Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys test for substances in your employees? (talking about weed obviously)

Post Likes
    Pots legal here too but we still get tested for it. Kind of annoying but I’ve gotten used to it. I’m union but it’s really the refineries that dictate our drug testing requirements. We have random UAs with at least one every five years. It’d be nice if they tested for pot like they test for alcohol, just to see if you’re on it at that time.

Post Likes
    Bottom line is don't be stupid. Unfortunately, from what I have seen in my 26 years of HVAC is that stoners are vastly stupider than drunks.

Grab the drunk a beer around 10 am and he can get a lot of good work done. Nothing can be done for the habitual stoner.

Post Likes
    I agree with stoners being very slow, I dated a woman with a very nice rack in my wasted youth who started very casual with weed that turned into weekends only...then it was only after work to take the edge off...ironically I got in trouble because I was around the second hand portion of it and tested positive....I was actually told to lose the girl or my job....

Long story short, she would be very forgetful and just not want to do anything but smoke weed...I did get rid of the “girl”

A week later She lost her job as a dental hygienist because she no longer did the quality of work that was expected of her...Quite a few patients was complaining....

It’s just like any other addiction...you might not see it causes harm but it really does...you should always defend your work, not defend the weed, coke, meth, etc...but the story is always the same...I know a person who takes it and are better from taking it...the problem is, you really don’t know the whole story...

But if you want to hear all the excuses in proper form, go to open meetings on all the addictions...only active members of recovering addiction can go to closed meetings..I have been to the open meetings to support my friends who got help and are in very good hands...

And yes! Weed is an addiction! All addicts will tell you the key sign is when you start defending the drugs over anything else...you are an addict and need to get help...go see for yourself

4. Likes ehsx, heatingman, John Culpepper liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
    Pots legal here too but we still get tested for it. Kind of annoying but I’ve gotten used to it. I’m union but it’s really the refineries that dictate our drug testing requirements. We have random UAs with at least one every five years. It’d be nice if they tested for pot like they test for alcohol, just to see if you’re on it at that time.
    Got to love disa
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

6. Likes Red Man liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just a few comments today before going back to doing something.
    Alcohol usually appeals to older people 40+ and pot usually to younger people.
    CBD will test positive in a drug test.
    I have had a med pot card for over 3 years and used it for personal reasons before that. Not everyone enjoys the effect. Every user has a drug of choice. One size won't fit.
    Heavy drinkers will seem ok until the alcohol begins it's later effects. Pot smokers might seem stoned but no evidence of any brain damage. Alcohol can kill.

This is the New World and employers are going to need to find a way to keep their talent. Why some people need or want to alter their consciousness is personal and won't be answered by others asking why life isn't enough. The beginning of the temperance movement was to get husbands to go back to work and stay out of the tavern.
    Most people don't have a very interesting life. This is shown by how they spend their time. Psychoactive drugs can have a effect on creativity in some people but most people are just not very creative. No talent or desire. Even a genius IQ needs a reason to use it or they just don't. This was once a study that followed geniuses to try to understand why some go nowhere. Seems they need some sort of mental trauma to have a reason to use their head.

The world has lots of mind altering molecules growing or made in a lab. In my yard are at least 3 and I could grow many more. I have no interest but know others do. If a person wanted a psychedelic garden there are many they could grow. Dozens. Lots of people want to get high. I knew a woman ( girl actually) that set off to the coast because she wanted to try heroin. WHY?? But there ya go.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

8. Likes Red Man liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Got to love disa
    We went to ASAP for a while, but now we’re back to DISA. I’ve been picked for a random twice in a seven day period and I’ve gone four years without getting picked. It definitely seems pretty random.

Post Likes
    States and Fed need to get on the same page, means to test levels of the narcotic in one's system need to be figured out, and finally states, whenever such ability to test levels is invented, would need to agree on what levels are deemed to be classified as inebriating, like alcohol.

Here in Utah, if you are pulled over with anything higher than .05 you are driving drunk, but what if they suspect your high, because your acting a bit funny (getting off a 24 hour shift from hell) and you either piss or get a blood test? That gummy bear from a few evenings back, and a few hits on your neighbor's pipe, "it will help you get some sleep" may be enough to put you in jail, impound your car, and life as you know it has gone to hell, can't drive a company van now, so your career is gone for a while. Wife is dropping you off at work and your riding shot gun en-route to hang duct with that toothless guy you were making fun of only a week prior.

11. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    States and Fed need to get on the same page, means to test levels of the narcotic in one's system need to be figured out, and finally states, whenever such ability to test levels is invented, would need to agree on what levels are deemed to be classified as inebriating, like alcohol.

Here in Utah, if you are pulled over with anything higher than .05 you are driving drunk, but what if they suspect your high, because your acting a bit funny (getting off a 24 hour shift from hell) and you either piss or get a blood test? That gummy bear from a few evenings back, and a few hits on your neighbor's pipe, "it will help you get some sleep" may be enough to put you in jail, impound your car, and life as you know it has gone to hell, can't drive a company van now, so your career is gone for a while. Wife is dropping you off at work and your riding shot gun en-route to hang duct with that toothless guy you were making fun of only a week prior.

I have made comments about this in the past, and I am sure I will be lambasted for it, again.

Ever since M.A.D.D. got going back in the 80's, they have gone way overboard with this impaired driving crap!! I grew up with both my parents always having a beer between their legs while driving with the 3 of us kids in the backseat, raising hell, on our way to the pizza parlor. While we played video games, they drank a few pitchers of beer. Cracked a couple beers on the way home, we always got home safe.

That isn't an outlandish story for those days. Pretty much the way it was for a lot of families, a lot of people in general. A lot of people are fine with having some alcohol and driving. A lot of people are "not" fine completely sober.

The government needs to get out of the way when it comes to a lot of these "drunk driving" instances. I would bet you that these people were horrible drivers to begin with, and they just happened to be above some "genie in a bottle" percentage that is way, way, way too low IMO.

Ok, beat me up now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    I have made comments about this in the past, and I am sure I will be lambasted for it, again.

Ever since M.A.D.D. got going back in the 80's, they have gone way overboard with this impaired driving crap!! I grew up with both my parents always having a beer between their legs while driving with the 3 of us kids in the backseat, raising hell, on our way to the pizza parlor. While we played video games, they drank a few pitchers of beer. Cracked a couple beers on the way home, we always got home safe.

That isn't an outlandish story for those days. Pretty much the way it was for a lot of families, a lot of people in general. A lot of people are fine with having some alcohol and driving. A lot of people are "not" fine completely sober.

The government needs to get out of the way when it comes to a lot of these "drunk driving" instances. I would bet you that these people were horrible drivers to begin with, and they just happened to be above some "genie in a bottle" percentage that is way, way, way too low IMO.

Ok, beat me up now.
    "Buzzed/drunk driving is ok"
    "Weed is bad"
    Jesus christ

14. Likes Red Man liked this post.
    Post Likes
    As well you should be! You had video games as a kid? All I had was rocks to throw at trees, and sticks to beat against rocks.

Then I learned about sex, drugs, and rock and roll. But still no video games.

Ok, beat me up now.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by YOUNG FROSTY View Post
    Yes i respect that but i think you missed what i was saying. If johnnyboy is grinding it out at work, happy customers, quality craftsmanship, etc, then why does he need to piss in a cup? If johnnyboy's quality is slipping, angry customers, showing up late, why does he need to piss in a cup? Just discipline him for slipping, or fire him. The whole drug test part is unnecessary. We have all seen people fall to pieces from drugs and alcohol, but i also have seen equally as many people who were partying up with weed on the weekends but were holding down high dollar, technical jobs with finesse. Its just not right to lob everyone together into one group of "undesirables"
    Because MY name was on the truck and everything the stoner/drunk does right or wrong puts a liability target on my chest. I had more to lose in assets than a typical employee.
    A lot of ya'll that only sign the back of a paycheck just don't get it that you are a representative of of the company 24 hrs a day

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    As well you should be! You had video games as a kid? All I had was rocks to throw at trees, and sticks to beat against rocks.

Then I learned about sex, drugs, and rock and roll. But still no video games.
    LOL, well I was addicted to Ms. PacMan and Galaga for a long while .

18. Likes sammyray liked this post.
    Post Likes
    LOL, well I was addicted to Ms. PacMan and Galaga for a long while .
    Spent much of my teen years at the arcade. Galaga and Centipede were my vice. Well that and the crappy reefer of the time and Miller High Life.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I remember when Pong came out, then Asteroids, wooo hooo. Ok, so much for video games.

One thing I have noticed in this discussion about substance use is that those that think it is ok are looking at it from a "me" only position. Drunk driving was never about what happened to you in your car but the people in the car you hit. Drug tests are not so much about you but the liability you are heaping on the employer. The cost to society if you abuse substances is not bared by you but by your family/loved ones.

As far as I am concerned what you do on your own time is up to you, but if you can't make good decisions for your self and your family it brings to question how good of decisions you will make for the guy giving you just a paycheck. At least I would hope your family is more important than just a paycheck.

As to the medical side of the issue, at this time I don't know that there are any good answers. If people need it for pain etc we need to figure out how to deal with that but still keep the casual user in check.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I remember when Pong came out, then Asteroids, wooo hooo. Ok, so much for video games.

One thing I have noticed in this discussion about substance use is that those that think it is ok are looking at it from a "me" only position. Drunk driving was never about what happened to you in your car but the people in the car you hit. Drug tests are not so much about you but the liability you are heaping on the employer. The cost to society if you abuse substances is not bared by you but by your family/loved ones.

As far as I am concerned what you do on your own time is up to you, but if you can't make good decisions for your self and your family it brings to question how good of decisions you will make for the guy giving you just a paycheck. At least I would hope your family is more important than just a paycheck.

As to the medical side of the issue, at this time I don't know that there are any good answers. If people need it for pain etc we need to figure out how to deal with that but still keep the casual user in check.
    That's how addicts think. Very self centered and "You just don't understand" That's exactly how my grandsons father was until the last time he shot heroin/fentynl into the tattoo of my grandsons footprint he had on his arm. I hope he's rotting in hell.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Addiction is interesting. We generally think of substances but addiction paints with a much wider brush. Most of us have known people with a computer addiction to what some call social media. Others have addiction to sex. The list is long but it's all a similar compulsive behavior. They have to do it.
    Just for an example Trump seems to be addicted to Twitter so he can appear to have the last word. and the need to always win even if means cheating. I said Trump because he's very visible. We've all had the chance to observe him and his compulsions.
    Look around at the people you know. It might surprise you at how common addictive compulsive behavior is in it's many forms. A good psychologist can analyze these behaviors, like alcoholism, on the phone by asking a few questions. That's how visible it is to someone trained.
    Most compulsive behavior when it's in full bloom is harmful to the person and those close. Even what is seen as creativity when combined with this behavior can lead to very destructive experience.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Addiction is interesting. We generally think of substances but addiction paints with a much wider brush. Most of us have known people with a computer addiction to what some call social media. Others have addiction to sex. The list is long but it's all a similar compulsive behavior. They have to do it.
    Just for an example Trump seems to be addicted to Twitter so he can appear to have the last word. and the need to always win even if means cheating. I said Trump because he's very visible. We've all had the chance to observe him and his compulsions.
    Look around at the people you know. It might surprise you at how common addictive compulsive behavior is in it's many forms. A good psychologist can analyze these behaviors, like alcoholism, on the phone by asking a few questions. That's how visible it is to someone trained.
    Most compulsive behavior when it's in full bloom is harmful to the person and those close. Even what is seen as creativity when combined with this behavior can lead to very destructive experience.
    I have a friend addicted to weight lifting, he is what you would call a "gym rat" and when gyms were forced to close due to covid he went nuts, believe or not he was arrested for breaking into a gym LOL there is not such thing as good addiction!
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

24. Likes YOUNG FROSTY, BALloyd, hvacker, sammyray liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I personally think Trump uses Twitter as an outlet as compared to letting things bottle up inside..some psychologists do say that is a good remedy and therapeutic..

And the Demonrats are addicted to Trump in every sense of the word whether or not he is on Twitter, lol...a really bad case of ocd most times...Lol

If a Demonrat dies, do all the people they stole/defrauded money from get a refund? I’m sure all expenses are covered when they get to hell, lol

26. Dislikes YOUNG FROSTY disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    I have a friend addicted to weight lifting, he is what you would call a "gym rat" and when gyms were forced to close due to covid he went nuts, believe or not he was arrested for breaking into a gym LOL there is not such thing as good addiction!
    I am also addicted to weight lifting. When the gyms closed down at the beginning of this year I decided to build my own. No, literally. Build. I constructed a power rack and a powerlifting federation spec flat bench, I built a calf block, designed a free hanging pullup bar out of chains and a 1 inch black pipe, I built a dip rack for dips, used free weights and a weight vest for weighted pullups and weighted dips, etc etc.

28. Likes HVACbyICT liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited1 View Post
    I personally think Trump uses Twitter as an outlet as compared to letting things bottle up inside..some psychologists do say that is a good remedy and therapeutic..

And the Demonrats are addicted to Trump in every sense of the word whether or not he is on Twitter, lol...a really bad case of ocd most times...Lol

If a Demonrat dies, do all the people they stole/defrauded money from get a refund? I’m sure all expenses are covered when they get to hell, lol

First it's wrong for you to refer to your fellow citizens as rats. They are your neighbors and fellow workers and have as much at stake in preserving our Democracy as you do. You do want to preserve our democracy right?
    If Trump used Twitter simply to vent he would have just complained rather than attack on a platform that offers little chance for his victims to respond. This is especially true when his attacks are blatantly untrue and mean spirited. Playground bully.
    Your last comment is right up there with Trump's vindictive attempts to end democracy. It's not Reps V Dems, it's Americans V tyrants.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast