Thread: Not Installed Correctly? Bryant Evolution 986T

Post Likes

Confused Not Installed Correctly? Bryant Evolution 986T

I'm not sure I trust my installer... He installed a new Bryant Evolution 986T 80K BTU dual zone furnace installed (2 stage heat with variable fan + AC condenser). He replaced our original 2 wires to the Nest Thermostats with 4 wires.

- Then when the AC was on, the fan pumped cold air - fan is clearly on high - like level 10.
    - But when the HEAT was on, the fan is always very low - like level 2. The fan never kicks on into high gear.

I told him this and he did some research and found out that he needed to run 8 wires instead of 4 - so stage 2 would kick in. So he re-ran the wires.

Now we have the same issue. The only difference is that now the NEST Thermostats says "STAGE 2" when the heat is on, but the fan is the same low level. I would think that if it's 50 degrees out and we turn the thermostat up to 80, it would take a while, but eventually the fan would start to blast heat. I called Bryant but they told me I had to talk to him. But to be honest, I'm not sure if he has installed an Evolution before...

Am I correct? Crazy? Wrong expectation? Do I need to call him back to adjust the dip switches and settings?

Post Likes
    Nest sucks. It's a shiny piece of junk that overcomplicates a simple task.
    AFAIK, the Evolution is a communicating system. All those nice features you paid for only are available with the thermostat that is designed for it.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    The fact the contractor would agree to hook up the N E S T POS is reason enough to be concerned.......Be very concerned!

Post Likes
    You paid for a night end Evolution furnace and crippled it with a Nest?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Apparently! Argh. I now see that the NEST can't control the Bryant Evolution Variable Speed Fan! How frustrating. Questions:

- Since I have a two zone system, do I have to get two of the Bryant Evolution Connexx Controllers? Or can I use one for the main house and a Nest for the second zone (office)?
    - We only have the Evolution Furnace and AC unit. We don't have the humidifier, ventilator nor purifier. So it appears the only thing the Evolution ads for me is the variable fan speed - correct?
    - Do I have to order the Bryant Evolution Connexx Controllers and have them installed by my current installer (who I don't trust). Or is this something I can order and install myself / another installer?

Just trying to figure out if I can save a bit of money here as we already way over budget! Thanks!

Post Likes
    If it is a zoned system you will need to use Evolution zoning. Dampers, control panel, one Connex controller and a zone sensor or Smart Sensor. You can hire any Bryant or Carrier dealer to supply and install the system. Would be a good time to have install inspected and system setup verified.

Benefits are full control of staging, variable speed fan, and enhanced dehumidification control.

What area of the country are you in?

Post Likes
    Thanks! We are in California near the coast. So pretty mild winters and summers. Sounds like we over-bought the system (and under bought the controllers!) But my wife is very sensitive to noise so I thought getting a variable speed fan would help her sleep at night...

Post Likes
    See what the zone panel is? Did he really use an Evolution panel or one that doesn't communicate with the Bryant equipment?

Post Likes
    I see a Honeywell HZ322 panel attached to the furnace... Is that what you mean?

Post Likes
    You paid for and got a Maserati but turned it into a Yugo!

Your contractor, and whomever configured this equipment package, has ZERO clue what he is doing.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in