you get a 4 pin female and a male you can make something that can go inline.

Dont buy a USB-L online. they are charging full retail online. Go to carrier and get one.

Post Likes
    this is the male connector you need to plug onto the board https://www.alliedelec.com/product/p...3594/70054752/

Post Likes
    you can use this. plug the rnet into here. and then get another male to plug into the board.

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/p...8138/71269102/

... sitting in the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, listening to the air conditioner hum
    Post Likes
    Attached is the last order for these that I made from Mouser, the part numbers should point you in the right direction. As to Phoenix connectors, the 3.81mm spacing ones are the mini-Phoenix used for Carrier Open stuff, and the 5.08 is the larger ones used for CCN stuff. The connectors that say "invert" are female connectors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The great professors of the art are not immune from the malignancy of matter and the eternal cussedness of inanimate objects.

12. Likes Cool breeze 38 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    thanks for the help, now to see what I can put together

Post Likes

Post Likes
    If the pin spacing is the same, that may work on the local access connector, but it's not the proper connector. Easier to make a custom cable on a 4-pin mini Phoenix than try to source that specific connector which will also require the pins and crimper and all that jazz.

Post Likes
    First off OP, did you realize that you don't have to go up into the VAV module itself? You can plug in right at the bottom of the room stat.

Post Likes
    You can only do that with communicating ZS sensors, they may not be using that kind. Regular ones like the T55 could be on there, too.

Post Likes
    True, but you guys still do that? I can’t think of one project we’ve done that with in my current company.

Post Likes
    The brown plug at the top of the cable actually comes off fairly easily. Use them enough under thermostats and it will happen for you. If you want, you could use those housing connectors directly to the exposed three pins at the end of the cable, and then rig up something to extend and re-glue the brown end. But honestly, the hold on the brown plug kind of sucks anyway, if you add that much weight it will likely just fall off or bend pins on the VAV.

Post Likes
    True, the connector itself is crap and I’m pretty sure all our techs cables are broken to some extent. They even fall apart cable wise eventuality, but thats after a decent long life.

Post Likes
    We have a few older VAV's that stop communicating and will not connect thru the stats. When that happens I have to get in the ceiling. Happens to 1 or 2 VAV's a year. Had one do it the other day which got me thinking about a longer cable again.

Post Likes
    Ah ok. Since you have the cable I know you have Field Assistant, so are you all comfortable with the update process for individual controllers. You may have done it already, but if not you can make sure you have the latest SAL files for you laptop and then check for updates in the driver properties page. It's curious certain ones stop communicating but not all. Where are the problem ones located geographically on your comm line? When you say older do you mean the VAV Open controllers that were gray with the light blue front? For them to not talk thru the thermostat makes me think it is a program or driver problem. If you exhaust other options and are comfortable with AppLoader, I would reload the VAVs from the RNET port on the VAV itself.

23. Likes Cool breeze 38 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in