Thread: Left-Handed Twist Ties

Post Likes

Left-Handed Twist Ties

Why is it in this right-hand dominant, righty-tighty / lefty-loosey world do I find so many twist ties that have been twisted on counter-clockwise?
    Is it because bakeries somehow attract lefties?

2. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post.
    Post Likes
    They hire sadists... Esp in PRC. Every item in a package is wrapped in plastic and tied multiple times.

Plus it has about 30 twists!

Prefer the plastic clips on food items.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    There is a twist tie machine that can do that.
    Maybe there is a reverse on it?

Post Likes
    Maybe it's done by machine?

Have you ever noticed that the muselet on every champagne cork has the exact same number of twists to it?

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Why is it in this right-hand dominant, righty-tighty / lefty-loosey world do I find so many twist ties that have been twisted on counter-clockwise?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

Post Likes
    Lol. It is nice to think about lifes small problems, especially when so many big ones are happening all around us...

You gave me an idea for the next time I send apprentice to electrical wholesaler. Left handed Marretts.

Then of course I couldn't help myself, so did some googling and found this:

https://www.electriciantalk.com/thre...nductors.9576/

(Sorry, I hope posting that link here is ok. Given the context, didn't seem to be any conflict with HVACtalk. Cheers.)

Post Likes
    I despise twist ties. When I was 19 I was thrown in jail for driving like an idiot and getting pulled over too many times. While in jail I got signed up for their work program or whatever it's called. They took a van load of us to some kind of a food bank where my job was to dump a scoop of oats from a barrel into a plastic bag with a twist-tie on the top. I think I did that for a week. Just that motion you have to do with your wrist to secure a twist-tie, over and over again all day long is enough to drive a person insane.

The funny thing is, is that I'm left handed, so this post put a little smile on my face. Thank you for that!

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

8. Likes icemeister liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Another lefty here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I had this discussion with my wife. I twist all of them cw and she does ccw, it drove me nuts.(She's a righty) The bread I get is a mixture of each so I did a little searching and as I understand it the twist tie machines seem to work on a spring and they do so many one way then switch back to the other. They can also be color coded for freshness or manufacture dates.
    Last edited by pageyjim; 11-24-2020 at 10:06 AM.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

11. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I am ambidextrous so whatever direction they do is fine by me .

Post Likes
    And why is toilet paper wound up the wrong direction?
    I remember asking a carpenter why the nail heads are on the wrong end? He said they go on the other side of the roof.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

14. Likes Turtleman, icy78 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I used to buy up to 10 loaves of bread from "Great Harvest" bread store.
    These loaves would be frozen when I got home.
    They would give you addition freezer bags for double bagging.
    The bags were rolled up and they would use their twister machine to put a tie on each bag.
    Thinking about all the bread they bagged, without the machine I could imagine cases of "tennis elbow" insurance claims....plus time factor.

16. Likes Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I think the cost to manufacture right-handed twist ties is slightly higher

Post Likes
    Everyone in the world is born right-handed, but only the greatest overcome it.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

19. Likes mnbvcxz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I work at a guys house who studies things about us as a species and certain things about us in general told me one time that we are all born left handed but most end up gravitating to right hand for whatever reason that hasn’t been figured out yet.

Post Likes
    I was talking to an electrician one time about wire nuts. He said it makes him so mad when someone twist a wire nut CCW. I am left handed. I twist ties CCW. I am surprised my wife has never complained.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leslie cook View Post
    I was talking to an electrician one time about wire nuts. He said it makes him so mad when someone twist a wire nut CCW. I am left handed. I twist ties CCW. I am surprised my wife has never complained.
    You know I had to think about that and it just dawned on me I do the same. It would seem weird to twist clockwise.

Post Likes
    Free smoke alarm check with every new furnace install!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by leslie cook View Post
    They should be put on cw being as that’s righty tighty. Some poor souls doing things basakwards and don’t even know it