Thread: AJAX BOILER IGNITION FAILURE

Post Likes

AJAX BOILER IGNITION FAILURE

I have had an issue with an AJAX boiler, going off on ignition failure as its not lighting the pilot light.
    We have a 120v to 6000v ignition transformer that we verified the 120v (across the 2 leads and to ground.) in but we are not getting the spark/arc to light the gas verified every connection has good continuity and not grounded (the insulation blocks are good not cracked) from the ignition transformer to the electrode that arcs to the gas pilot, verified we have good gas flow. checked the transformer is good as we have an identical boiler and it works in the other one, have swapped out the fire eye as we have a spare on hand and still same problem. Verified good grounds on gas valve side also.
    Has anyone had any issues with these ignition transformers not arcing for any reason.
    MODEL-WRPG-1050-W
    SERIAL-64111

Post Likes
    On the working boiler, can you shut off the pilot gas and actually see the sparking at the electrodes?

I had a problem on a small power burner with failure to light.
    Turns out pilot pressure was too high and the fan would push the flame off of it's burner and away from the FS.

3. Likes beenthere liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sounds like the case of the transformer is not bonded to the pilots arc point or the arc gap is wrong, or the pilot is dirty - either built up carbon or dirt on the spark surface or the electrode.

Or you dont have the right gas/air mix at the pilot, but that wont stop the spark, just prevent ignition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I will have to check the pilot gas pressure but wouldn’t have thought it would have stopped the arc.

Post Likes
    I verified continuity from the outlet of the transformer to the tip of the ignition electrode and used emery paper to clean up every connection, and face, I did remove the electrode and clean that up and the electrode holder spaces it from the pilot gas outlet and gap was about a 1/8”, can you have the electrode to close?

Post Likes
    Assuming you have a viewing port of the burner, on the working boiler can you see the sparking at the pilot? Then do you see the same with switching transformers to the "good" boiler.

If you shut off the pilot gas you get more time to study only the sparking before it locks out.

The reference to the pilot gas pressure was that if it is too high the flame may light but lift off of the burner and lockout.

You could be lighting the pilot light but it is snuffed out by pressure or extreme air flow.

Post Likes
    I have viewed the pilot but zero sparks at all but on the good boiler it sparks no problem, and that makes sense if gas pressure is too high will not stay lit

Post Likes
    You know the ignition transformer works, so ask what is different?

A simple test.

Remove the ignition cable from the transformer, and hold the cable with a good pair of insulated pliers holding onto the insulated portion of the cable and bring the connector near the stud while its energized. You should see an arc.

No arc? - then the path is damaged. Either the cable, connectors, the pilot hood, or a lack of grounding back to the case of the ignition transformer. Or the transformer is not receiving power on the primary side.

To check that, remove the ignition cable. Take a piece of insulated wire, secure one bare end to the case of the transformer, and take the other bare end and get it close to the stud - no spark then - then you either have no power on the primary or the transformer is bad.

Post Likes
    Great advice I’m going to try that so I can at least verify the spark.
    Thanks for all of your advice and help I’ll keep you posted.

Post Likes
    Or, if you don't have a good pair of insulated pliers. Just switch ignition cables between the 2 boilers.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Found the ignition issue the wire was touching the pilot gas tube in a very congested corner of the boiler, thanks so much for all the tips they helped a lot to find this issue

13. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You bet. Be sure to return the favor to someone else. This site works best when its a 2 way street.

We help you, you in return help us when you can.

Post Likes
    Definitely what good is knowledge if you can’t share it , thanks again