Thread: Oil Traps

Post Likes

Oil Traps

My first time here. I posted in general cause i didnt see this section before. Seems like it would be better to post here.
    I understand the reasoning of making risers look good but i have never
    Used 45s to bring the riser back over after my oil traps.
    My logic is the trap is to increase velocity and entrain oil so putting 2 45s right after each trap is counterproductive.
    Am i right on this? What is best practice? I have seen both ways and never had a clear cut answer. I never do it personally.
    Have you ever had a manufacturer say somthing on factory startup? Or is there a clear answers as to what is right or wrong? Im not wondering about opinions here. Who has definitive information on this?

Post Likes
    Only offering my opinion here...oh, wait...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    Only offering my opinion here...oh, wait...
    Yes, i mean no offense. It just im wondering if someone knows for sure or not from credible sources that 45ing back over is counterprpductive.
    If your opinion is backed by something such as maybe manufacturer literature or maybe tech support verbal recommendation. Somthing like that. Maybe a job where it was strictly forbidden. If its just our opinion then we can argue all day. We dont have and supporting infromation for our claims.

Post Likes
    If you have enough piping that traps are necessary, I would be more concerned about adding equivalent pipe length by installing more fittings.

If you're not exceeding the recommended pipe length. I don't see a problem installing 45's after a trap.

Post Likes
    Can you link a picture, I'm having trouble visualizing what you are referring to. What do you mean by "back over"

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    If you have enough piping that traps are necessary, I would be more concerned about adding equivalent pipe length by installing more fittings.

If you're not exceeding the recommended pipe length. I don't see a problem installing 45's after a trap.
    Yes this is what ive wondered too. I just wonder if there is definitive answer on this. I havent found one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACDreams View Post
    Yes, i mean no offense. It just im wondering if someone knows for sure or not from credible sources that 45ing back over is counterprpductive.
    If your opinion is backed by something such as maybe manufacturer literature or maybe tech support verbal recommendation. Somthing like that. Maybe a job where it was strictly forbidden. If its just our opinion then we can argue all day. We dont have and supporting infromation for our claims.
    that's true. of course, because i have designed double risers many times (but not for a manufacturer) using their formulas, that is all i have. good luck.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Post Likes
    Nobody is stepping on your freedom of speech lol. Im not gonna argue with you though clearly you dont have a lot of brain activity happening since thats what you think.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAINIK View Post
    Can you link a picture, I'm having trouble visualizing what you are referring to. What do you mean by "back over"
    Visualize a pipe mounted vertically to a wall. Then a P trap points left, then straight up. On top of that, you install 2 45's going right, then facing up.....this puts the top section of pupe directly in line with the bottom section.

Post Likes
    This is a double post. Question already answered in the general forum by EHSX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Nobody is stepping on your freedom of speech lol. Im not gonna argue with you though clearly you dont have a lot of brain activity happening since thats what you think.
    Hang out awhile before you jump to conclusions!

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    This is a double post. Question already answered in the general forum by EHSX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Question was not answered.

Post Likes
    ESHX works for a manufacturer, and gave you their recommendations.

As long as you're not exceeding the equivalent pipe length, it comes down to space or looks.

The fact that the dupont piping guide, and other literature you've read, doesn't specifically address that practice, basically means it doesn't matter.....unless you're exceeding the equivalent length.

If you're trying to settle an argument with a coworker, you're not going to find the smoking gun for the win.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    ESHX works for a manufacturer, and gave you their recommendations.

As long as you're not exceeding the equivalent pipe length, it comes down to space or looks.

The fact that the dupont piping guide, and other literature you've read, doesn't specifically address that practice, basically means it doesn't matter.....unless you're exceeding the equivalent length.

If you're trying to settle an argument with a coworker, you're not going to find the smoking gun for the win.
    If he works for a manufacture then thats a good answer. Hoping theres more info than one guy. And there is no argument with a coworker. But yes a definitive answer would be nice.

Post Likes
    Also. Just because a literature doesnt say anything doesnt mean it doesnt matter. They dont tell you to ream your pipes or store them taped. They say best practices.

Post Likes
    If he works for a manufacture then thats a good answer. Hoping theres more info than one guy. And there is no argument with a coworker. But yes a definitive answer would be nice.
    There is no definitive answer to your question. Simpler is better, but there may be a reason the offsets are not desired. The limited tel addition (~2.5-8') will have minimal effect that probably is not measurable. The velocity will still be near vertical riser requirements. Refer to the Minimum Capacity For Riser (tons) and information in this manual.
    http://hvacrknowlagecenter.homestead.com/PipeSizing.pdf

I can email a later edited edition if desired, couple of edits/corrections from the original.

Post Likes
    Also. Just because a literature doesnt say anything doesnt mean it doesnt matter. They dont tell you to ream your pipes or store them taped. They say best practices.
    What about the yoyo's that use Short Radius or even plumbers elbows in ACR systems. I can't advise the customer to replace those offensive disgusting ell's because the freon velocity has not been compromised enough. I never read about that situation/ info being "directly addressed" as proof to its existence,but its my opinion that it does/can cause a problem.

Post Likes
    For what it is worth, the 'resistance' from a 45* is minimal. I go for looks all the time. Meaning, I try my best to make my piping as perfect and pretty as possible. Even when others won't see the piping. The idea is to always do the best I can, otherwise I won't know how good I am when it really matters.

In your specific case, what size is the copper? I like to bend the copper, and use as few fittings as possible. Obviously, that's only applicable on 7/8's and below.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

21. Likes R600a liked this post.