Thread: New HVAC-ductwork replaced..vents?

Post Likes

New HVAC-ductwork replaced..vents?

Hey!
    Love this forum! Queries- Im in a house built in 1958. Lived here near 25 yrs. Our last ac heat system died in April- and we hired a company to replace it. A Trane XL14 was put in. Its taken me some adjusting with this-its different than the other units we had where it basically flips on and off blasting ac or heat.

The ductwork is original from 1958-it had holes in it and rusted looking. Also also was a older often when air rushed through it. So ductwork also replaced after the new trance system installed.

Query-after new flexible ductwork was put in-the air flow is much much stronger! Which I figured it would be-but it was so strong it was interrupting my sleep. Like the heater-kicks on and it would get hotter in my bedroom than other parts of the house. The installer says its bc he needed to adjust the flow-using the dampers that were part of the new ductwork. So he did adjust the one to my room. Is this typical? Dampers needing to be adjusted with a new system?

Also-new vents were put in 2 rooms in the house due to the old vents being on the wall not the ceiling. Is there much of a difference in cooling/heating where vent is? In my room I just didnt want workmen digging around to find where to put a vent in the ceiling-so left the vent as is-on the wall...Thanks for helping in advance.

Post Likes
    Wall vents/supplies are okay as long as they are mounted near the ceiling. Other wise you get a blast of air blowing on you. They also need to be directing their air toward an outside wall.

Sounds like they under sized your duct system/supplies.

A 6" flex duct is not rated to move as much air as a 6" round duct, at the same pressure.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    ok that makes sense-the vent in my bedroom is on the wall above the closet-facing the outer wall.

4. Likes beenthere liked this post.
    Post Likes
    also the trane fourance is model TUD2C080A9V4VB . trane xr17 4TTR7048- 4 ton- is the ac fyi.