Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Static Pressure Frustration

Post Likes
    I agree with heatingman to hell with tact. To get things fixed right I had no choice most of the time but to slam dunk the so called design engineer. There were times even that didn't work and the job had to bounce before anyone would listen to a lowly TAB guy.
    On one government job I repeatedly tried to get the install right before starting the TAB. I was finally directed to balance it as installed and when they had to make all the changes I told them needed in writing they thought they were going to negotiate my extra. My extra was legit and the negotiator who was from out of town realized it pretty quick and gave me every penny.
    He ask me if anyone listened to my suggestions and then added they should have.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have done some work in a assisted living facility, the have smoke dampers in the duct. They have so many places where the damper motors are practically inaccessible. I know of 2 that are within a foot of a fire rated wall. 1 of those 2 I had to get the local fire inspector involved as the only way to get to it was cut the wall open. Then how do you get it back to fire rating and still leave it serviceable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I have done some work in a assisted living facility, the have smoke dampers in the duct. They have so many places where the damper motors are practically inaccessible. I know of 2 that are within a foot of a fire rated wall. 1 of those 2 I had to get the local fire inspector involved as the only way to get to it was cut the wall open. Then how do you get it back to fire rating and still leave it serviceable.
    If it’s in your scope, you remove and reset the duct damper to be accessible and a contractor rebuilds the wall with 5/8” rock! On some they are doubled to keep a 2 hour rating with the fire putty

On my end I don’t have to worry About it, it’s the smoke detector/fire alarm techs problem because their system is connected to it...I opened the inspection hatch confirm open or close and write it up .

However I do have to replace the spring activated SA vent fuseable 160 degree links if found closed and that’s a pita! I use 2 pcs of pvc on each end to hold it open when replacing the links

The fire marshal in my areas don’t allow inaccessible dampers and Most times a few are caught during their inspection...the duct guys correct it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234