+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys test for substances in your employees? (talking about weed obviously)

Post Likes
    That's funny!

"Oh yeah, we did a background check and drug tested all of our employees."

Quote Originally Posted by BadDaddy420 View Post
    Doesn’t always mean they “passed”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

2. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by YOUNG FROSTY View Post
    So just like with anything there's a range of what's acceptable and what's not. Someone can get boozed up on friday night and be stone cold sober monday morning. It's been happening for decades. Same thing with weed, get high around the bonfire friday night, have a fresh mind monday morning. It's because of morons that go off the deep end (like these installers) that make it so everyone else gets ****ed by the rules. Making weed illegal was stupid in the first place. It's nowhere near as bad as any of the other schedule 1 drugs. Between heroin and weed, which of these is responsible for more societal issues and disasters? What about meth? Some people close their eyes and yell loudly so they don't have to reckon with reality. Unfortunately a lot of those people are lawmakers
    The thing about is there are widely available tests to figure out if someone is drunk or at least has a impairing amount of alcohol content in there blood. If there is such a similar test for THC, Im not aware of it, and if it exists, it’s certainly not widely available.

So as such its just easier to simply make a blanket no drugs policy.

Honestly Id be much more concerned about getting a job then worrying about being able to get stoned.

Soon enough we’ll be under total lockdown in this state, so you’ll be able to get as high as you want. Just make sure to pay your taxes on it an ld its all gonna be fine.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    So just like with anything there's a range of what's acceptable and what's not. Someone can get boozed up on friday night and be stone cold sober monday morning. It's been happening for decades. Same thing with weed, get high around the bonfire friday night, have a fresh mind monday morning. It's because of morons that go off the deep end (like these installers) that make it so everyone else gets ****ed by the rules. Making weed illegal was stupid in the first place. It's nowhere near as bad as any of the other schedule 1 drugs. Between heroin and weed, which of these is responsible for more societal issues and disasters? What about meth? Some people close their eyes and yell loudly so they don't have to reckon with reality. Unfortunately a lot of those people are lawmakers

You're right it basically stinks but I wouldn't expect anything to change regarding this situation for a long time if ever.

It never should have been made into a Schedule 1 Class Drug in the first place imo. It was done by Nixon I believe in 69 or 70 probably.

I think there are a few ways to look at it. One would be to refrain and try to get that dream job in a union. You are young and just starting out in the trade, you have less than 1 year of experience. The real next step is when you get 3-5 years in, that is when many more doors will open. That experience can be had in many places that don't test, just avoid picking up bad habits in the field. By that time you are 28-30 I guess and may be past the point of getting high or may be close to opening up your own shop and you can test yourself all you want.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    You're right it basically stinks but I wouldn't expect anything to change regarding this situation for a long time if ever.

It never should have been made into a Schedule 1 Class Drug in the first place imo. It was done by Nixon I believe in 69 or 70 probably.

I think there are a few ways to look at it. One would be to refrain and try to get that dream job in a union. You are young and just starting out in the trade, you have less than 1 year of experience. The real next step is when you get 3-5 years in, that is when many more doors will open. That experience can be had in many places that don't test, just avoid picking up bad habits in the field. By that time you are 28-30 I guess and may be past the point of getting high or may be close to opening up your own shop and you can test yourself all you want.
    I remember long ago...the saying was..someone will always have to sweep the floors and clean the toilets....they will always complain how life is not fair but they refuse to look at how they are living their life and for ways to improve it...

If you want something bad enough you will find a way to obtain it, both good and bad, but don’t complain because you put yourself where you are supposed to be...

7. Likes heatingman, YOUNG FROSTY, ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited1 View Post
    I remember long ago...the saying was..someone will always have to sweep the floors and clean the toilets....they will always complain how life is not fair but they refuse to look at how they are living their life and for ways to improve it...

If you want something bad enough you will find a way to obtain it, both good and bad, but don’t complain because you put yourself where you are supposed to be...
    Thanks, I needed this. :/

Post Likes
    In the early 90's companies started drug tests here. At one of the Intel build outs were riding the bus to the job and I overheard a guy saying he had taken a herb, golden seal I think, to pass the test. Problem came up when he tested too clean. Didn't know a test could be too good.
    Not long ago at Los Alamos lab there were times where they went to hair tests. Then guys started shaving their heads. I think hair folical tests are invasive and probably could find an amendment saying so. If a person in not showing any effect and a urine test is negative, the search should end there. What's next, lie detectors?
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

10. Likes doc havoc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    see thats just the thing, I always wondered why I heard the drug test was a hair test, wouldn't any normal stoner just shave off their hair on their body? And honestly a hair test is a casual user's dream. If you pop an edible every now and then, or have a few bong rips every week or two, its not gonna make your hair "dirty" enough to pop as positive on a test, even though your piss is dirty. Hair tests rely on usage-over-time. You gotta be a heavy or a frequent user to get nabbed by those. Piss tests are the opposite, you can be a heavy user but lay off for a couple weeks and crank up the cardio and you'd be good to go.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    In the early 90's companies started drug tests here. At one of the Intel build outs were riding the bus to the job and I overheard a guy saying he had taken a herb, golden seal I think, to pass the test. Problem came up when he tested too clean. Didn't know a test could be too good.
    Not long ago at Los Alamos lab there were times where they went to hair tests. Then guys started shaving their heads. I think hair folical tests are invasive and probably could find an amendment saying so. If a person in not showing any effect and a urine test is negative, the search should end there. What's next, lie detectors?
    Never heard of that either. I have heard of tests coming back diluted. That usually comes from trying to drink too much water before a test and certain levels being too low.

13. Likes YOUNG FROSTY liked this post.
    Post Likes
    "The legal history of cannabis in the United States pertains to the regulation of cannabis (legal term marijuana or marihuana) for medical, recreational, and industrial purposes in the United States. Increased restrictions and labeling of cannabis as a poison began in many states from 1906 onward, and outright prohibitions began in the 1920s. By the mid-1930s cannabis was regulated as a drug in every state, including 35 states that adopted the Uniform State Narcotic Drug Act.[1] The first national regulation was the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937.[2]

Cannabis was officially outlawed for any use (medical included) with the passage of the 1970 Controlled Substances Act (CSA). "

Nixon gets blamed for enough....

Go work for a stoner and you won't have to worry. (just finding one with a reliable business may be an issue)

15. Likes heatingman, ga-hvac-tech, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The drug tests are of the wizz quiz variety. Hair and whatever else tests have never been done for normal occupational related testing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    @hvacker,
    Funny you mention that (lie detector). The first, last and only time I have had to get a Drug test was back in the late 70's (1979 I think). It was a Pre-Employment test. I also had to submit to a Lie Detector test as well. That was interesting...

All that just to go to work at a Lumber Yard, go figure.

Maybe 6 years ago we were doing summer work in Schools. A PM told me we that everyone in my company working "In" the schools had to get a 5 panel UA (Whiz Quiz). I looked the PM straight in the eye and told him "We are working in Student Contact areas but there are no Students in the building. If you demand we get tested you better have your HR person call our Legal advisor because, if you push this, everyone in the school will have to get tested. And Mr. PM, half of the employees will not pass that test" !

He threatened to throw me off the job at that point. A couple days later the Super on the job told me the PM was re-assigned and we didn't need to get tested.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes
    I thought the hair test was because the THC would get locked up in the hair, and could not be altered as easily as a piss test.

see thats just the thing, I always wondered why I heard the drug test was a hair test, wouldn't any normal stoner just shave off their hair on their body? And honestly a hair test is a casual user's dream. If you pop an edible every now and then, or have a few bong rips every week or two, its not gonna make your hair "dirty" enough to pop as positive on a test, even though your piss is dirty. Hair tests rely on usage-over-time. You gotta be a heavy or a frequent user to get nabbed by those. Piss tests are the opposite, you can be a heavy user but lay off for a couple weeks and crank up the cardio and you'd be good to go.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    THC metabolites will show up in your hair. However, it takes two things, time and concentration. As with any drug test there is a threshhold of what's unacceptable. If they made the threshhold too low everyone would fail, so they set it high enough to where normies won't pop but someone using frequently would, since it's obviously not an exact science (only approximate). Also, THC metabolites circulate in your blood and your hair follicles will collect these metabolites (fat soluble). However, your hair folicle is below the skin and it takes approximately one week for a follicle on your head to produce a hair that extends beyond your scalp. Essentially, your hair is backdated by about a week. What this means for you, the weed smoker, is that if you know you have a drug test coming up on wednesday, you can smoke all weekend long and still pass with flying colors because the dirty part of your hair is still below the skin. This also means if you smoked a single hitter 6 weeks ago it probably won't show up on your hair (concentration not high enough)

Post Likes
    If any you guys end up requiring your top secret government clearances, you have the luxury of getting a polygraph and at the same time you sign that if needed they can take hair samples, and worst case worse spinal fluid. In addition they scrutinize your financial, criminal, and background info like crazy, and they even take the time to visit with some of your neighbors. My bankruptcy back in 2007 raised a bunch of eyebrows and almost prevented me from getting my clearances, they think if your not financially stable or fiscal that you have a higher chance of taking bribes. I must report immediately if I get a speeding ticket, or if I fall delinquent on something, etc. If they catch it before you report it, you have some explaining to do.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I thought the hair test was because the THC would get locked up in the hair, and could not be altered as easily as a piss test.
    My understanding is a folical test will tell your complete drug history. No idea if that's true or how long or if it's a scare tactic.
    Biden will most likely take pot off schedule one. I'll drink to that. Do I hear "Can O' Worms?"
    I once saw a patent issued to the Fed for cannabis. I had it on my computer but can't find it. There intent was rather vague.

I would think a chemist could create a more perfect drug. Many people want to get high but except for pot most others hurt your health. In the book Breve New World they had a drug called Soma that fit that purpose. It did what you wanted. Tobacco does that to an extent. If your tired it energizes you. If you need to concentrate, it helps you do that. It also can kill you. I smoked years ago but can still remember how it seemed to be for everything.
    In India some use a plant by the same name Soma. Not sure if the book was referring to the same drug.

Employers would like to hire only perfect people. Not to do a perfect job but to keep insurance costs low. Never happen and they will loose some very good people.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    If any you guys end up requiring your top secret government clearances, you have the luxury of getting a polygraph and at the same time you sign that if needed they can take hair samples, and worst case worse spinal fluid. In addition they scrutinize your financial, criminal, and background info like crazy, and they even take the time to visit with some of your neighbors. My bankruptcy back in 2007 raised a bunch of eyebrows and almost prevented me from getting my clearances, they think if your not financially stable or fiscal that you have a higher chance of taking bribes. I must report immediately if I get a speeding ticket, or if I fall delinquent on something, etc. If they catch it before you report it, you have some explaining to do.
    Got to wonder if it's worth it. When I had a lot of Gov work the rules were not that crazy. But they have a lot to loose. I quit bidding work after 911 because access on base took too long. The trucks would be lined up along the access road and it could take more than an hour. Good work but difficult conditions.

Post Likes
    Got to wonder if it's worth it. When I had a lot of Gov work the rules were not that crazy. But they have a lot to loose. I quit bidding work after 911 because access on base took too long. The trucks would be lined up along the access road and it could take more than an hour. Good work but difficult conditions.
    I detest anything that makes access after initial clearance difficult.

Most refineries that I work at are like this. Totally fine if your there daily or every week or so.

But when you go only when there is a problem, may have been months since the last visit. Everything deactivates.

Nothing better then being woken up in the middle of the night and begged to come and get a boiler online, only to drive an hour and get the run around at the gate cause your access card has been deactivated for seldom use. Then you have to wait around for someone to find the active supervisor to override the gate attendant. And then there’s the having to shave thing, that drives me up a wall. Must be clean shaven just incase you need to don a SCBA, yet Im not cleared for that anyway, but still need to shave.

Even though its good money, I find it so annoying Id rather not deal with it at all.

Post Likes
    I started requiring drug tests after a " good " tech started having lots of call backs . he was the only one out of 9 to refuse to go & get tested. I took everyone including me to testing lab. After that just random or accidents.

Post Likes
    Terminate/Discipline employees for having poor work performance, not for having a substance in their system. See the difference?

26. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in