Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech guy says filter/drier should never be replaced.

Post Likes

Tech guy says filter/drier should never be replaced.

I have a tech guy comming to fix the txv valve on unit that is just 2yrs old. I had read here that the problem could be filter drier (per the problem the system is having).. Told him about checking filter drier and he just told me to stop reading things on internet and that the filter drier never gets replaced. That it's there for the life of the unit. I have seen videos and read here that if unit is opened it should be replaced. How do I get him to listen to me about this? I don't want to get another guy. Nor do I want to get into an argument or be rude. Am I being too paranoid? He already ordered the valve so can't tell him not to proceed now. He insisted the filter drier doesn't need to be replaced. Please help! Need advise before Thursday.

Post Likes
    Ask him if they never get changed. Why do HVAC supply houses sell them.

Your filter drier may or may not need changed out. It is good to change it out anytime the system is opened to the atmosphere. If he doesn't, no way to tell if it will cause issues, until it does.

Some techs are reluctant to change them out, when they are inside the condenser cabinet, as it involves more work.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If your problem is the TXV , then sure , he can get away with not changing the drier.

If the problem found is a "leak" in the system , then its a good idea to replace it

Post Likes
    Anytime I open a refrigeration system the drier gets changed. It is there to help remove moisture. Once moisture gets into the refrigeration system, The moisture will cause acid that may take a few years to cause a problem.
    Doug

6. Likes BaldLoonie, 2sac, ksefan, R600a, lkapigian liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Wait a minute here, who's working for who ?

8. Likes 2sac, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Time to find a different tech!

10. Likes 2sac, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Time to find a different tech!
    hes probly Old and set in his own ways .... you wouldnt understand

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    hes probly Old and set in his own ways .... you wouldnt understand
    Im old but change the drier every time it gets opened!

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Find the service manual for your unit and see if it states anything in there.

While he is correct, the internet can lead you astray, this is not one of those cases.

Ask him, if you don't get a better tech, what the purpose of the filter drier is.

If he is brazing, will he flow nitro?
    Will he pull a proper vacuum, with a proper gauge or just for a specific time?

Questions, questions, questions.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    The driers inside the condenser cabinet can be a PITA, but it still should be changed. He could remove that drier and install a new one in a more accessible place. For ease of future service.

https://sporlanonline.com/literature...l/uk/40-10.pdf
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

16. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Im old but change the drier every time it gets opened!
    I've never understood why some techs think us older folks are just still living in the 19th century, we change the drier "anytime" we open up a system. I can't even count the times I have had to go behind some of the younger techs here, I actually had a lady say to me the other day when I knocked on her door, she opened it and said "I'm glad you have gray/white hair and beard, or I would not let you in". My message here is, there are a lot of great older and younger techs, age has NOTHING to do with how good a tech is. One thing I will say about us older techs, you will never find one of us that hires on as sales tech, why? because we grew up with different morals. This is why all the large companies here won't hire older techs, they only want "Sale Techs" they don't want someone that can repair something.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

18. Likes Cagey57, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    He's an older guy indeed. He's working for me and I want him to change it but he said it doesn't need to he touched. The system froze over and he hasn't spoken about a leak neither. Makes me feel dumb since I'm a woman. Husband tells me to let him do his job...lol So am I being too pushy here? I'm just going by what I've read in these forums.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Kane View Post
    He's an older guy indeed. He's working for me and I want him to change it but he said it doesn't need to he touched. The system froze over and he hasn't spoken about a leak neither. Makes me feel dumb since I'm a woman. Husband tells me to let him do his job...lol So am I being too pushy here? I'm just going by what I've read in these forums.
    System froze over because of a leak or bad x-valve?

How old is this system? Refrigerant type? (You can find this information on the outdoor unit ID Tag)

Is the drier inside the outdoor unit or visible outside of the cabinet?

Post Likes
    My drier is outside attached to condenser unit.

Post Likes
    He said it's the valve by checking outside by the condenser unit with his pressure gauges only. Hasn't talked about a leak. He's coming to fix the valve tomorrow. Unit is a Carrier R22 and it's 2yrs old. Put in in Jun/18.

Post Likes
    I don't care about age. I was just wondering why he told me that filter drier is never changed and it's good for life of system which is not what I learned here. He just doesn't want to change it Period.
    That's why I came back here to ask... If he doesn't change it. What could happen. Will the system have problems again in a short time? Then he will want to change valve again or say system is damaged?

Post Likes
    The way a drier works, is it had desiccant inside. This is in the link I posted previously.
    The desiccant holds moisture, but doesn’t eliminate it. There’s a limit to how much moisture and debris it can hold.
    This is why it needs to be changed. As each time the system is opened, moisture is allowed in.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Kane View Post
    Unit is a Carrier R22 and it's 2yrs old. Put in in Jun/18.
    Something is not correct about this statement.

26. Likes NETWizz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Btw. He's the second tech that comes. The first one was a young guy. Shows up finally at 7pm when its already dark outside and also said it was the valve but wanted $ to fix it. Saying it would take 4hrs to fix. ( $/hr) This older guy will fix it for $ total and says it's 2hrs of work max. ( valve is covered by manufacturers)
    So, of course, hubby went with cheaper guy.
    The young guy didn't speak of changing filter drier either.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-28-2020 at 08:03 PM.

Post Likes
    I dont know techy lingo. It's a Carrier unit. Uses r22 gas and was put in on June of 2018....?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast