+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thermal Cameras

Post Likes

Thermal Cameras

Been thinking about getting one. Currently looking at the FLIR C5 as an option. Any thoughts on this and possible other models to consider?

One thing that is a bit puzzling is that there are higher priced models with a lower thermal sensor resolution and I'm not clear why - unless it has to do with other features available such as wireless connectivity etc. Eg FLIR E4 with a sensor resolution of 80 x 60.

Post Likes
    I have the Flir one and have been happy with it, that being said, I only use it 10-12 times a year.
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

3. Likes JayMan7, N2fords liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    I have the Flir one and have been happy with it, that being said, I only use it 10-12 times a year.
    I probably use mine even less than that. I really don't find it that helpful. I mean yeah it's helpful but would I buy it again idk. The main thing I like it for is looking at electrical stuff to see if there are hot spots. It can be good to show to customers if they have bad insulation for example but a lot of times something like that is obvious without needing the flir.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    I have the Flir TG267 and I love it, had an E5 years ago it was nice too.

Post Likes
    I think Fluke Ti45FT or TiS45 would be good alternative, it can detect temperature variations and also gives a 2-hour power backup.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the suggestions. It seems some of the other options suggested are cheaper than the model I was looking at. I looked at the FLIR One but saw feedback about issues with the phone app crashing etc. It might depends on the OS - possibly the issue is with the Android or the ios version.

For some of my customers I perform a home system analysis which goes beyond just the equipment. In some cases I look at the building envelope as well as airflow and ductwork improvements as part of the system assessment. I don't think I would be using it much but feel it could be useful in certain situations like helping pinpoint excessive heat intrusion or loss in places which gives the customer an option to address those issues as well as part of getting a new system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel01 View Post
    I think Fluke Ti45FT or TiS45 would be good alternative, it can detect temperature variations and also gives a 2-hour power backup.
    At a price tag of $16,000 or so. I don't think so. My budget is $1K or less for this.

Post Likes
    Seek ShotPro if your looking for handheld or the Seek CompactPro if your liking for on that goes on your phone.

They outperform the Flir equivalent models. And who doesn't like being different?

Post Likes
    seek shotpro

Post Likes
    What do you utilize the heat sensor for in resi units?

Post Likes
    ok I guess I did not update this thread. I ended up purchasing the FLIR C5. So far happy with the limited use I have with it. Not yet downloaded the image software to go with it.

What I so far have been using it for - providing thermal scan of outside walls and windows and attic ceilings when doing a site visit in order to do a room by room Manual J. This allows the customer to make any corrections or updates due to excessive heat loss or gain in places prior to installing a new system.

Post Likes
    I bought the seek thermal shot pro after comparing to the various FLIRs. Definitely more bang for the buck and I didn't need the reporting features that the FLIR offers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in