Thread: Germicidal UV HVAC - opinion

Post Likes

Confused Germicidal UV HVAC - opinion

I initially posted in the wrong forum... Was hoping for a feedback from the owners about about Germicidal UV,
    Specifically if this is an upgrade that makes sense. Don't want to have another maintenance item, that just doesn't do much.

>About to install 72W furnace Germicidal UV purifier with two 16" UVC light bulbs OZONE free switched by the blower. May replace the bottom bulb with UVV....
    >No mold on the N coil, have AprilAir 700 humidifier above that (we do not use), but can not install UVC there.

If you install or had someone installed for you HVAC/furnace/AC UVC lights I would really appreciate feedback on how well they work?

Thank you so much.

Post Likes
    They work to kill anything the light can touch, but there are many places the light doesn’t hit like your duct work, coil fin packs, blower wheel, etc. I recommend them for keeping algae from growing in pans, if the application is right, but if your duct work/house is leaky, duct work undersized, humidity in the house is too high, and/or you have poor filtration, a UV light won’t do any good. Too many people have the expectation that they can turn their house into a hospital and nothing is further from the truth.