+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any of you all finding a success in this forum ?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

Any of you all finding a success in this forum ?

I have a big pile of stuff that seems less-then-common to me sitting around. I have new chiller controls, flow switches, voltage/phase monitor/safeties, 1 ton to 150 ton TXV's, horizontal screw compressor shaft seals, etc. Also refrigeration temperature controls, bearings for 300 HP motors, - all kinds of shet. I'll never use it but somehow or other it hurts my arm to keep throwing it away.

Worth listing here (in your experience) for dirt cheap or is the trash can really the best answer?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Im interested in temperature controls

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    OK; I'll start setting them aside for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Im interested in temperature controls
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I just dumped 10 years worth of commercial parts. 3 garages full of everything from motors and speed drives, to controls and chiller parts, even had an 800 lb. Low pressure tank mounted recovery machine that worked great.

While I was able to sell a few larger single items here, I ended up finding a local company to buy everything. I gave them a good deal, considering they could resell my refrigerant stash for more than what they paid me.

If I added everything up, I prolly had close to 50G in stuff. But, as you can imagine, I got only a small fraction of that. But I cleared out my garages, they got some great stuff. And we were both happy.

You might consider that route, just find someone local to make a bulk offer....no shipping, packing, etc. On your part, just unlock the doors and watch them do the work!

Post Likes
    I am apparently become insane in the presence of 'mechanical stuff'. When I am away from it I firmly resolve that I will go back and empty the shelves into the trash. When I have things like boxes of new wound-wire pilot igniters for RTU's which were last produced in 1968 in my hand - I hesitate. Sometimes indefinitely. <g>

Racks of odd sizes of L copper, buckets odd sizes of fittings. Crane shaft seals. Chiller controls. Oh hell; it's pissing me off just thinking about it to list here!
    PHM
    --------

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Decluttering - does it bring you joy?
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    In the way that I think you mean; no it does not.

Now I do find an immense and sustaining joy in Not Having Clutter.

For example; I buy a house and move into it empty.

A bed, a dresser, a nightstand, a lamp - OK; my bedroom is done.

A sofa, two laziboys, an end-table & lamp between them - OK; my living room is done.

A table and four chairs in the kitchen - OK; my kitchen is done.

And then every day I am through and through De-Lighted to be living there.

But with an existing house of mine: basement, trailers, sheds, etc. literally filled to overflowing with primarily mechanical stuff - the prospect of Having No Clutter brings my spirits up. But . . . . the Actual decluttering-of-it brings me only depression and madness. And having someone else mindlessly do it produces even worse result.

Logically I can easily project:

"What would happen if a fire burned the house to entirely gone while I was away?"

"An immense feeling of relief and a delightful 'lightness of being' feeling?"

"Yes! Of course!"

"Well; throwing everything away will be the same net effect, right?"

"Absolutely! This is going to be great! Let's jump with both boots and beat this job senseless! After all; I am ME!"

But then in a few minutes of the actual decluttering-event - the dark depressing madness is back. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Decluttering - does it bring you joy?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    It's a tug-of-war. We're moving from a building on my property to a larger one with adequate space and offices. As I sort through some of the old things that haven't been used in months and more often years, I find it hard to throw out something that works. Even if it needs to be adapted to a use that wasn't its intended. My parents grew up during the depression and were reluctant to throw things away. I tend to like simple, the way you describe the rooms in your house. But when it comes to mechanical stuff, or my other passion - drums, I think that if I don't have it I will need it eventually. I get lots of pleasure in buying a new tool or more drums, but along with it comes the responsibility of ownership. And finding room for all my stuff.
    As it is, I get really annoyed if my wife decides to tidy up my desk. I know where to find things among the piles. But getting annoyed with her has another set of consequences.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    I find that the annoyance with her often results in less available stress relief at exactly the point where the annoyance with her has created the added stress you would like to get rid of. It's a bad catch-22 to get caught up in.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    It's a tug-of-war. We're moving from a building on my property to a larger one with adequate space and offices. As I sort through some of the old things that haven't been used in months and more often years, I find it hard to throw out something that works. Even if it needs to be adapted to a use that wasn't its intended. My parents grew up during the depression and were reluctant to throw things away. I tend to like simple, the way you describe the rooms in your house. But when it comes to mechanical stuff, or my other passion - drums, I think that if I don't have it I will need it eventually. I get lots of pleasure in buying a new tool or more drums, but along with it comes the responsibility of ownership. And finding room for all my stuff.
    As it is, I get really annoyed if my wife decides to tidy up my desk. I know where to find things among the piles. But getting annoyed with her has another set of consequences.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Which reminds me:

A man goes to his doctor and confides says he is deeply depressed. His night-shift job stresses him out and he sees no hope for the future.

The doctor asks him if he's in a relationship and the man says he is.

The doctor says, “That’s very positive. There are times when I feel like you do. On those days, when I get back from work, I cuddle my wife and we make love all night: it really helps. See how that goes for you and come back to see me next week. “

The man trudged out of the office.

A week later the man returns to his doctor's office. He looks happy and relaxed - very different from how he looked when he was last there.

The doctor says: “You look much better, did you take my advice?”

The man says: “I certainly did - and you were right; it really did help. And may I say you have a very lovely home.”
    PHM
    --------

12. Likes Gunslinger, Snapperhead liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I just went through that emotional roller coaster. I guess the advantage i had was that I had to get 22 years worth of crap into a 20' box trailer, then move 1200 miles across the country.

The wife and I had been talking about dumping everything for years, but could never do it....basically for the same reasons as you guys......"man that part cost a grand new, and its still good, or my grandma gave me that China set years ago...I know its ugly as he'll, but dammit, it came from her" LOL!!

But then, it was like a light switch tripped.....I went from "can't bare to part with it" to ...."get rid of it all....if I can buy it later, dump it!" It was actually a great feeling when it was all said and done.

Fast forward 6 months. We're in a much smaller house. I've found that everything is close at hand...nothing in the basement, not in another building, not at my rental property, etc. Etc. I've actually used my tool boxes more in the last 6 months than the last 6 years.....because, well, now I can just walk right up to them, as they're no longer buried behind a pile of motorcycles.

I'm much happier without having to think about all that crap in the attic, the basement, the garage, the other 5 garages full of crap, the rental properties, etc.

PHM, you have to hit that point where the switch flips....for me it was a life changing event. Maybe you should sell all your properties, and all your crap, buy a really nice class A, and tour the country. After all, you're not getting any younger, and you can't take any of it with you when you die.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Which reminds me:

A man goes to his doctor and confides says he is deeply depressed. His night-shift job stresses him out and he sees no hope for the future.

The doctor asks him if he's in a relationship and the man says he is.

The doctor says, “That’s very positive. There are times when I feel like you do. On those days, when I get back from work, I cuddle my wife and we make love all night: it really helps. See how that goes for you and come back to see me next week. “

The man trudged out of the office.

A week later the man returns to his doctor's office. He looks happy and relaxed - very different from how he looked when he was last there.

The doctor says: “You look much better, did you take my advice?”

The man says: “I certainly did - and you were right; it really did help. And may I say you have a very lovely home.”
    And you're out of scotch.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in